Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times

Advertisements

I dug an oosik out of a dead walrus once. It stunk to high heaven. I can't imagine trying to cut baleen out of a dead whale. You'd need scuba gear just to breathe!

Last edited by Rance; 04-03-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Hmm. Poor whale. It's a pity beached whales can't be used. Instead they either rot, get buried, or so forth. Something that's always annoyed me. Commercial whaling caused some problems, true, but why not allow the beached whales to be put to use...enough of that rant though!
It won't go to waste. Bears will eat it as well as all other forms of wildlife. In the ocean the same thing happens, it is a smorgisboard in nature.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
You can always blow it up!

YouTube - The Infamous Exploding Whale

Old 04-03-2009, 01:46 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
WHALES IN THE DARK

Last December I stopped by my friend Kitty's house for a little cribbage and blueberry wine. Her cabin sits high right on the edge of a little deep-water hole. A favorite commercial halibut long-line, salmon netting and shrimp set spot while mine has a flat beach that goes all the way to Japan at low tide. As I was getting ready to leave Kitty walked outside to shine the flashlight up the pathway to the road. As we were talking on the deck the LOUDEST humpback blew RIGHT THERE! It liked-ta knocked us over. No way I was leaving now! We went back inside, turned out all the lights and sat on the narrow deck facing the water. For fifteen minutes the whale blew directly below us followed by a smaller, infant sounding blow. They were so close we could feel the mist and smell the stink. It was dark and overcast so we could see nothing but the blow was so loud we could feel vibrations. Then silence.
The next morning Kitty called to say that in the night she bolted upright to the loudest, most desperate sound she'd ever heard a living thing make. A sound she couldn't even describe but definitely distress. This happend several times over a long time then it became more and more distant. She saw nothing during the day but heard this sound for the next two nights, then nothing.
Last month our town paper printed an article about a Humpback whale off the coast of Maui with the bouy and line from a shrimp set in Wrangell wrapped around its fin and trailing behind. Right where a local fisherman had lost his gear in December. We were heartbroken to see this because we are now convinced that whale was in distress like our gut told us at the time. There was probably nothing could have been done but now I wish we'd tried. Thankfully divers were able to free her in Maui but I wonder where is her baby?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:40 PM

I meant to put this in there. I wish there was a way to curtail the commercial fishing when these guys are around. I'm not to happy that the only reaction was "Oh goody, I've got a souviner". Is it just me?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
sad story...glad the whale made it but like you said...wonder what happened to the little one.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:25 PM

On a happier note, my favorite fishing hole was a little crowded last summer. The company was spectacular tho.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:19 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,414,959 times
Early last summer when the whales were in the Upper Lynn Canal, it was amazing to watch them breach. It also helped that we had a whale call installed on the boat

Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
It won't go to waste. Bears will eat it as well as all other forms of wildlife. In the ocean the same thing happens, it is a smorgisboard in nature.
I know, true, but I see dead beached whale + whale oil lamp and go, hmm...

Grammascabin: nice pictures! They're impressive creatures...

Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM

140 posts, read 470,740 times
great story grammascabin and nice pictures!
interesting watch warpt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska