U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
well I don't know how old you are but....life is too short no matter what age you are take the plunge. We are mid 50's hubby job is ending after 28 years...we have investments and savings but not rich. We are do'n our dream of moving to Alaska. We have always "pot job" to get by. the biggest issue will be health care insurance cost. without a job in hand and I know we will make it, we also have no matter what and life has not been easy!!! You'll will not get any younger!!
So true blue, life is so short and I am definately not getting any younger! I will make it there one way or another, though not near soon enough to suit me (like tomorrow ) I think the mistake I'm making is planning everything out...the past 3 years now, some crisis or another, not of my doing, has taken presidence. I'm beginning to get a complex. I guess I just need to throw a little bit of stuff in my car, close my eyes and jump, it's just a little daunting when you're suddenly 50, never been without a job in your life and want to be somewhere so bad you can hardly stand it. There are several like me on the forum, I think we should just start a caravan
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,561,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm getting there this year one way or another (unless I get killed or something like that). Even recently my savings for the trip has taken a slight hit but I'm going for it, thin budget for the move but what the heck, I have to I'll live off rice and beans all year. I figure I'll be better off than Vermont. Here, I'm in a much more precarious position as far as the economy goes: more dependant on the cash economy, I don't own any land, taxes are high, I live in a rented apartment, people close by...

Up in AK, I at least have my land, and no taxes to worry about (yet anyways, but good God if they tried statewide property taxes it'd be a disaster up there in some parts). I can grow enough to survive there even if it comes down to living off potatoes and peas. I've never not had a good crop of those and the climate there is great for them. Better hunting and fishing than Vermont has. All I need to keep my home (land) is less than $1600 a year. The fur market took a nose dive but making that much is still doable. I figure also I can probably find at least a little placer gold around there to help the budget too. As a last resort I know my family would be willing to lend me money to keep the land if I got that desperate (they've already offered to help without any asking when they realized my savings is a bit small these days, they're retired from state jobs so they've got income as long as the government is still around). So times may get quite lean (hey I could lose some weight anyways) but I think I'd rather be there than the lower 48, especially if things get real ugly...there are more bubbles to burst in the U.S., commercial real estate, credit cards, likely treasury bonds, maybe even the dollar or federal government itself if it keeps going...the isolation is a big benefit to Alaskans, live in less than half a day's drive of several major cities and you'll understand why I say that.

Besides all of which I'm going crazy here. People are getting more annoying, more selfish, more aggressive, more crime, as things get real bad here with so many lost jobs and the state cutting jobs and taxing everything it can (and wasting precious time in the legislature on things like homosexual marriage or global warming while the state crashes and burns)...I need to get out of here, to a true rural area!

There's a seed shortage down here with so many people planning to garden, anyone having trouble up there? Seed places all over are sold out or running low, and I've heard in some states seed potatoes are all out. Slightly off topic but not entirely...there better be some seed potato up there when I get there! Can't bring the potatoes I've always saved here.
I haven't looked at seeds yet, as I go overboard when I do, and have quite a few from last year I never got planted. I will take a look tomorrow, and let you know..if you want I can get you some. You need to find a way to get on the ocean and get some halibut, just a few nice ones do wonders for the freezer

Old 03-29-2009, 08:02 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,749,555 times
Arctic...I've stocked up on seeds, they seem to not be in short supply - for now. Seed potatoes were already available a month ago also.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM

14,322 posts, read 12,926,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Arctic...I've stocked up on seeds, they seem to not be in short supply - for now. Seed potatoes were already available a month ago also.
That's good, I hope it stays that way, seems demand in some states is overwhelming the supply, lots of panic going on...

Grannysroost: the Interior is a fair distance from the ocean, halibut is good though...I'll just have to make do with salmon...

I save heirloom seeds so have quite a few, but I don't have enough. And it's illegal for me to bring my seed potato into the state...

Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM

461 posts, read 795,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
So true blue, life is so short and I am definately not getting any younger! I will make it there one way or another, though not near soon enough to suit me (like tomorrow ) I think the mistake I'm making is planning everything out...the past 3 years now, some crisis or another, not of my doing, has taken presidence. I'm beginning to get a complex. I guess I just need to throw a little bit of stuff in my car, close my eyes and jump, it's just a little daunting when you're suddenly 50, never been without a job in your life and want to be somewhere so bad you can hardly stand it. There are several like me on the forum, I think we should just start a caravan
JUMP!!!!!!

Weigh this; going to ALASKA!!, times are tuff. You struggle alittle bit. Your apartment is alittle run down. Rice and beans afew nights a week. But Hey!
on your days off Alaska is yours for the taking!

Or, You lie there on your death bed thinking " Damn it, I can't believe I did'nt even Try!

Old 03-30-2009, 03:10 PM

15,785 posts, read 15,095,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No I won't have net access except when I visit town (Manley, I've been told when classes aren't in session people can use the school's internet). But yeah I'd appreciate that, even if it becomes a bit tricky using email, you could PM it if you want to keep it private...

Umm edited to add: maybe I need glasses, snail address not email address.

Come to think of it that's something I wish I could do but I don't have the money right now; getting an internet connection and ability to use a computer there. It'll have to wait, I think I'll have to use satellite internet out there when I do get that.
When I get back I'll PM you my e-mail address; easier that way than snail mail since you'll have some computer access. That way if you start to starve or something I can send you food.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:15 PM

322 posts, read 541,691 times
My inclination is that people on the whole don't chose to move to or leave Alaska based on economic reasons, but based on either whether they can't stand living here or can't stand not living here.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,561,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
My inclination is that people on the whole don't chose to move to or leave Alaska based on economic reasons, but based on either whether they can't stand living here or can't stand not living here.
I think a lot do leave for economic reasons, or will be with losing jobs and the cost of living. I agree that some also leave due to the weather, etc., . A lot of people move, don't like it, and move again, but in the -48 that is relatively easy to do. Moving to Alaska, and then leaving is a very costly endeavor as you well know. Most people that come to this forum that are looking to move to Alaska, have been given the advice to have a job or some type of savings to fall back on, which right now savings are fairly hard to come by for many. Moving here, along with being costly, is in my mind also a drawn-out, nerve-wracking experience, if moving a household, children, pets...unless you are fortunate to be single and can move with a suitcase or two, I cannot imagine...

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM

14,322 posts, read 12,926,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
When I get back I'll PM you my e-mail address; easier that way than snail mail since you'll have some computer access. That way if you start to starve or something I can send you food.
Thanks Met. I do appreciate that!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 PM

11,760 posts, read 17,643,444 times
Cori do you have a good source in the valley for .223 & small pistol primers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska