Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:53 PM

860 posts, read 2,044,567 times

Advertisements

That's the only way to do it here, blueflames. You have to make your own dirt so it's precious, the containers keep it where it belongs, helps a lot to keep the slugs out and they're free! The harbormaster's on to me and lets me know when a derelick skiff shows up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
That's the only way to do it here, blueflames. You have to make your own dirt so it's precious, the containers keep it where it belongs, helps a lot to keep the slugs out and they're free! The harbormaster's on to me and lets me know when a derelick skiff shows up.
duhhh...me I was thinking greenhouse, raised beds, possibly hydroponic system...$$$$ but your way is a lot quicker and lot less $$ and much prettier!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 PM

860 posts, read 2,044,567 times
Soon as all the snow melts I have one more to add to the collection. I'll paint it to look like wood like I did the other one and get busy making another garden. Once in a while someone stops by and offers a neat buoy or prop for my boat yard. It's fun food.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 PM

202 posts, read 818,169 times
Default what are the tall flowers?

Grammas Cabin, great garden and flowers! Is that alyssum or lobelia along the front and are those delphiniums in back?
Can't wait for spring and starting my garden. Still got lots of snow on the ground but it was melting fast today.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:36 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Soon as all the snow melts I have one more to add to the collection. I'll paint it to look like wood like I did the other one and get busy making another garden. Once in a while someone stops by and offers a neat buoy or prop for my boat yard. It's fun food.
how deep a soil do you put in the boat??? can you grow root veggies in them?? what grows best in the boat containers?? thanks

Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 PM

21 posts, read 70,246 times
I've lived in Alaska 11 years now and alot of people are coming up here looking for work. I came up in 1998 when there was all kinds of jobs in Anchorage. But the economy isn't so great for "real" jobs anymore. It hasn't been that great in years. The cost of living is climbing. Gasoline is about $3.30 a gallon and goes up everytime I go to the pump. Food prices keep going up too. People are living in their cars in Anchorage and the homeless population has gone up to about 3,000. If people from the 48 know something I don't, let me know! A couple came up from Calif looking for work about Aug and were living in a tent. I told them by Oct they didn't want to be living in a tent. It's starts snowing by now.

I am moving back to Oregon because I was born and raised there. I know the econ isn't so great but it's not so great here. Housing is much cheaper as well and food prices. I pay close to $700 for a one bedroom apartment and they never paint, never fix up anything around here. And they want to raise he rent! Plus, I am tired of all the sexual predators in this state. In Anchorage alone there are 1,000 registered sex offenders. In Portland, Oregon less than 300.

All the perverts have moved to Alaska!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 PM

21 posts, read 70,246 times
Well it's been boom or bust in Alaska and now the economy is going down, at least where I live. Anchorage isn't much better unless you work in the medical field or want to work at Walmart. I've read they are hiring 50 new teachers in Anchorage which will help the economy.

In 1998 there were all kinds of jobs when I came here. I had a job within a week's time of moving here.

Costof living? It's gotten too high for me. I am tired of the "rip off" artist mentality and the way young people have no consideration or respect for people in their 50's. Alaska Regional is the worst. They got over $100,000 last year from my insurance and still billed me. Now it's in collections.

Kind of people who live here? Alot of criminals, rapists, and murderers and drunks. I've had them try and run me over and laugh about it...

Homelessness? About 3,000 in Anchorage alone and that is just a rough estimate.

Wife and child abuse? Higher than national average.

Registered sex offenders in Anchorage alone? 1,000

Cost of living keeps going up. Gasoline is almost $3.50 a gallon where I live.

I pay almost $700 a month for an apartment. The paint is peeling on the door, the outside carpting is at least 10 years, no landscaping. If you want the area swept do it yourself.

Eight months of winter.

Multiple car accidents on Glen Highway.

Cost of groceries very high. Produce often rotten and bruised.

Alaska is a beautiful state but the people and the greed has made it bad. All the riffraft have moved to Alaska it seems.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Wow.

I have very little experience with Anchorage; I assume that's where you've been living?

But I don't think that Anchorage is representative of the entire state of Alaska.

You talk about the high food prices. I also maintain a residence in Oregon and pay much more for food when I am down there. If you try to live a -48 lifestyle in Alaska, it will indeed cost you. If you consider supermarkets to be your main food source, it's going to be very expensive to eat.

I agree that a lot of perverts have moved to Alaska. I can name one in particular, David Kazarian, who moved to Big Lake because he found out there was a loophole in Alaska State law that allowed him to get by without registering as a sex offender here. The guy is active in "pedophile rights"; hes quite a disgusting character. Hopefully Alaskans will be working to get that loophole changed.

Riffraff---it's been my experience that winter weeds them out.

You sound bitter and that's okay; AK isn't for everyone. But please understand that your experiences in Anchorage are not reflective of the real Alaska.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,745,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Wow.

I have very little experience with Anchorage; I assume that's where you've been living?

But I don't think that Anchorage is representative of the entire state of Alaska.

You talk about the high food prices. I also maintain a residence in Oregon and pay much more for food when I am down there. If you try to live a -48 lifestyle in Alaska, it will indeed cost you. If you consider supermarkets to be your main food source, it's going to be very expensive to eat.

I agree that a lot of perverts have moved to Alaska. I can name one in particular, David Kazarian, who moved to Big Lake because he found out there was a loophole in Alaska State law that allowed him to get by without registering as a sex offender here. The guy is active in "pedophile rights"; hes quite a disgusting character. Hopefully Alaskans will be working to get that loophole changed.

Riffraff---it's been my experience that winter weeds them out.

You sound bitter and that's okay; AK isn't for everyone. But please understand that your experiences in Anchorage are not reflective of the real Alaska.
Amen...you said it all...

Old 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,249,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetmenots& Roses View Post
Kind of people who live here? Alot of criminals, rapists, and murderers and drunks. I've had them try and run me over and laugh about it...
Are they distributed even all over Anchorage or confined to a few 'bad' neighbourhoods? If the latter, why is that unusual?

The rest of your litany - isn't is the same in virtually all big American cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska