U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,936,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance
The Mrs works at the local church which is going on 900 years old, is very small, and still contains fancy woodwork, old time stained glass windows, a seperate bell tower, and a 6 inch thick oak front door covered in hand wrought iron plating full of musket ball holes from back when Denmark would frequently attack Sweden trying to take over the country. The entire village would hole up in the church, bar the doors and windows, and just sit out the attack until the Danes grew weary and went home
Now that is cool. That's the reason I so badly want to go to Europe and check it out, because of all the history that is so palpable and tangible over there. I'm dying to go to Sweden and especially NORWAY, which is one of the coolest damn places I've ever heard of.

Also, really, really want to go to Scotland, like really really bad, because that is where a good portion of my ancestral family is from (Highland Scots, as I understand it). They're from northeast England on my father's side, and from the Scottish Highlands on my mother's side; that must be where I get my pasty complexion and strong affinity for cold, inclement weather. But yeah, those mountains in Scotland are very cool and unique, with all the heather covering them and all. The ones in Scandinavia are equally impressive (although they don't have the same air of mystery to me), especially the ones that surround the deep fjords that permeate the coastlines of those countries. Man, I've gotta go overseas sometime.

So I guess nobody around here is much for pipe smoking, eh? Nah, I didn't really expect anyone to know what the hell I was jabbering about, but I'm still showing that thing off to everyone who will listen (which is mostly just the guys at the tobacconist shop, lol). I'm smoking it as I type, matter of fact. Dunhill Nightcap, my favourite mixture.

Also, this rep system is bizarre. Like, today I got 2 new reps, but I only got 2 rep points for it. Yet sometimes I'll get 5 rep points for 1 rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,557,568 times
Happy New Year; Wow Ship !! That is very kewl pipe, although you are miles ahead of me in your knowledge about the history etc. I love smoking a pipe. that 'taste' from the stem!! I don't like the straight mouth piece, I like the curved type, that hangs down naturally.

I just have about gotten used to your Alaska obsession and how much you want to come here to live; NOW you mention a half a dozen other countries you want to go to...."so badly". LMAO....

I think the only real problem you face.. is you just can't make up your mind whatcha gonna do next. I can't figure it out.. Each week.. things change. I hope this year sees the fulfillment of ALL your dreams.
Good Luck! "life is what HAPPENS while your busy making other plans. How's it happening for you?? God Bless and good luck. I can't wait to see how this all turns out.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:02 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,101,185 times
Eves, a lot of people are that way. There are so many places I'd like to see myself but probably never will. I have faith though that Ship will make it to Alaska when the time is right for him to do so; he has an educational plan that seems quite viable.

It reminds me of some very good conversations I have with a young man in the Fairbanks area...we both talk about the places that we want to go, all over the world. The conversations themselves have value in their own right, whether either one of us ever get to visit all the places we want to or not.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 PM

Thanks Eves, yeah it's a very nice pipe, and it was at a very reasonable price. The grain is usually what the price is based on primarily, and so that pipe is worth a lot more than it actually cost me to buy. And I also like bent pipes (which is what they call them, mine is a 1/2 bent, there are some that are full bent which are nearly vertical); they hang from your teeth much nicer, and also you can sit and read with one and not have smoke get all in your face and eyes. I have a couple of nice straight ones that I take with me when I go places though. For some reason the straight ones seem a bit "sportier", and they're better for taking out on the town. Also, you're quite right about the experience of pipe smoking; it is all about the taste, really. I have a "cellar", which is really just a dark closet, in which I keep about 30 different blends of tobacco stored for various lengths of time based on the mixture. Some mixtures age better than others, but most are also good right out of the tin/pouch.

And Met is correct. Those places I'm talking about, I don't want to move there, just visit. Although I would live in Scotland for a bit if I had the chance, no doubt about that. Still, there is no place that I want to live in the whole world other than Alaska. Maybe one day, when I've been in Alaska for awhile, that may change, but only time will tell. And as Met said, I have a solid plan put together for getting myself to Alaska and getting settled in there. Even if I end up having to go to North Dakota for awhile and work in the oilfields to pay for it, I'll do that. I'm coming to Alaska, one way or another.

And yeah, I particularly enjoy having those conversations that you mention, Met. My favorite place is the tobacconist, because a lot of those guys have been all over the damn place, and they can tell you a lot about the places. Not only is the conversation good, but you can smoke indoors! They have a sign on the wall at the one I go to up in Asheville: "Smoking Encouraged". Lol. And there's one that says something like "Cigar Smoker's Area, if you have a problem with it, we will smoke you out."

Old 12-29-2011, 09:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 983,480 times
Well, I'm not all that old and I've already spent a fair amount of time overseas (I have lived on three continents! ) as well as exploring quite a bit of my own country. I expect to travel a lot more, too. And I am not wealthy. If you are resourceful (and it helps if you don't have dependents, TBH) and are willing to make a few trade-offs, it's very possible to explore a lot of the world.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 PM

Frostnip, if you'd care to share, on here or in a PM if you'd like, I'd love to hear some of the ways and means you have used to enable you to travel so much. I think it would be really neat to get some sort of work program over in Scotland, where I could live there and earn my keep and have a bit of spending money to explore the countryside (which would necessitate having a car, at least for the kind of exploration I'm talking about). One thing that I would also like to do is brush back up on my French, get fluent again, and go to France for awhile, and work in the countryside. Working at a vineyard would be particularly cool.

But yeah, I'd be interested to hear about it, if you care to extrapolate.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well, I'm not all that old and I've already spent a fair amount of time overseas (I have lived on three continents! ) as well as exploring quite a bit of my own country. I expect to travel a lot more, too. And I am not wealthy. If you are resourceful (and it helps if you don't have dependents, TBH) and are willing to make a few trade-offs, it's very possible to explore a lot of the world.
You're very correct here. Travel doesn't have to be expensive. But it's not what has stopped me from doing more of it. I've traveled and I'm sure I'll do more of it, but I kind of like being home too much, I guess, to do anything real extensive.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM

Ship, when my son was 19, one of our guests was from Belgiam, and told him a lot about his country, and my son decided to attend a festival there. It kind of grew from there....he did research on the internet about places to stay, found some out of the way hostels, spend a couple of weeks living in a treehouse resort on the beach in Turkey (not one of the ones where the "party crowd" goes on Spring Break), stayed at a farm in Tuscany for a week or so, stood out in the desert and watched the total eclipse with people from all over the world. He was in Europe for months and didn't spend much at all. He just stayed away from the touristy places. The next year he went back and stayed in the Eastern European countries.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 PM

4,323 posts, read 1,557,568 times
Well Ship... in all honesty... If you were to just up and go to ND.. I Know what is going to happen; You will; work & over a very short period of time.. FINALLY get your hands on the one tool you need.

That 'tool' is called $. With that 'tool' you can do anything you want to do when you want to do it. Without that tool - you can't do anything - BUT - Unless you have that 'tool' .. all you can do ... is 'dream'. Your young.. GOOD.. get up and get going is the best thing you can do.. Before 2012 is over... you will be all settled in.........in ALASKA. I'm looking forward to the day - WE can each sit down and smoke a bowl or two!! It is a scary move and one full of pitfalls because where ever people are making big money; tooo many people are trying to figure out a way to screw people out of it. All sorts of temptations head your way. You are only there to work to acquire money - NOT TO PARTY!!
This could be the best thing you could do; or it could end up a total disaster..!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 PM

Well, I've heard that if someone is going to go to ND they should do so this winter because in the spring there will be a lot of people migrating there. Not sure how true that is but it does make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska