Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:46 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grill God View Post
Rance I'd take some of those yukon golds the wife loves them. Maybe you could give me some pointers on planting them since I've never done it.
You have to dig a hole first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
The economy mess hit us this week when my other half was laid off. The good thing was before he made it back home, he had another job, but at this point it is temporary. He is back in Anchorage today for processing and leaves for at least six weeks on Sunday. He will be making more, but will also cost more as we need to keep the medical insurance and I cannot even imagine what the Cobra price is going to be for three of us...The HR person told him to watch the job board in Prudhoe, as other positions will open up, but no guarantees at this point, all depending on what happens with the economy. He was also told that they receive so many calls from the -48 with people looking for work, they can't keep up with them. This should prove to be an 'interesting' time to say the least...

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

374 posts, read 1,120,204 times
Grannysroost- The Stimulus Bill that just passed included a provision that helps people who have been laid off to continue with COBRA insurance. Apparently, the employer that did the laying off has to cover anywhere from 30%-60% of your cost for the continuation. I am not sure where you would get more info about it, but I know that was specifically put in the Bill to help......

Old 04-06-2009, 06:11 PM

56 posts, read 183,552 times
I'm sorry to hear that Grannysroost **she says blushing because her man is one of those lower 48ers looking for work in AK** I'm glad he found something so quick though - ((sending good vibes))

I'm going to stomp my feet like a two year old now - I HATE this economy BS.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Grannysroost- The Stimulus Bill that just passed included a provision that helps people who have been laid off to continue with COBRA insurance. Apparently, the employer that did the laying off has to cover anywhere from 30%-60% of your cost for the continuation. I am not sure where you would get more info about it, but I know that was specifically put in the Bill to help......
Megan you were right!!! We got the letter for it the other day, and is $600 something for the three of us for the first nine months..., after that it goes to $1750 if we continue it...and is crappy insurance, but better than nothing...thanks for that tip, that was the first thing I looked for!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Oh good! There are many things in the Stimulus that i am sad my taxes are paying for- but that is NOT one of them. Yay! Hang in there!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:11 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,348,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I cannot even imagine what the Cobra price is going to be for three of us....
Blessings to ya, Deb we did the Cobra thing for a few months during our transition up here. Just wasn't willing to take the chance of something happening.....

And Megan, I appreciate the honesty of your post. We've just been here 6 months, but I think I could make it anywhere now that I've proved to myself "I can do this." Our experience so far has given me some confidence I can take with me wherever I go..........
Baby, if you can do Nome, you can go anywhere

Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
We've just been here 6 months, but I think I could make it anywhere now that I've proved to myself "I can do this." Our experience so far has given me some confidence I can take with me wherever I go..........
Baby, if you can do Nome, you can go anywhere
Got that right!!! I could not imagine right now...

Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 AM

AK Varmit- Yay, you almost have made it to summer! PM me if you want some good tips on where to pick the BEST blueberries, or cranberries, or how to make Fireweed Jelly! We really liked it down there when we were in Sutton (although Sutton itself was a bit strange....) and even better when we were in Girdwood. Anyway, let me know if you need any good pickin' spots. And just wait 'til you can try salmonberries. mmmmmmmmm. Now those, i will miss! Welcome to AK.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:17 AM

860 posts, read 2,044,567 times
My best potatoes grow in nothing but a pile of seaweed. I have tons of reds and blues I'll trade for some of those yukons. I got greedy and ate too many this winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska