U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,806,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK...I think you're misunderstanding something. The whole stupid "mofo" thing was started by another poster pages back who was using it to describe the weather (a pretty common phrase here). I think that John was typing back at her and not directing at insults at you when he used that word.
OK ... Got ya. And what about John's "You bastard" posted to my adress? In this case I think it's need no any brave to insult someone by internet. So John have shown his own real face here. I think so ...

Last edited by Лютый; 10-07-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,604,812 times
Quote:
OK...I think you're misunderstanding something. The whole stupid "mofo" thing was started by another poster pages back who was using it to describe the weather (a pretty common phrase here). I think that John was typing back at her and not directing at insults at you when he used that word.
Met...I think it was this page that got out of hand.

JohnPF
friend of Metlakatla - befriend
918 posts, read 227,123 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый
Thanks. Got it. Well, well ... . I thought about JohnPF better.

You bastard. I have only posted a link to an explanation of your linguistic dillemas. Like you don't swear everyday.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Yes, Bonnie. Unfortunately it was the foul behavior of John.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,650,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
now, now. we Italians take offense to that insinuation!!!
This was the real deal - I was coached in the elevator going up to the penthouse. I've never been treated so well in my life since I was a friend of a friend. Didn't mean to insult Italians in general. It was actually quite exciting - they took us to all the hot spots and we got first class treatment all the way. I was happy when we were on our way, though. I had to proof everything I said before I said it - you never know when your subconscience will take over!.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,908,774 times
Quote:

I wondered also when John posted that but did figure it was in response to karfar's post about the wind, however, he didn't clear it up when asked which would have clarified things. There is no sense in John being hostile because of what happened in history; none of us are responsible for the actions of the brutal governments in past history. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,604,033 times
Funny. You should take it as another English lesson Lyuty.
Friends often call each other "bastards" when one gets the better of the other.

That will be the day when Internet forum posts will make me swear at people for real. So take it easy, won't you? Only newbs get pulled into flaming wars...

Old 10-07-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Let's hear your Russian.
Currently my Russian is lame. I did speak it fluently 30 years ago, courtesy of USSR forcing mandatory Russian language classes for grade 5 and up in Poland. But I understand most of the spoken language I hear on the street.
There was a sudden flood of Russian speaking people in the Chicagoland several years ago. Loud and obnoxious in the grocery stores, discount clothing chaines. Turns out these were the Israelis who voluntarily gave up their "illegal" settlements in Palestine- got paid handsomly for that and since they do not need visas for US, many came here. What a cultural difference. And dressing habits. Like bad 70's disco dream
We have few renting apartments here at the complex where I manage some. Bad news. Late with rent, heavy drinkers and totally rude to other tenants, especially non-caucasians. Parties till wee hours, all doorbells ringing at 2 or 3 AM. Real estate broker I work with told me of a number of scams they did at the heyday of the real estate madness we had: have the home owners re-list their upscale property for 200-300 thousand more and get that cash back at the closing. But after the closing no one would move into the house. Pipes would freeze, homes got flooded and destroyed before anyone realized what went on. Several deals like that and they were gone back to Russia with a million dollars. Just sick.
I'm sure many are legitimate and hard working people, but boy... we are so cautious now.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Funny. You should take it as another English lesson Lyuty.
Friends often call each other "bastards" when one gets the better of the other.
That will be the day when Internet forum posts will make me swear at people for real. So take it easy, won't you? Only newbs get pulled into flaming wars...
I say boy. You've bored me with your delirium. One more time I offer you to stop it. Good luck!

Last edited by Лютый; 10-07-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I want to be able to understand what the people are saying when they are speaking Italian. You never know, they could be talking about YOU! Italy would definitely be a blast. Where did you go in Italy?
If your Italian trip would include Padova, I can introduce you to a very nice, very gentle, inteligent Italian, a professor at Padova U. who, and his friends, would take you around Padova, show you all the atractions and stuff that no ordinary tourist sees. History, entertainment, life. English speaking. Some
I had a blast showing them around few Polish cities couple of years ago. Warsaw, Gdansk (Gdansk, Gdynia, Sopot- the tri-city). Lomza. Many museums. Got to see the stuff that is not on current exhibits and such. Had a ball.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Лютый View Post
I say boy. You've bored me with your delirium. One more time I offer you to stop it. Good luck!
Hey, if you don't get English slang, even when slowly explained... that's not my problem.

As for my Polish, its fine. Both spoken and written. Probably thanks to all the homework I did with my kids who along with regular education, went to Saturday Polish Language school. Graduated both grammar school as well as high school courses (accredited by Polish Ministry of Education) with diplomas. All those years... the pain of homeworks, reading, writing competing with softball or football. Or my fishing time. But low and behold, they are proud to be Poles now. I'm almost suprised!

Enough on both subjects. But in a way, it is about keeping traditions and ones roots alive. Works the same for Eskimoes, Indians as it does for emigrants. IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska