U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-27-2009, 12:04 AM

3 posts, read 4,314 times
Default Can I really be fired for this????

I work at a bar slash hotel. Last week I had a glass of wine, one glass and tha was it. My boss I guess is really upset about it because she came to me the next day that I worked while I was on shift and freaked out on me. She was cursing and yeling at me calling me things like stupid, and a dumbass. Within the next few days she proceeded to talk to the other employees at my work about the matter and talk bad about me to them infont of costomers at the bar. Also I have recieved dirty messges on my cell phone, yet again cursing and yelling at me, also talking about my child that I already have. Whn I called her back to speak to her about the messages I just got yelled at some more and hung up on. I have recieved messages on my myspace from her about FAS and the affects of alchohol and unborn children. Today I recieved a call saying that I was fired. I called back and asked why, I was not given a reason. A few hours ago I recieved another call that a co-worker was fired today as well. That co-worker is my best freind, she was not given a reason either. I am being treated like I am a drunk. I had one glass of wine. I really don't think that one glass in 9 months is that bad. Can she fre me for drinking a glass of wine??? I wasn't on shift. Can she speak to me the way that she did??? Can she talk about me the way that she does to other employees???? Can she call me names???? Can I be Fired for my personal life when it doesn't effect my job??? Can she fire my best friend for being my freind???? What should I do????????????
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-27-2009, 12:12 AM

322 posts, read 509,916 times
I guess whether or not you could get fired for drinking alcohol at your place of employment would depend on what written company policies regarding alcohol are. However, your boss certainly has no right to harrass you via myspace and cell phones and swear at you. Alaska is also an at-will employment state, so I don't think they have to give you a reason to fire you. At any rate though, your boss's behavior was extremely unprofessional and you should report the behavior to her superior. And if that is the way she treats employees, I wouldn't WANT that job back.

Unread 04-27-2009, 12:34 AM

14,620 posts, read 22,924,878 times
Where you at? In my area the bars give the bartenders and waitress' an after work drink. Most don't take it because they are driving home...but the option is there. You should be glad you no longer work for the biznitchle. If she harasses you anymore...pour some sugar in her gas tank or report her to the authorities for stalking and/or harassment. That or a good old fashioned arse whoopin. Make sure you collect your last paycheck!

Unread 04-27-2009, 12:56 AM

319 posts, read 731,455 times
Keep detailed records and logs of everything that has happened .

Yes you have rights, but is it worth all the effort and stress associated with getting your job back and working for mindless individuals ?

Contact state dept of Human relations

Best bet is to move on - I guarantee you will get a better job working with better class of people, (for a short while) !

Unread 04-27-2009, 01:26 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,035,685 times
Some people are just plain mean, and not worth working for...sounds like you've met one of them...

Count yourself lucky to be "outta there"...

Bud

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:15 AM

2,192 posts, read 2,381,627 times
How is this relevant with Alaska? I think I'll go post on the Mexico forums talking about the poor quality of products made by Sony.

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:43 AM

14,620 posts, read 22,924,878 times
Well...if we don't hear back in the next day or so...I'll move this to the "Other Topics" Forum. I'm not real sure she is in Alaska.

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:46 AM

46,577 posts, read 40,954,508 times
dont drink on the job. getting fired these days is part of the wonderful world of employment at will.
sorry that happened to you.

Unread 04-27-2009, 02:46 AM

34,858 posts, read 50,336,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
How is this relevant with Alaska? I think I'll go post on the Mexico forums talking about the poor quality of products made by Sony.
While it's not easy to discern, at the core of her rambling post is a legal question. If she's located in Alaska, then Alaska law applies, making it an Alaska-specific question.

Unread 04-27-2009, 08:50 AM

7,089 posts, read 7,344,266 times
Since no location was cited, it makes this claim a bit suspicious. As far as the employer knows you may have had several drinks, it is known that you drank one while on the clock, how many more did you have? Is there any manner for the employer to verify how many you had. Do you habitually drink while at work? An afterwork drink is an entirely different manner, but, while at work some employers prefer you be clearheaded and sober. As far as mouthy goes, we do not know how many times you have drank on the job before, this does seem to be a bit of an over-reaction for a first-time offence. There are states, I know because I live in one, that do not require an employer to have any reason at all for termination, all employees are there at the will of the employer, most do not prefer to go through the re-hire process, if the employee is dependable, sober, efficient and cost effective, where is the cause for dismissal? True, sometimes there are personality conflicts, it happens. If your states laws are different, see an attorney. I/we have no way of knowing which state laws may be applicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska