Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen anyone mention this but to use airlines you have to register with something called Tue "Known Shipper" program, or something to that effect, from Homeland Security. They told me I had to sign up for it ~6 months in advance.

Wouldn't let me ship and I was looking into it 4 months out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention this but to use airlines you have to register with something called Tue "Known Shipper" program, or something to that effect, from Homeland Security. They told me I had to sign up for it ~6 months in advance.

Wouldn't let me ship and I was looking into it 4 months out.
You don't have to be a known shipper. At least on Alaska Airlines. Your shipments are just restricted to "freighter flights" only. They mean just that. The only time I've ever had problem was shipping my firearms a few years ago during the holiday season. It delayed my shipment an extra 3 days.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
throw them in the car and drive up? dont try it.
check with local hunting group esp bear hunters who do this every year. it can be done but its not cheap.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:37 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
You can take the Ferry out of Bellingham and end up in Whittier and drive them up... As long as you are going from a US Port to a US Port you are OK.

Might need to do it that way, if you are an avid reloader and have all kinds of stuff.

FFL to FFL will bankrupt you. As it is I only have 7 guns and I can fly roundtrip for cheaper than I can FFL to FFL them up.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:28 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,427,427 times
Everything has changed since I was there, I carried rifles across the Canadian boarder,

Now your best bet is to give them to a Gun dealer here, to be sent to one up there.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM

138 posts, read 269,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You can take the Ferry out of Bellingham and end up in Whittier and drive them up... As long as you are going from a US Port to a US Port you are OK.

Might need to do it that way, if you are an avid reloader and have all kinds of stuff.

FFL to FFL will bankrupt you. As it is I only have 7 guns and I can fly roundtrip for cheaper than I can FFL to FFL them up.
Thank you, Dakster! I had no idea where to go looking for this ferry (my husband had heard something about it, but I didn't even know where to start). Yes, our collection is rather stout (and good Lord, who needs this much ammo? I love my man, but seriously) so the Ferry does sound better.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Prepare for the sticker shock for cost... And look at just how long that ride takes...

Old 09-01-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Everything has changed since I was there, I carried rifles across the Canadian boarder,

Now your best bet is to give them to a Gun dealer here, to be sent to one up there.
That is the FFL to FFL way - Best I could find was It was $80 ($50 for the AK dealer/$30 for the Miami one) a gun for the first gun and then it dropped to $50 per gun as the AK dealer for multiple guns dropped to $25 each. Plus whatever it cost to actually ship the gun.

I figured at least $120 for the first and $100 for each additional gun. Your results may vary... AND you have handed them off to someone else to handle your guns... Not saying that a good result won't happen, but it is something to think about. I don't care about the paperwork and reporting to ATF, but some people do, and that will happen.

One more little tid bit - to pick up your guns YOU need to have an AK license or you get to wait 90 days to pick them up as well. Wasn't an issue for me as the co-owner of my guns (wife) has an AK license already.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:47 PM

138 posts, read 269,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Prepare for the sticker shock for cost... And look at just how long that ride takes...
Yeah, I kinda figured. Any tips/links/company names for researching this?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:00 PM

Looking for a better way to do this, but here is the Alaska Marine Highway web page.

Alaska Marine Highway System :: Official Site :: Alaska DOT&PF

I tried finding sailings in October, but none were found from Bellingham to Whittier. I don't know why... I was going to give you the price of two people, one way, with a long bed pickup... Just to give you an idea of just how spendy it is.

On edit: I found this site too: http://www.ferrytravel.com/bellingham.htm

$3846 - With the cheapest Cabin - it takes 5 days so I don't know about you, but I want a place to "sleep" during that time. 22' Pickup Truck, 7 feet tall, 2 passengers.

Last edited by Dakster; 09-01-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: