Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 10:24 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,455,950 times

Advertisements

Friends, who does know why the thread " How many of you can actually see Russia ..." has been closed ?

Last edited by Лютый; 05-27-2009 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Friends, who does know why the thread " How many of you can actully see Russia ..." has been closed ?
Anytime someone butts heads, the thread gets closed....

Posted a photo of a Russian biplane Antonow an-2 for you in the Alaska Airplanes thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Why was my poll deleted?

Oh that's right; because one of the no life forum trolls had another meltdown and decided to ruin a fun thread just because he could.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Anytime someone butts heads, the thread gets closed....
Certainly, everyone appeals to his own experience and knowledge in the time of the discussion of any question. The experience can be based on the personal practice and impression. The knowledge is formed with the scientific works to be learned. Among the scientific works, the primary sources and the evidences of eye-witnesses (who indicated on the real facts) have much more creative value than any analytical works of contemporary historians, who depends on subjective opinion and on so called “ the state and social order”.
As for the point at issue, for the impartial valuation it would be useful the acquaintance with not only American experts and eye-witnesses but Russians ones. In this case I can offer the well-known Diary of Russian merchant Grigoriy Shelikhov (in Russian - Григорий Шелихов) who took the most direct part in the formation and the development of so called Russian America. I would not be surprised at the some change of the opponents’ opinions to more objective appraisal after reading of this Diary.
I would like say only one thing here. The heritage influence of any nation is the complicated and lengthy historical process which can not end in a moment. Hence it would be thoughtlessly to assert that the influence of Russian heritage had finished “without leaving the trace” at once since 1867 … . And in additional it's need remember always that Orthodoxy was and is the integral part of the Russian culture.

Last edited by Лютый; 05-27-2009 at 11:01 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
I saw this one movie on TMC or AMC twice and can not remember the title. A young man is in love with a girl, but has no money to start a family so he enlists with a fur trader as a hunter for his party. They have ox pull a ship on a trailer as they go thru Alaska- the idea is to fill it with fur and once they get to the other side of mountains, they sail down the river. The hunter gets attacked by a bear and is left for dead by his buddies. Indians find him, but also leave him for dead due to his injuries. He however survives and tracks the fur trader for a revenge, while staying safe from Indians.
He gets a chance to kill them, but Indians attack at the same time. They capture the whites, but let them go free recognising the hunter left for dead and admiring his self made weapons and will to live.

I wish someone knows what is this movie called. I would love to have a copy. I wrote to the movie channels once, but they were not able to help me...
I remember the movie, but don't recall it being in Alaska, seems to me it was done in the Lower 48 based in the early 1800's or late 1700's or so, and they went over the Rockies and crossed the desert and such.... Think I have it on a vhs somewhere, if I find it I will let you know what the name is.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Why was my poll deleted?

Oh that's right; because one of the no life forum trolls had another meltdown and decided to ruin a fun thread just because he could.
What poll? Start a new one!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
What poll? Start a new one!
LOL--the fun police will just kill it. They've learned how to pull the strings.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Posted a photo of a Russian biplane Antonow an-2 for you in the Alaska Airplanes thread
Thanks, Mark This biplane is the toiler of Russian sky.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
Thanks, Mark This biplane is the toiler of Russian sky.
If I recall correctly, that was one of three that a guy bought to resell in Alaska. But there was some kind of Issue with the "Jones Act" that didn't' allow the plane to fly commercially in the U.S. and they guy couldn't get the other two into Alaska after the story hit the newspaper.

He was going to sell them for about $80,000.00 each, but went broke instead... Don't know if that was the same plane, but it has been parked for years and doesn't appear to be going anywhere soon.

Too bad too, looks like it was a heck of a plane! I have heard stories of it's duties here and there, but never a complete history.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:01 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Thanks starlite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska