U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,974,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer818 View Post
Well, the peta'ist's or petans or whatever the heck ya call em, or as I like to call em, the PITA Club.
One word would suffice for those people: MORONS.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 AM

4,988 posts, read 5,656,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Holy crap! 39 pages in two days? Met had it right on the first page. As soon as PETA gets involved in anything, credibility goes out the window. There's nothing else I could say that hasn't possibly already been said.
Did you go back and read thru the posts from the guy from New Jersey? That was some real funny sheesh!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Did you go back and read thru the posts from the guy from New Jersey? That was some real funny sheesh!
I guess now I'll have to now.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:12 AM

21,047 posts, read 22,904,855 times
Only thing that came out of Jersey was Springstein, he sucks though. Never did like his music.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:15 AM

OK, I read that nonsensical crap from FlyersFan. His moniker was a tip-off immediately that he was mentally unbalanced(I'm saying that as a Pittsburgh native and die-hard Penguins supporter). However, I don't understand the thought processes of people like that. And I don't care to.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 AM

6,271 posts, read 8,074,678 times
Where I live in Alaska, there is a number of Iditarod winners/racers.

I sponsored a musher for a number of years and really looked forward to going to the Musher's Banquets and such.

There is a lot of dog mushers that run dogs just for the joy of being out in the wilderness and moving along in the quiet of the day with only the sound of the dogs panting and the sled hissing along on the trail and many never give it a thought about racing.

Now for the dogs issues in the Iditarod.

Every year there is a couple of dog deaths, none for the most part are attributed to someone abusing their dogs (there are a couple of examples, but rare), most mushers put their dogs ahead of their own needs.

You have about 80 mushers on the race plus or minus each year, but will use that number for example.

Most teams start with about 14 dogs, so 80 X 14 is 1120 dogs, the average life span of that sized dog is about 13 years or so on the average. So out of 1120 dogs divided by 13 years should have an average death rate of 86 dogs a year.

These dogs are not the average though, they are in very good shape, Vets check them at every checkpoint, any abuse seen by the vets will cause the racer to be expelled, sometimes for life.

You can't make the dogs run, if they are tired, they "Crash", that is where the whole team just stops and lays down, there is nothing you can do to make them go any farther until they are rested. All the musher can do is break out the cooker and make them some broth and a bit of food and let them rest. When they are ready to run, they will let the musher know it.

The causes of dogs deaths have ranged from the dogs being stomped to death by moose on the trail, dog fights between teams, hit by snowmachiners that in some cases have been drinking, heart attacks in older dogs and other unrelated oddities. But abuse isn't one of them, nor is it tolerated.

What amazes me at the start of the race or just when the dogs are going on a training run, they are as excited as if a person asked their own dog if he/she wanted to go for a ride. They get all excited and can barely contain themselves jumping around all over the place. They love to run and enjoy the trail.

Normally, the lead dog(s) is more like the family member to the musher, but all the dogs are treated fairly well, I don't like the dog lots per say, where the dogs are contained in a small area, but most are taken care of and let off to run around daily (not in all cases, but most).

Many of the dogs are not the household type breeds, they are closer to wolf than Fido you have at home, again, there are exceptions... One year a guy raced giant Poodles and they froze to the ground because they don't have guard hair to keep warm. They had to use a hair dryer to get them unfrozen from the ground. Since then all "Non Traditional" sled dog breeds are banned from the race, which is good.

I myself prefer the snowmachine, I park it and turn off the key and walk away until the next ride with an occasional grease and overall check. Mushers live for their dogs all year, my snowmachine sits under a tarp till winter again raises it's white head....

Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 AM

17,976 posts, read 5,967,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Ooooh, and then you could have a nice bowl of ice cream made from fresh human breast milk. Yummy!!!

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte (http://www.wsoctv.com/news/17539538/detail.html - broken link)
LOL....

and PETA also likes to ''request'' that names of high schools are changed....

Rapid City Journal | News Top | PETA petitions Spearfish school to change name to Sea Kitten High (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/01/07/news/top/doc496507e67d4c0852005061.txt - broken link)

Congrats, to all the Locals, on this forum......there are some wonderful posts, in this thread.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 AM

4,163 posts, read 5,975,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
LOL....

and PETA also likes to ''request'' that names of high schools are changed....
PETA petitions Spearfish school to change name to Sea Kitten High

Rapid City Journal | News Top | PETA petitions Spearfish school to change name to Sea Kitten High (http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/01/07/news/top/doc496507e67d4c0852005061.txt - broken link)
I saw that. Phhhhbbbbt. Then they will want the town to change, the Canyon's name, the creek....it will never end.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 AM

4,988 posts, read 5,656,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Only thing that came out of Jersey was Springstein, he sucks though. Never did like his music.
He's pretty painful to look at too!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I saw that. Phhhhbbbbt. Then they will want the town to change, the Canyon's name, the creek....it will never end.
Those people should honestly be forbidden from reproducing(just kidding but seriously). The gene pool gets polluted by such ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska