U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,550,218 times
Bob's office computer work place...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs063.snc6/167332_1827547051058_1311761048_2110404_7789431_n. jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:25 AM

5,705 posts, read 4,559,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
If politicians and those on Wall Street kept it as simple as you do, this country would be in the BLACK, and not buried in a sea of RED.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM

15,831 posts, read 15,205,168 times
Bob, that's a great pic

Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,798,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
What a fine work place! As for me so I like it.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:02 AM

7,016 posts, read 6,579,650 times
I don't know Mr. Bob...that chair looks awfully uncomfortable or is that on purpose so you don't spend to much time at the computer???

Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM

220 posts, read 176,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
I don't know Mr. Bob...that chair looks awfully uncomfortable or is that on purpose so you don't spend to much time at the computer???
That's what I was thinking. Maybe a Disney themed cushion would go nice there!

Old 01-22-2011, 04:14 PM

2,200 posts, read 2,550,218 times
Is it good for utilizing one email account all the time? I think so.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:05 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,811,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Are you close enough to any military bases for a reasonable commute? There are several bases in Alaska so it could be people reassigning to North Carolina.
No, no military bases. Not within reasonable commuting distance from here, that is. Which is strange, because you would think that a dramatic, extremely mountainous location would be great for a military base. I mean, we see people moving here from EVERY state in the country, so I guess it isn't too crazy to see Alaskans, but I'm seeing a TON of them lately. And I notice Alaska plates more than most since it is a place I am fascinated with and a place that I eventually want to move to. I can't really think of any logical reason that I would be seeing so many of them; I guess it's just more proof that the secret is out about Asheville, and probably has been for quite some time.

What's the snow depth like in the Mat-Su this time of year? I tried to look it up, but couldn't find anything. I'm really just curious more than anything. We're supposed to get some snow on Tuesday here, something like ~6 inches. ::fingers crossed:: It would be really nice for everything to turn white again; it has been brown for a week or two now since all our snow melted.

::sigh:: That's just life in the Southern Appalachians: it could snow all winter and be super cold, or you could get no snow at all. You never really know until it's actually snowing. And even then, it could stop in a heartbeat. These big mountains and ridges and valleys tend to break up storm systems as they move across the TN/NC border, stopping them from hitting us. I guess that's good for some people, but I want my winter!

Maybe if a couple of you could box up some snow that you're tired of looking at, and mail it to me down here in Asheville...

Old 01-23-2011, 02:59 PM

14,831 posts, read 24,391,185 times
Maybe seeing all the Ak license plates is a sign! There's your sign(s)!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:38 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,811,085 times
^ I think you may be right. There are four states whose license plates jump out at me and get me excited: New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and Alaska. Out of those four, Alaska gets me VERY excited; just the sight of a license plate from there will make my day a little bit. But I had a nice experience I want to share:

I was at Advance Auto Parts getting a bulb and a couple of fuses for my car, and I see a guy getting out of a truck with Alaska plates. I couldn't help myself, I had to go talk to him. So I flagged him down, and at first, he was very surprised. Kind of like, "Why is this guy approaching me looking at me like I'm Santa Claus?", that kind of look. But I cut right to the chase: how do you like Alaska, what is it like, etc. He was one of the friendliest people I have ever talked to. He lives in Palmer, and he is here because he has family here and he wanted to take a little hiatus from the winter. He told me so many great stories and how great Alaska is, and it just really made me feel good to talk to this guy. It was about 25 degrees out, and when I remarked that it was too warm here, he laughed out loud and told me I ought to just hop in the truck with him and come on home! I never did catch his name, and I regret that.

But yes, I think it is a sign. At least, I choose to believe that. I have never felt as drawn to a place as I feel to Alaska, and the crazy thing is, I've never even been there! I know I need to come visit before I make any kind of decisions, and I do still have a year left to finish my degree (I took the scenic route through college, I know), but it is really becoming more and more something that I feel I must do.

Anyone with tales of "Alaska magic" or what have you, please, feel free to share! This forum is such a wonderful tool for me, and all of you are so insightful. Thank you for what you all do, and keep it going, it's a fantastic thing for people like me who have dreams of the North Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska