Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,925,115 times

Advertisements

It's scary times no matter which part of the country you live in now. I'm never going to lose my dream of living in AK, but I'm also a realist. I can't even imagine what kind of shape I would be in now if I had taken a transfer and had my position eliminated once I was moved. I had felt totally confident in my job security, my company was still strong despite the economy, just goes to show that anyone can be at risk of having the rug yanked, never think it can't happen to you. I couldn't fathom trying to live in AK on the joke they call unemployment, with the cost of living there it would be impossible. I guess the years have made me a little more cautious, but to move without a job in hand in these times would be terrifing. To travel to extreme climates and hope you can land a job when you get there seems pretty fool hardy, but for the young adventurous sort I'd say hey, you can look for a job no matter where you lay your head, just don't be so far from those you know in case you need a place to crash and a hot meal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 01:25 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
This is bad news for folks working in the ship tour travel industry, specially new hires. As most of us already know, new hires usually are the first ones to go:
newsminer.com • Alaska to see deep cuts from cruise lines in 2010

Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM

860 posts, read 2,044,567 times
Loss of cruise ships is bad economic news for Wrangell too. This used to be such a bustling little town until about '91. We had a population of about 3,500 then, full of well-paid loggers, fishermen, mill workers, live music in the bars every weekend, shops full, independent tourists spending money. All that is gone. There's maybe 1200 left in Wrangell proper. Tour ships were coming in here pretty regular for a few years but they won't come here anymore because we won't sell our town to them for their junk shops. They state they don't make enough money off Wrangell, oh well. The tourists they brought in fell in love with the place saying "finally! This is what we came up here to see!" They were thrilled we weren't trying to sell them anything other than the beauty of our world. Hard as it is to live here, I'll take digging roots over selling out to the cruise industry any day.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
When smaller areas lose that tax base, what is going to happen to local services such as libraries, clinics, hospitals?

Any thoughts?
Down here they raise taxes on whoever chooses to remain.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,786,598 times
The posts about the cruise industry are interesting. I've been getting fantastic bargains from every cruise line under the sun about cruising to Alaska. What's funny about that is that when I get to do my next cruise north, I plan on taking the ferry.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:54 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in the near future anywhere. Taxes are high now and I doubt people want them to be raised any more, especially now. States, towns, etc., have gotten federal and state money for a long time even if just for road maintenance and schools alone. Alaska, especially outer Alaskan schools are so run down, they have to have aid in bringing up to usable standards, or there would be no schools in those areas. I am surprised,at least where we are, how well the roads are maintained here, but that may be because of our close proximity to the Sterling Hwy and the fact it is one of the two main roads on the peninsula.
it is managing money differently from what politician do now, not raising taxes. Time to bring back the years gone buy military surplus vehicle for town vehicle...hire people who can fix and fabricate things instead of buying new. there are many ways that towns around here have used to save money and I am not saying that your towns don't but it is worth looking into.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:03 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
It's scary times no matter which part of the country you live in now. I'm never going to lose my dream of living in AK, but I'm also a realist. I can't even imagine what kind of shape I would be in now if I had taken a transfer and had my position eliminated once I was moved. I had felt totally confident in my job security, my company was still strong despite the economy, just goes to show that anyone can be at risk of having the rug yanked, never think it can't happen to you. I couldn't fathom trying to live in AK on the joke they call unemployment, with the cost of living there it would be impossible. I guess the years have made me a little more cautious, but to move without a job in hand in these times would be terrifing. To travel to extreme climates and hope you can land a job when you get there seems pretty fool hardy, but for the young adventurous sort I'd say hey, you can look for a job no matter where you lay your head, just don't be so far from those you know in case you need a place to crash and a hot meal
well I don't know how old you are but....life is too short no matter what age you are take the plunge. We are mid 50's hubby job is ending after 28 years...we have investments and savings but not rich. We are do'n our dream of moving to Alaska. We have always "pot job" to get by. the biggest issue will be health care insurance cost. without a job in hand and I know we will make it, we also have no matter what and life has not been easy!!! You'll will not get any younger!!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:34 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
I'm getting there this year one way or another (unless I get killed or something like that). Even recently my savings for the trip has taken a slight hit but I'm going for it, thin budget for the move but what the heck, I have to I'll live off rice and beans all year. I figure I'll be better off than Vermont. Here, I'm in a much more precarious position as far as the economy goes: more dependant on the cash economy, I don't own any land, taxes are high, I live in a rented apartment, people close by...

Up in AK, I at least have my land, and no taxes to worry about (yet anyways, but good God if they tried statewide property taxes it'd be a disaster up there in some parts). I can grow enough to survive there even if it comes down to living off potatoes and peas. I've never not had a good crop of those and the climate there is great for them. Better hunting and fishing than Vermont has. All I need to keep my home (land) is less than $1600 a year. The fur market took a nose dive but making that much is still doable. I figure also I can probably find at least a little placer gold around there to help the budget too. As a last resort I know my family would be willing to lend me money to keep the land if I got that desperate (they've already offered to help without any asking when they realized my savings is a bit small these days, they're retired from state jobs so they've got income as long as the government is still around). So times may get quite lean (hey I could lose some weight anyways) but I think I'd rather be there than the lower 48, especially if things get real ugly...there are more bubbles to burst in the U.S., commercial real estate, credit cards, likely treasury bonds, maybe even the dollar or federal government itself if it keeps going...the isolation is a big benefit to Alaskans, live in less than half a day's drive of several major cities and you'll understand why I say that.

Besides all of which I'm going crazy here. People are getting more annoying, more selfish, more aggressive, more crime, as things get real bad here with so many lost jobs and the state cutting jobs and taxing everything it can (and wasting precious time in the legislature on things like homosexual marriage or global warming while the state crashes and burns)...I need to get out of here, to a true rural area!

There's a seed shortage down here with so many people planning to garden, anyone having trouble up there? Seed places all over are sold out or running low, and I've heard in some states seed potatoes are all out. Slightly off topic but not entirely...there better be some seed potato up there when I get there! Can't bring the potatoes I've always saved here.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:38 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
I was wondering if your plans had changed much...

you may be in for a tough winter next year; I think you're around the same age as my son, so let me know if you need care packages.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:44 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,352,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I was wondering if your plans had changed much...

you may be in for a tough winter next year; I think you're around the same age as my son, so let me know if you need care packages.
Me? Thanks for offering, if so...I hope the fishing is good this year, I intend to put up as much fish as I can...I figure I want to do that and be sure to grow a garden (mostly potatoes, peas, beans...), to help with my budget.

I'm a stubborn person sometimes. And I see the writing on the wall for what's facing my home state anyways...

What doesn't kill me will make me stronger. Well, not necessarily but it's a nice thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska