U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-03-2011, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
1,972 posts, read 1,733,636 times
Reputation: 1133
Eh, I was actually surprised at the fact that it didn't really slow down all that much over the summer time. I thought everyone would be out hunting, fishing, and just generally beating their chests in the raw Alaskan sun, but the forum activity kept up pretty solid. Winter does tend to give one a better excuse to be inside on the computer though, that's for sure. Except around here, where it never gets below the 20's so it's never too cold out to do stuff.

And what drives me nuts is that whenever we get a system of moisture coming through, it always warms up as soon as it's going to happen, so the precipitation is always rain. We'll be cruising along, highs in the 40's, lows in the 20's, and then some moisture rolls through and bam, it's up into the 40's for lows, and it ends up being rain, or sometimes it'll be in the high 30's and we get freezing rain. Yippee! And I've heard from some people that it's supposed to be a warm, non-snowy winter, and from a bunch of other people that it's supposed to be twice as snowy as the last. Of course they all heard this from reputable sources... I just want some snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 6,691,474 times
Reputation: 3045
Alot depends upon what kind of summer we're having. Not unusual for cool temps and alot of rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
1,972 posts, read 1,733,636 times
Reputation: 1133
Well hey, cool temps and rain in the summer is great by me. The more the better, I say. I have grown up on sunshine and pure, raw, humid heat, so the summers in places like Valdez, Anchorage, and basically most of Southcentral sound so nice to me. It's just that in the winter time, I need my snow and ice and cold weather. Otherwise it's hard to call it winter, you know? EDIT: Oops, misunderstood what you were saying, lol.

I swear every once in awhile I get a bit fed up with Apple. I just came down here to the Apple store to see if they would fix my charger, and they immediately said no, we can't fix it, but you can buy a new one... for $85! A CHARGER for my computer is $85! That's crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 6,691,474 times
Reputation: 3045
Why can't they fix it, did they say? Well we have such short summers it's really nice to get warmth and sun, especially for weekend outings, and gardens/flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
7,016 posts, read 6,366,789 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Well hey, cool temps and rain in the summer is great by me. The more the better, I say. I have grown up on sunshine and pure, raw, humid heat, so the summers in places like Valdez, Anchorage, and basically most of Southcentral sound so nice to me. It's just that in the winter time, I need my snow and ice and cold weather. Otherwise it's hard to call it winter, you know? EDIT: Oops, misunderstood what you were saying, lol.

I swear every once in awhile I get a bit fed up with Apple. I just came down here to the Apple store to see if they would fix my charger, and they immediately said no, we can't fix it, but you can buy a new one... for $85! A CHARGER for my computer is $85! That's crazy!
buy a new one online! much cheaper....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Valdez, Alaska
2,758 posts, read 2,099,213 times
Reputation: 2644
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
buy a new one online! much cheaper....
Be careful about what you buy, though. I tried to cheap out on one for my old Dell and it didn't work right. So then I had to buy the expensive Dell one ($80 or so I think) after I'd bought the "cheap" one for $40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
7,016 posts, read 6,366,789 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Be careful about what you buy, though. I tried to cheap out on one for my old Dell and it didn't work right. So then I had to buy the expensive Dell one ($80 or so I think) after I'd bought the "cheap" one for $40
guess I should have been more explicit!....I just thought people knew better than to buy a cheap model vs the real item when it comes to electronics/computers.....also check for recall on any item you are buying...Dell had a lot of chargers that were recalled several years ago and there were tons on ebay cheap...so go to the manufactures site and check for recall numbers on chargers or any component...I just replaced a motherboard and went with a different chip set as this one died in 3 yrs....went with the old stand by Intel chip set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
1,972 posts, read 1,733,636 times
Reputation: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Be careful about what you buy, though. I tried to cheap out on one for my old Dell and it didn't work right. So then I had to buy the expensive Dell one ($80 or so I think) after I'd bought the "cheap" one for $40
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
guess I should have been more explicit!....I just thought people knew better than to buy a cheap model vs the real item when it comes to electronics/computers.....also check for recall on any item you are buying...Dell had a lot of chargers that were recalled several years ago and there were tons on ebay cheap...so go to the manufactures site and check for recall numbers on chargers or any component...I just replaced a motherboard and went with a different chip set as this one died in 3 yrs....went with the old stand by Intel chip set.
Yeah, Tigre had a similar problem to me. In my case, I had bought an off-brand one online, and it was just crappy quality. It worked for awhile and then quit. This one that just recently quit on me was a real Apple brand one though. As far as buying it online, the only way to get one cheaper for the most part is to buy an off-brand (at least with Apple), and also I couldn't afford to wait for a new one to come in. Mine had quit working on me, and I have a paper and a project I need to finish.

And Pat, I don't know why in the world they couldn't fix it... the guy just told me "We can't fix it, but you can file it on warranty if you're within your warranty". And of course, I wasn't. So, since I had basically no other choice, I bought a new one in the Apple store for an outrageous price. What a racket! I love Apple computers, but sometimes the way they shield all their products so heavily against 3rd-party stuff is really really annoying. Oh well, I'll take that over the problems I've had with PC's both in the past and more recently. And this coming from someone who used to write computer programs and can practically make a PC sing and dance for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Alaska
195 posts, read 125,626 times
Reputation: 165
Hello friends! Just thought I would check in with you fine folks and see what has been happening lately. The roads are slick as snot out right now because we got rain on top of snow which equals ice Please be extra careful if you have to get out on the roads. We saw several cars off the road in the ditch today. Luckily, it didn't appear that anyone was injured.

On a happy note, we have made it two months as Alaska residents! Woot woot!! And......(drumroll please) we are closing on our first Alaskan home at the end of the month!!

Happy holidays to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 PM
 
Location: JBER, AK
115 posts, read 67,653 times
Reputation: 59
Hey! That is awesome - congratulations!

I have been browsing real estate also.... not sure where yet... thinking maybe Eagle River, but I have 10 months, so... I may wait for the right short sale or foreclosure this spring or summer... I hate to benefit from someone else's misfortune, but I guess if I don't buy it, somebody will!

The roads are indeed very slick here on JBER... I was out at 5pm, and was happy to get home.

Have a warm-n-safe night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top