U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM

15,964 posts, read 15,572,166 times
Neph...would you fling yourself in front of an oncoming train and save your dog's life by giving up your own? If you can say that, and maybe you can, you can truly say that your dog is like your child.

I'm not trying to discount the love you have for your dog, just saying that some things are instinctive, such as a parent not hesitating to give up their life for their child if necessary.

Quote:
You make this sound like some type of badge of honor that your proud of ....freezing in town is nothing to be proud of.....its just plain stupid.
It happens in the lower 48 as well.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,720,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Perhaps....but even those nascar idiots that race in a circle for 500 miles embrace new rule changes, ideas and technology that can save lives and make their "sport" safer ?
what part of HISTORICAL did you miss???? what in toilet bowl racing is historical that saved peoples lives...???

Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM

67 posts, read 130,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
yes I do and you are not a "true" animal lover if you do not understand the bond.

Please, any other animal lovers on here who have children, tell me there is no difference between losing your pet and losing your child.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 PM

2,510 posts, read 1,297,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlane1981 View Post
Hey, I'm an animal lover to the the core and agree with what you wrote- I was devastated when Alaska Air lost my cat. But to compare that to losing a child? That is utterly ridiculous. You must not have children.

And Jersey Boy is a joke. Literally. This has all got to be tongue-in-cheek, right? Right? No one is this stupid. Right?
I like animals also and have a dog I adopted from a shelter but resorting to name calling like "stupid" only demonstrates that you either have nothing relevant to say or you lack adequate vocabulary to articulate a relevant point or fact.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:34 PM

67 posts, read 130,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
To some people, including myself, a dog, or any other animal, is just like a child and just as important. I do not have children, and never will, but my dogs are my children and as important as any other living being. If on of my dogs is bad, I smack them on the ass, just like I would with a child, and NO it is not cruel to give them a good smack, child or dog.

It is very sad that dogs are lost at times in the race, but 99.99% of the time the owner did everything in his/her power to save or protect the dog from harm.

Which is exactly why you are delusional about children and animals being of the same caliber. Have a kid, then get back to me.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:35 PM

15,964 posts, read 15,572,166 times
Quote:
Please, any other animal lovers on here who have children, tell me there is no difference between losing your pet and losing your child.

Can't say I'd pass the fling test myself...that's what it comes down to. It's easy to say that you love your dog as much as a parent loves a child but when it comes to flinging yourself in front of a train to save Fido, I honestly don't think that very many people would really do that.

8,672 posts, read 9,769,341 times
Something went wrong somewhere that those dogs died, but I highly doubt it was done on purpose. I do recall when the race started that there was talk about Nome having some more-than-usual bad weather. It may be hard for you to imagine being from the city, how vast the open can be, especially with snow, wind, blowing snow.

I would bet this incident was an accident, unlike how many bulls are blatantly tortured and killed in the sport of bullfighting, I believe that sport is barbaric when you want to speak of stupid human behavior. How many dogs are lost in illegal dog fights, how many roosters in **** fights, all these are knowing the outcome. If a horse goes down in a horserace, what happens? Is the jockey sued, the owner, the people at the track? I think that would be an accident

2,510 posts, read 1,297,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sometimes it's not a choice but rather a reality of living in the North.

Just because someone doesn't live an urban lifestyle does not mean they are "backward".
Agreed.....but you have to admit that "freezing in town" and then defending it as a way of life certainly sounds backward ?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,720,634 times
Quote:
again...duhhh....that is the difference between "you" people and us true animal lovers and yes...myself, and lots of other people I know would in fact put their lives in jeopardy for their animal, just as they would for their child. that is the difference between you and us. you will never "get" it.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:38 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,436,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Neph...would you fling yourself in front of an oncoming train and save your dog's life by giving up your own? If you can say that, and maybe you can, you can truly say that your dog is like your child.

I'm not trying to discount the love you have for your dog, just saying that some things are instinctive, such as a parent not hesitating to give up their life for their child if necessary.
Yes I would Met, without any hesitation. They are my children. That's why I said some people. I know that a lot, if not most, would not do that. It's just the way I am. I have much more respect for animals then I do for people, just always have.

I can also completely understand why someone wouldn't do it for a dog, but would for a child. It's the way they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska