U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
20,966 posts, read 21,362,827 times
Reputation: 11895
They stayed warm....with....Hot Eskimo Sex!!!!

 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Barrow,AK
319 posts, read 769,501 times
Reputation: 244
telephone poles, trees, all sorts of wood, debris is caught by the points of land along the coast line.

Wood that is soaking wet, water logged, is easily used as fuel without even drying it out. There are many tricks employed up here that you are not aware of, until you see it done ! Or, out of necessity have to utilize some of these methods !
 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
20,966 posts, read 21,362,827 times
Reputation: 11895
Admit it Jesse, you heat your home now with a thermostat on the wall and a boiler or a toyostove now. You wouldn't go back to the old ways, I sure wouldn't.
 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
5,220 posts, read 6,630,016 times
Reputation: 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
what is so amazing is what these people endured (happily) for over 3 thousand years with none of what modern society had (in that day).
How happy would you guys be up there is they shut off the gas at the Barrow gas fields tomorrow? When they shut down the generators over at the power plant then what? If that happened you'd have a town full of pissed off people. Plus the 55 people over at BUECI are gonna be upset too when they find their jobs eliminated.

http://www.bueci.org/index.html

You've got generations of people that are far removed from the old ways. They aren't gonna be too happy if the plug gets pulled.
 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Barrow,AK
319 posts, read 769,501 times
Reputation: 244
Of course. that is a no brainer ! Warpt yes we have a toyo like stove, two of them in this huge house.

but I think what the original poster was trying to say, was Materalisim has caused to much negative attitudes in the village way of life. NO we cannot return to the past just as modern society cannot go back.

But the world we now live in has their moral values all out of whack. Too much emphasis on materialistic goods and possessions !

The school superintrendent in Barrow was just let go, massive amounts of theft of funds & greed spent on the inside of his (rental unit) over 1 million dollars in upgrades ! Granite or marble table tops and counters and other excessive waste to suit his vain wants / needs.

This is just my personal observation and my two cents worth of nothing !

greed is my pet peeve, I can't stand greed, we give give give most everything we have to help others constantly !! That is how it should be. but instead we live in a world of theives, liars, and crooks

People sure complain about Natives receiving dividends from the corporations they are shareholders in, but what upsets me is when people get 100's of millions of dollars for running a company into bankruptcy ! Now that just does not compute one bit. Yet Obama is making their pockets stuffed more full then before they failed ! He also gets kickbacks from each of these companies he wants to bail out.

Obama will come crashing down hard soon - from the white house into the jail house - on to the nut house where he belongs !!
 
Old 04-26-2009, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
12,708 posts, read 12,972,417 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Admit it Jesse, you heat your home now with a thermostat on the wall and a boiler or a toyostove now. You wouldn't go back to the old ways, I sure wouldn't.
The same thing for me, Warpt. My father was a farmer overseas, and to the age of 18 or so when I graduated in HS, I had to help him. We had electricity, but not TV, refrigerator, car or truck, ATV, etc. Life, although a little hard for me, was not nearly as hard as my father's. I would never go back to that life as long as I can help it
 
Old 04-26-2009, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Dangling from a mooses antlers
5,220 posts, read 6,630,016 times
Reputation: 3233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post

The school superintrendent in Barrow was just let go, massive amounts of theft of funds & greed spent on the inside of his (rental unit) over 1 million dollars in upgrades ! Granite or marble table tops and counters and other excessive waste to suit his vain wants / needs.
Do you have a link to a news story or anything? You know the corruption in Barrow started back when Eugene Brower was first elected mayor in the early 80's. It's been going on for a long time. It would be nice to see someone drop the hammer and put a stop to it....
 
Old 04-26-2009, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
12,708 posts, read 12,972,417 times
Reputation: 7609
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
Of course. that is a no brainer ! Warpt yes we have a toyo like stove, two of them in this huge house.

but I think what the original poster was trying to say, was Materalisim has caused to much negative attitudes in the village way of life. NO we cannot return to the past just as modern society cannot go back.

But the world we now live in has their moral values all out of whack. Too much emphasis on materialistic goods and possessions !

The school superintrendent in Barrow was just let go, massive amounts of theft of funds & greed spent on the inside of his (rental unit) over 1 million dollars in upgrades ! Granite or marble table tops and counters and other excessive waste to suit his vain wants / needs.

This is just my personal observation and my two cents worth of nothing !

greed is my pet peeve, I can't stand greed, we give give give most everything we have to help others constantly !! That is how it should be. but instead we live in a world of theives, liars, and crooks

People sure complain about Natives receiving dividends from the corporations they are shareholders in, but what upsets me is when people get 100's of millions of dollars for running a company into bankruptcy ! Now that just does not compute one bit. Yet Obama is making their pockets stuffed more full then before they failed ! He also gets kickbacks from each of these companies he wants to bail out.

Obama will come crashing down hard soon - from the white house into the jail house - on to the nut house where he belongs !!
Materialism is the same in the cities. Once we become accustomed to certain luxuries that make our lives more comfortable, there is no way we want to go back to hard times. And the crooks are every where, although wet only know about it when we see, read, or hear it on the news, except for those cases close to us.

The way I see corporations and their business is as follows: I am a single element, and my home is my corporation. I work for a living, and make so much an hour to pay for my expenses, food, the care of my family, and so forth. If I spend more than I make, then I don't have enough to take care of myself, family and home.

Now, take this same attitude to a grand scale: a corporation. In this case it's not just my home and family, but a whole bunch of homes and families working to take care of themselves. If the company spends more than what it makes, then it goes broke. But before it goes broke, it usually reduces the working force, closes plans, reduces working hours, and so forth. The result is always the same: lots of people or families hurt, including the ones who earn the most (CEO's and such).

In the case of the recent bailouts, I do agree with you. Money is flowing from every tax payer's pocket into the pockets of those who have caused the economic mess we have gotten into. In other words, the people in charge, regardless of political affiliation, created an environment for bad business to take place, and now they are filling their pockets. The result of this mess reminds me of something Lincoln wrote:

Quote:
We all declare for liberty; but in using the same word we do not all mean the same thing. With some the word liberty may mean for each man to do as he pleases with himself, and the product of his labor; while with others, the same word may mean for some men to do as they please with other men, and the product of other men's labor. Here are two, not only different, but incompatible things, called by the same name-Liberty. And it follows that each of the things is, by the respective parties, called by two different and incompatible names-Liberty and tyranny.
The quote is in the book cover's back side of Mark R. Levin's "Liberty And Tyranny, A Conservative Manifesto"

It's a real nice book to read, not only by anybody who may be liberal or conservative, but by anybody who cares about family, nation, town, etc.
 
Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Barrow,AK
319 posts, read 769,501 times
Reputation: 244
there is no way anyone is ever going to stop corruption, greed, liars ! Theft etc.

those are all necessary to be classified as a human being, being that is what history of man is all about ! It is not limited to any one geographical location, iis is world wide in every culture !

I remember about a dozen or more people went to jail for multi-million dollar fraud w/NSB in the 80's. I do not know the names of the actual people involved but it was a lot. So sad, they always think they are going to get away with it. Just look what our new muslim /kenyan/indonesian President is doing - spending TRILLIONS of dollars with no oversight. His one aim is to destroy the United States.

I have already made solid plans for living with no electricity, I know a time is coming soon when these stores will have no food, Iran, and other countires want to destroy out way of life in the U.S. and the threat of an E.M.P is very real. Better safe than unprepared and sorry when it does happen, if it does. but why take chances ?

We live in a scary world now - a - days. North Korea is so unpredictable, china & India want the U. S. as a third world power, the world is sick of the U.S. as leader of the world. Obama has his agenda all set in stone to destroy this country as swiftly as possible.
 
Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
20,966 posts, read 21,362,827 times
Reputation: 11895
Keep in mind a majority of the bush villages are still living in a third world setting, when is their change coming? They still do business in a bucket and dump them in the lagoon. This is one change I wish they all can make, sanitation we all enjoy in larger cities that we all take for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top