Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:42 PM

88 posts, read 207,333 times

Advertisements

Ok folks. I'd written about dogs for use against bear / moose a while back. Unbelieveably, my husband thinks it's a good idea too! ((I'm STILL in shock! He NEVER thinks getting another "animal" is a good thing! EVER!!!))
I've narrowed it down to a LGD or Akita / Bear dog breed.
My question is this: Do I get a puppy & train it myself for what "I" want it to do & pray my Aussie is a good enough warning system til the 2nd one is old enough...OR do I get an older one, already trained?

There are pros & cons to both. I'm interested in seeing how many differing opinions, thoughts, ideas y'all can come up with!

Thanks in advance for any / all who reply!

P.S. BTW...We all love AK thus far. ((Except for the wounded bear report in our housing area! Could REALLY do without that!))
We can't wait to see the REAL DEAL though, & not just Anchorage & the base!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Just get a black lab and all will be fine.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 PM

88 posts, read 207,333 times
Why do you say that? Aren't they "retrievers?" I surely don't want any bear / moose "retrieved!!!" Would kinda defeat the whole purpose!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:58 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
They can be trained as anything you want. Very smart dogs.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Dogs can often chase a moose away. But remember, some moose are used to dealing with wolves.

A moose that has held off a wolf pack will make short work of any dog. It won't matter what kind it is, it will be dead meat.

ON the other hand, better it than you.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Dogs can often chase a moose away. But remember, some moose are used to dealing with wolves.

A moose that has held off a wolf pack will make short work of any dog. It won't matter what kind it is, it will be dead meat.

ON the other hand, better it than you.
Marty, I do appreciate your pragmatic approach to stuff!!!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
I agree with Warpt, just get a Lab, they really can be trained to do anything. I like yellow ones better then blacks though.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,141 times
For protection from a bear or moose just about any dog will do if you want it for bait while you run, but I recommend a jack russel terrier or any miniature sized dog as I dont like them, and the sheer amount of barking they do should cause enough commotion for you to split.

I would advise going with a female over male for a few reasons. Females are easier to train than males and they are smaller. Smaller dogs equates to smaller poops, less fur to clean up, less damage when they are growing, etc.. I also feel that female dogs are more loyal and family oriented than males (think of a nanny with some maternal instincts) whereas often male dogs just want to get loose and crap on the neighbors trash or hump something.

A bit of advice on getting a working breed dog that is a purebred, should you choose to do so. Get them from a reputable breeder, not a pet store. Make sure you get to see the dog's immediate parents at a minimum, if not more of its family lineage. Get AKC papers for your dog. Dont skimp on price. Often the difference between a 400 dollar dog and a 3000 dollar dog is something like its hips going out after its two years old which will cost you 2600 dollars and equal to you paying 3000 dollars in the first place.

The amount of time you need to devote to a dog is about as much as a child. They need training, exercise, three or more bathroom trips outside a day, they like going on walks, playing with stuff, the list goes on. Dogs are a HUGE responsibility and you shouldnt be taking getting one lightly.

I had a male rottweiler for three years and I can say I was 100% not prepared for what I got myself into. They require immense training, a moderate amount of exercise, he pooped the size of a horse, would get destructive if ignored, and would eat a half gallon of ice cream faster than a fat chick watching sleepless in seattle if left unsupervised. That being said he was also very rewarding. The dog would protect me from anything, make a great bed warmer, loved me no matter what I did that day, helped keep me in shape, got me some phone numbers , and was just fun to be around.

Do research on the two breeds you listed and possibly expand it a little more. Read as much stuff as you can stand.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaF8 View Post
I've narrowed it down to a LGD or Akita / Bear dog breed.
The livestock guardian dog breeds are bred to protect livestock, not people. It's a huge difference. A true LGD doesn't want to even be around people much - they're happiest off in the fields tending their flocks or herds. They're working dog and if they come from working lines, usually are not suited for "pet" life. If you think that the "guardian" in a LGD breed will translate into "guard dog", that's not quite the way it works, no.

You need to bear in mind the practicalities of a 80 to 100 lbs dog (there or thereabouts) fending off either a pissed off moose or a bear. Look, a horse can kill a dog with a well placed kick. Although I've never seen it first-hand, it doesn't take a great leap of imagination to imagine what either a moose or a bear are capable of doing to a dog. As Marty Van Diest points out, any moose that's experienced a pack of wolves is going to make very, very short work of a lone canine.

I can see why you want an "early warning system", sure - and I also imagine that in normal circumstances (i.e. Momma has not been separated from her babies, it's not an injured animal) most wild animals are just going to give the area with a dog a wide berth. But at the same time you and your family (and perhaps neighbours come into play) have to live with the dog in question. The dog has to fit into your life as much it needs to fulfill the early warning requirement. It's a two-way street.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,389 times
My humble opinion after being here a small bit of time....
I'm opting for the handgun - with dogs on leash. Seems safest me and the dogs, whether versus nature or humans. I didn't think I'd want to "carry" when I first got up here, but it just seems to make good sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska