U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-17-2010, 05:51 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,066,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
You know, I just came back from Dominican. And tourists are offered stuff to buy there everywhere. I was not a tour visitor, I saw and talked to people in the jewellery business. And common term is "tourist grade" amber or larimar. I wasn't sure how to make you aware of this being a similiar situation in Russia as well. But luckily I came across this post and although it is 10 years old, it covers all the basics very well. Read it and pay attention to what conclusions the lady came to. I hope this helps- smart shopper is an educated shopper.
What I Bought in Russia - Travel Message Board Forums - IndependentTraveler.com
wow...what a wonderful article JohnPF....this is what I look for in information on these forums....by the way....thanks for the turning me onto the Larimar info...as I did buy a small piece (spendy) but beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:06 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,501,368 times
Maybe I could have saved you some money... at least 25% but than there is the shipping. Its all good.
I like Larimar a lot. It is my understanding that it don't sell very well on the net- people have to look at it in person to fully appreciate its beauty.
But I saw the whole boulders of it, cut in half and polished, just beautiful. Wholesale, a piece the size of a basketball, good blue color might be close to 4 grand down there and a lot more in US.

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:16 PM

4,015 posts, read 4,455,133 times
Would it be possible to buy a slice of that for display in a window?

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:22 PM

I'm sure it could be arranged
Not this particular one, that is in a nuseum already, but I saw like ones there.

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Would the proper term be a section or a slice?

Unread 03-17-2010, 08:35 PM

I'd say a slice. I won't know for at least a week, as I am sending a bunch of printed stuff there and than will disscuss stuf. And ask for more samples and also order some necklaces and possibly bracelets for my daughter and more. But I will have slices too. I did not want to overuse the hospitality while there, but I guess I could have had a lot more stuff already. Time was of essence, it was only a 4 day trip...

Unread 03-17-2010, 09:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,992,021 times
Haines is the 3A boys Basketball Champions!

Unread 03-17-2010, 09:16 PM

Awesome when home team wins, always!

Unread 03-17-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I'd say a slice. I won't know for at least a week, as I am sending a bunch of printed stuff there and than will disscuss stuf. And ask for more samples and also order some necklaces and possibly bracelets for my daughter and more. But I will have slices too. I did not want to overuse the hospitality while there, but I guess I could have had a lot more stuff already. Time was of essence, it was only a 4 day trip...
Sounds great, I used to have a slice of a blue agate geode, and I miss it! I displayed it in a window with some cobalt blue antique medicine bottles.

Unread 03-18-2010, 04:20 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,187,874 times
Quote:
You know, I just came back from Dominican. And tourists are offered stuff to buy there everywhere. I was not a tour visitor, I saw and talked to people in the jewellery business. And common term is "tourist grade" amber or larimar. I wasn't sure how to make you aware of this being a similiar situation in Russia as well. But luckily I came across this post and although it is 10 years old, it covers all the basics very well. Read it and pay attention to what conclusions the lady came to. I hope this helps- smart shopper is an educated shopper.
What I Bought in Russia - Travel Message Board Forums - IndependentTraveler.com
Thanks for finding that John! Interesting info. I'll look for some art and the lacquer boxes (if I have enough $$$).

Can you believe that person didn't buy the nesting dolls!!!
I'm getting those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska