U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-12-2011, 12:25 AM

20,876 posts, read 20,391,274 times
Meyers Farm: Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-12-2011, 01:07 AM

4,323 posts, read 1,186,242 times
Grass in Barrow; I know this isn't the type lawn you are talking about. But even in the arctic when it is very cold out in the summer.

Green grass, not the type you mow, the land is too uneven.

Unread 07-12-2011, 01:27 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,629,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
And as for nearly-90F, cry me a river. It's been 100 where I'm from for a month and it won't get below 90 until at least September. When they get your weather for a day or two it's called a cold front. :P
Well now. I'm from central Alabama. Temperatures are regularly above 100˚F, and the humidity is always at least 80%, often higher. I grew up mowing in that weather. But hey, you live in Valdez now, where it's nice and cool. I was kind of saying that near-90 is hot compared to Alaska, since this is the Alaska forum and all.

Well hey, that's why you ask questions, so you'll know the answers. Hell there are plenty of places where people don't have lawns in the lower 48. It does make sense about the interior being a good place to grow stuff; I think the person I read that from was someone who is disgruntled about living there. The interior is appealing because it's sunny more often, but I do like precipitation, especially lots of snow. I know it snows plenty in the interior, though. Another "I'll know when I'm there" thing.

Unread 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,389,702 times
Easy to understand: Deadliest Catch & Ice Road Truckers and Man Vs Wild came from script sound bite ideas. It takes about one or two years to develop molding the scripts together. Big super computer managing all the ideas like from Security Exchange Commission. The ones who know about it are starting to come out. Mr Ballmer from Microsoft and Gloria Estefan. Can you imagine the change of technology & entertainment relies on bob blockus talking out ideas. The whole computer industry started around 1968. Most of the super bowl commercials year after year came from this concept.

At Disney the best ride. The Great Movie Ride. http://youtu.be/cpS262ax04o

Last edited by Bob Blockus; 07-12-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Unread 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM

6,401 posts, read 6,768,350 times
There are also some fruit trees, apples, around. There is a guy near Palmer that seems to have a good business with apples.
Also, I read some time ago that some farmers around Fairbanks or Delta are working on a strain of corn that will grow up here.

Unread 07-12-2011, 09:14 AM

Disney casting center building. For new & returning employees.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/283051_2235297444563_1311761048_2652192_8165621_n. jpg (broken link)

Unread 07-12-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
There are also some fruit trees, apples, around. There is a guy near Palmer that seems to have a good business with apples.
Also, I read some time ago that some farmers around Fairbanks or Delta are working on a strain of corn that will grow up here.
Do you think permafrost soil is harder to grow than volcanic soil? More high society and wall street economics type individuals should build new second homes up in Alaska. Start upwards cash flow investments in Alaska.

Unread 07-12-2011, 09:46 AM

The hotel I will be working at: Disney's Polynesian Resort. My eyes when working will be focused for south pacific.

YouTube - ‪Disney's Polynesian Resort 2011 HD‬‏

Unread 07-12-2011, 10:36 AM

109 posts, read 68,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Well hell I wonder when my wishing age is? You know what I would wish for? A shiny new King Ranch F-250 with the 6.7L turbodiesel, except it would have a manual transmission, which they don't freaking make on most F-250's anymore! And to add to that wish, I would wish that all car companies would offer all their models in manual. One other thing I've been lusting after is the 2011 F-150 with the V6 EcoBoost engine. Tows 11,500 and gets 17/23 mpg city/hwy. What an engineering marvel, making a V6 work better than a V8.
Ten years ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. Then I got my dream truck, F350 5 speed. Owned it 3 years. Two transmission replacements. Sold it. Now I drive a Dodge, front ends are a lot easier to replace than transmissions. Good luck man, I hope you get a good one if you do buy one, unfortunately I did not.

Unread 07-12-2011, 11:46 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,629,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
This is all really good to hear. Out here in the mountains where I live there are a LOT of little produce stands that sell stuff from local farmers. Now I know I won't be able to get watermelons and canteloupes fresh at a farm stand up there, but that is very cool that people are farming, and that they're doing it successfully enough to make money. Even here, it's awful hard to make a living in farming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperdoc
Ten years ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. Then I got my dream truck, F350 5 speed. Owned it 3 years. Two transmission replacements. Sold it. Now I drive a Dodge, front ends are a lot easier to replace than transmissions. Good luck man, I hope you get a good one if you do buy one, unfortunately I did not.
Damn. That is brutal. And it was a Powerstroke, not a gas burner? Sorry to tell you, I'll never touch the steering wheel of a Dodge with a ten-foot pole (unless it's someone else's), but that's crazy about the trannies going out like that. Does Dodge have known front end problems or something? Realistically I'll get one of three things:

1) F-150 w/ EcoBoost engine (friggin incredible)
2) Tacoma 4x4 w/ camper shell
3) F-250 6.7L Powerstroke if I feel that it's a reasonable purchase at the time
4) Oh yeah, and if Chevrolet comes out with an equivalent to EcoBoost, I'm on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska