U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 37,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlane1981 View Post
And on the subject of these dogs, I am very irritated by the stupidity of some military families up here. I live on one of the bases, and it is ridiculous how many huskies/malamutes you see being given away on our local for-sale board, saying "can't give him the attention he needs", or "too energetic".

People move here with the romantic idea that they're in Alaska, so they want these Alaska dogs... then stick them in a townhouse with a tiny fenced in backyard. These are running dogs, people! They need space and a ton of exercise! They are miserable in your itty bitty backyard.

I think the bases should do more to inform people. Because obviously they aren't going to do the research.
Well, if all the breeders in the state would stop all the unnecessary breeding of them it would not be a problem. The breeding of this breed in your state is way out of control. Sooo many are in shelters there already and people continue to breed them there! Bye the way, any home for these dogs is better than none. I would say some people are taking them in just because the poor things need a home!
There is too much breeding overall of all breeds all over!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 PM

16,445 posts, read 9,611,060 times
I don't like PETA, either, they are hurting the vegetarian cause.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:29 PM

21,040 posts, read 22,825,010 times
Some humans shouldn't breed....

Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 PM

67 posts, read 133,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4grl View Post
Well, if all the breeders in the state would stop all the unnecessary breeding of them it would not be a problem. The breeding of this breed in your state is way out of control. Sooo many are in shelters there already and people continue to breed them there! Bye the way, any home for these dogs is better than none. I would say some people are taking them in just because the poor things need a home!
There is too much breeding overall of all breeds all over!

Responsible breeders don't do this. It's the backyard breeders.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 PM

17,862 posts, read 11,806,665 times
People Encountering Testy Alaskans

Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM

10,483 posts, read 9,683,487 times
I have nothing against PETA really, however I'm starting to wonder if some of the people on this thread are PETA members who are trying to get their message out there.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,960,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I have nothing against PETA really, however I'm starting to wonder if some of the people on this thread are PETA members who are trying to get their message out there.
I've been wondering the same...I mean, what wood pile do these people come from?!

Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 PM

4,629 posts, read 6,271,994 times
Can anyone really speak with authority as to the amount of quality vet care these dogs get?

In a sport where time determines the winner, how long do the dogs stay at the checkpoints? Enough time for a few veterinarians to check all of the dogs' health? That seems impossible to me. In fact, it is impossible. The vets often simply ask the mushers if there is a problem with their dogs. Is this not true, have I been misled with this information?

There have always been great problems with the vet care. Any musher knows that. (I know this from a vet who actually worked for several Iditarods).

I hope this is OK to post (since Rebecca Keating's name is clearly on it and I am not misrepresenting it~~).

I absolutely LOVE this pic! Take that you moose! HAHAHA ~~~~

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/Blinka2351/MackeyvsMoose.jpg (broken link)
What is very cool about this is how the dogs' eyes are fixated on the dog-hatin' musher there. Wonder what they're thinking...like "you go first"???

Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,634,626 times
Dogs are never abandoned on the trail. That's not a vile rumor, it's downright malicious. A dog injured on the trail is carried in the body of the sled until the next checkpoint. Where it is turned over to the vet. Who treats the animal and it is then flown out on a plane (manned by volunteers called the Iditarod Air Force) to Anchorage for further treatment and rest.

If a dog team is too tired or cold to race or even walk, they will just huddle into the snow and refuse to move. If a musher mistreats his team, they will not work as a team and just continue to get entangled, refusing to move. The dogs set the pace of the race, not the musher. It is why dog teams are well known as champions in their own right. Most of the animals in Alaska live in the cold, and I don't see moose trying to get into my house to get warm at night. Ditto squirrels, porcupines, beavers, bears or birds. My biggest wild animal problem is a moose stripping the bark off of the chinaberry tree in my backyard and leaving presents for spring yard cleaning.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM

16,445 posts, read 9,611,060 times
Alaska must be a weird place. I remember when the photo of Palin shooting a moose was in the media over here, she was considered a stone-age monster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska