Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,418 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are a USCG family (no kids) moving to Ketchikan in June of this year. I've been looking online at sitnews, alliance realty, the chamber of commerce page and pretty much every other resource (including scouring this board for Ketch topics) about Alaska that I can find and I need any additional information you guys can provide please.

A little about us; we are early 30's, love the outdoors (hunting, fishing, camping, etc.) and are from the PPACNW.... basically we are stoked to be able to be in such an awesome outdoor playground... planning to hike & hunt for Dalls, moose, etc while we are here and do alot of offshore fishing for halibut, etc.

What I want to try to find out is if there are any other ways to find rentals before we physically arrive besides the avenues listed above (allaince, gateway, sitnews and remax);

What social groups/clubs are available (googled this but couldn't find anything, but would really like to become part of something fun/cool and meet some people with similar interests);

What the town outside of the tourist season is like (are there places to go see local musicians, etc?);

What the typical cost of energy is (ie how much should we be expecting to allot each month for heating/electric and utilities?) and;

How hard is it going to be for me (spouse) to find a good, stable job (I'm sober/no drugs, extremely reliable, very friendly and intelligent and work a professional oil & gas industry job in sales currently and for the past 2 years)? I've looked at the online databases and have found alot of seasonal stuff but nothing permanent. I would ideally like to do an active/outdoors job with the forestry service or something of that nature, but in the end I will just be looking for a full-time, permanent job... do you all suggest that I just go from business to business with my resume once we arrive?

I've scoured this board and tried to find answers to the above so I hope that I didn't just overlook a thread and you guys are hearing another one of the "we're moving, please help" things...

We are VERY excited to be moving and are really looking forward to meeting some cool, like-minded people. Thank you guys ahead of time for letting me pick your brains. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
If you'll send me a PM I'll put you in touch with my daughter. Her husband is CG and they are transfering to Anchorage July 1st. The place they are renting may be avaliable. Otherwise call Guy Mickel at Remax and talk to him. He's handled all my real estate stuff in Ketchikan and he's one of the more honest realtors in town.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,418 times
Hey stiffnecked, I tried to PM you a few ago and it says that you are not accepting private messages... how do I get in contact with you?

Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
I just sent you a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: