U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2009, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 27,292 times
Default Seasonal jobs in Alaska under a H2B working visa?

Hello, I'm from Israel and I'd like to work in Alaska for a few months to make some good money. I have no visa to the US and I heard that there are employers that could get me an H2B visa that is valid for 4 months and after those 4 months I'll have a week or so to leave the US.

My question is: How do I find an employer in the US that could get me a visa?

I a tourist visa refusal about 7~ months ago, I hope it won't be a problem.

I heard that there are jobs working as a lumberjack, any info? I'm strong and willing to work hard. How much this job pays usually? Also, which city in Alaska is the most popular for jobs like this?

I don't know much and hope I'll get some information.

Thanks you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:51 PM

20,960 posts, read 21,198,544 times
Take the money and run, huh?

Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Take the money and run, huh?
Not running anywhere . From what I understood, the work visa is only valid for 4 months and after that I could change a status to a toursit visa and use the money to travel in the US.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM

5,200 posts, read 6,557,274 times
Give them a call and see what they say. That's the best anyone here can do for you.

Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show, Ketchikan, Alaska featuring Log Rolling, Speed Climbing, and more exciting lumberjack sports (http://www.lumberjackshows.com/alaska/ - broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Give them a call and see what they say. That's the best anyone here can do for you.

Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show, Ketchikan, Alaska featuring Log Rolling, Speed Climbing, and more exciting lumberjack sports (http://www.lumberjackshows.com/alaska/ - broken link)
Oh, so that's a Lumberjack show, I thought it's working as a labor physical worker like someone I know did in Scandinavia. He chopped trees, worked really hard and made some good money. So in Alaska lumberjack jobs are just in shows?

What about other physical labor jobs that people are doing in Alaska and I could maybe work there? Also, there's a website maybe where I can find jobs and employers that hire foreigners?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 PM

I don't know of many lumberjacks left in Alaska. None of them hire foreigners. They barely have enough jobs for American's. I think they'd give the Canadians first crack if they did. Why can't you get a lumberjack job where you live???

Old 04-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I don't know of many lumberjacks left in Alaska. None of them hire foreigners. They barely have enough jobs for American's. I think they'd give the Canadians first crack if they did. Why can't you get a lumberjack job where you live???
Where I live the salaries are very low and Alaska could be a good adventure.

Are you telling me that Americans do this kind of job? It looks like a kind of job that not many Americans would want to do.

There's this company here that could arrange me a job in Alaska if I was a full-time univesrity student here on a special "student exchange" visa, but I know that non-students can come on another visa if they find an employer in Alaska.

Fishing job also sounds like a good adventure and some good money if I could get it.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 PM

14,719 posts, read 23,815,850 times
Fishing and Timber are nothing like they used to be here. No work and little pay.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAR89 View Post
Are you telling me that Americans do this kind of job? It looks like a kind of job that not many Americans would want to do.

Fishing job also sounds like a good adventure and some good money if I could get it.
There are thousands of Alaskans that do these jobs. However the timber industry has shrunk, drastically. Your chances of getting one of these jobs is about zero. You'd have a better chance at getting a job in a fish cannery. But even with those you'll be competing with Alaskans and all the people from the lower 48, as well as the illegal aliens from south of border.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,668 times
I'd say the best bet for a visa would be to work seasonally at one of the Alaskan resorts. A lot of foreign workers work for these lodges.

Try this website:

coolworks.com

There are a lot of hospitality job opportunities in Alaska and many of these places offer cheap housing and a meal plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska