U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,557,982 times
And this is just one of many, many articles describing what's done to the meat. There is no "real" meat any more, not in supermarkets. And this does not even mention the red dye added to pork, beef and salmon...

Enhanced Meat - The Virtual Weber Bullet

"
[SIZE=2]Whole muscle meat is passed through a machine that injects the meat with a liquid solution. These computer-controlled devices have one or more injection heads containing many fine needles that pierce the meat. Complex pressure controls, filters, flexible needle mounts, and separate shut-off controls for each needle allow the solution to be injected evenly throughout the entire cut of meat, even those containing bones.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The meat may be weighed before and after injection to determine the percentage of solution added to the meat by weight."[/SIZE]

"[SIZE=2]Don Schiefelbein, Executive Director of the American Gelbvieh Association, a cattle breeding association based in Westminster, Colorado, wrote the following in an article titled, "Lean & Tender vs. Lean & Tasty: Let's Not Become Chicken". (Editor's Note, 2/1/2007: This article is no longer online.)[/SIZE]
[LEFT][SIZE=2]"The lean and tender movement has already taken place in both the pork and poultry industry. The controlling entity (usually the packer) has driven the change in the name of consistency. Unfortunately, the leaner you make meat, the higher the risk of drying out the product during cooking. In order to manage dryness, the pork and poultry packers have aggressively begun offering moisture-enhanced products, i.e. lean and tender pork with water added. The result has been devastating to the pork industry. Lean and tender, moisture-enhanced pork now tastes just like chicken…[/SIZE][/LEFT]
[LEFT][SIZE=2]"Our beef industry is heading down that very same road. Packers have tremendous economic incentive to increase their profits and manage dryness in the lean product by adding water (moisture enhanced). Exactly the way it has already happened in the pork and poultry industry. The economics are simple. The more water you add, the more profit you make in the short run.""[/SIZE][/LEFT]
"[SIZE=2]Be on the look-out for the words "basted", "enhanced", "injected", and "marinated". Look for fancy packages with recognizable brand names that use phrases like "always tender", "moist and juicy", "tender and juicy", "guaranteed tender", and "extra tender"."[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,377,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
Uh ... vote for Obama? Not.

Do I look like the type of person who believes in inspirational commercials and the catchword "Change!" knowing that it's all a bunch of b.s. marketed to the American people for purposes of getting elected into office, all the while knowing that things were inevitably going to go to hell in a handbag?

Just call me the "anti-lemming."
Could hunt Lemmings as a basicfood group, not much nurishment there, but might stave off a massive Lemming suicide!

If they can't group herd, they won't jump off the cliff's in mass!

Old 04-26-2009, 02:14 PM

15,558 posts, read 14,656,861 times
Quote:
And this does not even mention the red dye added to pork, beef and salmon...
Because of the health risks associated with eating farmed salmon, some states have made it mandatory that it be labeled as such.

A favorite pastime of mine is going to the seafood counter at supermarkets and when I see someone eying a hunk of farmed salmon, I make some remark such as..."ick, it says on the label that it's dyed; I wonder how come they do that" (I know why they do it) and that usually does the trick.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:29 PM

80 posts, read 151,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Could hunt Lemmings as a basicfood group, not much nurishment there, but might stave off a massive Lemming suicide!

If they can't group herd, they won't jump off the cliff's in mass!
LOL! Wonder if they have a "gamey" taste, and if so, if there is any prior preparation needed before cooking, grilling, or making into sausage ...

Lemming on a stick?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM

7,016 posts, read 6,363,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTheTemp View Post
LOL! Wonder if they have a "gamey" taste, and if so, if there is any prior preparation needed before cooking, grilling, or making into sausage ...

Lemming on a stick?
Nope...penguin on a stick!!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:24 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,377,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
Nope...penguin on a stick!!

I got asked again this morning when we were leaving the Homer dock, a family from the lower 48 was looking for where the "Time Bandit" was at. I told them left yesterday to do salmon tendering. They were bummed out and asked if we ever say Penguins around up farther North... I told him, yeah... He nodded and walked up off the dock telling his kids they may get to see some Penguins when they head to Fairbanks..

Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 12,116 times
I know there are people out there who have no idea that food doens't get "made" in the supermarket.

I know of a community garden program the was started with inner-city kids. They grew vegies and the idea was for the kids to take the veggies home to help thier families have more nutrious food for free. Program worked great at 1st. Kids likes planing and caring for the garden. But at harvest time none of the kids would take the veggies. They knew the plants had been in/on the ground and they saw them with dirt/mud/buds on them as they were growing. Therefore, in the kids minds the food was "dirty" and not to be eaten. The organizers couln't convince the kids the food in the grocery store also came from the ground. So they ended up donating most the the veggies. These weren't little kids who you could maybe understand not knowing about food but middle school kids. If they don't know veggies grow in the ground at age 11,12,13 what are the chances they'll know by adulthood? These same kids probably don't know the meat comes from animals.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,786,955 times
I ran into something similar at the grocery store this weekend. A mother and several children were in the produce section. One of the kids kept saying to get the organic stuff, but the mother and other children took at look at some of the stuff and said that they were too small, looked sickly (i.e. not bright and shiny with waxed), looked bug-eaten (i.e. there were a few surface blemishes)...

No amount of explanation from the informed child could sway them... instead, the shopping cart got stocked full of perfect looking, waxed, oversized and pesticide laden produce

I guess I should be happy that they're at least eating some whole foods and not all processed crap; but I felt sorry for the poor girl, not only didn't her family listen to her but she also has to eat that stuff. (note that the prices were almost the same on most items).

You hear the same sorts of weird things about meat that isn't factory farmed -- it's too lean, it's tasteless, it's too dry, it's too small (chicken breast esp), etc. Lord forbid there is any "weird" meat like buffalo, ostrich, venison, or even lamb or goat in some places! Don't think most people would even be willing to try squirrel, squab, wild poultry, moose or any other wild game meats. "What!? You mean you shot this yourself?! ICK!"

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 AM

16,869 posts, read 10,346,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I ran into something similar at the grocery store this weekend. A mother and several children were in the produce section. One of the kids kept saying to get the organic stuff, but the mother and other children took at look at some of the stuff and said that they were too small, looked sickly (i.e. not bright and shiny with waxed), looked bug-eaten (i.e. there were a few surface blemishes)...

No amount of explanation from the informed child could sway them... instead, the shopping cart got stocked full of perfect looking, waxed, oversized and pesticide laden produce

I guess I should be happy that they're at least eating some whole foods and not all processed crap; but I felt sorry for the poor girl, not only didn't her family listen to her but she also has to eat that stuff. (note that the prices were almost the same on most items).

You hear the same sorts of weird things about meat that isn't factory farmed -- it's too lean, it's tasteless, it's too dry, it's too small (chicken breast esp), etc. Lord forbid there is any "weird" meat like buffalo, ostrich, venison, or even lamb or goat in some places! Don't think most people would even be willing to try squirrel, squab, wild poultry, moose or any other wild game meats. "What!? You mean you shot this yourself?! ICK!"
I much prefer Harris Ranch or Black Angus beef to the standard beef found in stores, even though I know I will pay more. I will never be accused of being a "health nut", and I don't buy Harris Ranch or Black Angus because they don't use hormones, preservatives, or other chemicals. I buy it because it is a better quality product and I can taste the difference.

That is also one of the reasons I hunt and fish. The primary reason, of course, is to put food on my table. Another reason I hunt is because I know I will get a superior quality product, better than I can buy at any store.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 AM

80 posts, read 151,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I got asked again this morning when we were leaving the Homer dock, a family from the lower 48 was looking for where the "Time Bandit" was at. I told them left yesterday to do salmon tendering. They were bummed out and asked if we ever say Penguins around up farther North... I told him, yeah... He nodded and walked up off the dock telling his kids they may get to see some Penguins when they head to Fairbanks..
LOL! You managed to say that with a straight face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska