Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:25 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
let me ask a question i have a 30/30 marlin would that take down say a bobcat or griz? or any other mammal i would prefer to keep the hell out of my way?
Even a .22 could take a bobcat, but the griz is quite another story. The
30-30 is generally considered way too small for griz,(and rightly so) but if I were forced to choose "no gun", or a "30-30" in a bear attack scenario...I'll take my chances with the gun...
That said, the 30-30 is commonly used in Alaska for all sorts of other big game (within it's range limitations); like deer, caribou, black bear, etc. Lot's of guys even use it for taking moose. A friend of mine did. One shot...moose down. Back in the late 1890's when it was first introduced, the 30-30 was considered the latest high-velocity marvel of it's time, perfect for just about everything from 'griz to alien spaceships. Me? I'll take my trusty old 30-06, or 45/70, instead.

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:00 PM

10 posts, read 26,795 times
Dear Tomcat:
I am from the LA area. I have been to Anchorage two years ago and am looking for someone to join on a hunting or hike trip. I hope I am not barging in, but should you get your moorings in Anchorage, would you consider having someone tag along to see the hunt?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:32 PM

65 posts, read 268,518 times
Sure, why not. I will say it would be in our best interest to have a "local" with more knowledge of the area. I am sure can find someone. I am working on a starting date right now. Should be there sometime in June.
Hopefully it time to do some fishing.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,208 times
According to the native hunters in the Arctic.. (I was surprized)

.223 will take down anything - in fact they said, (recent shoptalk ), A .22 magnum will take down - polar bear - walrus- even a bowhead whale if you shoot it right in the eye.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Yeah, the Eskimo are famous for hunting everything with 22 Hornet, etc.

And, if you are a *really* good hunter, if you can get up really close, you can essentially do "anything with nothing".

But, probably not the best thing for a guy who's starting out...

Agreed, the 30-30 will take any NA game, including Griz, if I can believe what I read. But, this is again in the hands of a really seriously experinced expert, and the 30-30 will not do much to get you out of a jam if you don't get the first shot right.

Gotta remember the accounts of killing Griz with a 30-30 were written by those who lived to tell the tale...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Billy Weber - Point Hope Alaska - Out on the ocean ice, armed with only a .22 rifle. a polar bear- jumped out from behind a piece of ice and went after Billy - This is common knowledge in Point Hope, it is easily verifiable

Billy ran, he only had one bullet in that rifle.. .. ..

As he was running, he merely pointed that .22 rifle back and pulled the trigger and kept running.. the bear wasn't running no more !!

that story has been told to me countless times over the years, I admit when I first heard it told I didn't believe it, I went to visit Billy and heard from his lips.. with much laughter !!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
I'm a decent shot, but a .223 is a little light and I'm not Dan'l Boone. Decent shot translates as "probably dead" when you're dealing with an animal as large as a bear, and my luck, when it comes to an eyeball shot, is not something I would care to rely on.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,758 times
Many years ago one of my uncles shot a black bear with a .22. It went down on the first shot, but he emptied the clip just to make sure. (8 shots in all) Definitely not recommended practice to use a .22 on bear...(not to mention illegal)

Bud

Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat6369 View Post
That is sad. I guess when I mean solitude, I don't want some person right next to me. Can't I have 20 plus feet on each side. I have never seen a river with no fish! A healthy habitat needs some form of fish in the waterway. I guess it is ocean fishing, better not sell the boat.

Rivers with no fish are all over the place in Alaska.. .. let me clue you in to a little unknown secret..

drive down to Glenallen - head towards valdez - ANY river name ending in 'na' has no fish !!

there is a lot of them.. A native told me that lil gem !!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
Rivers with no fish are all over the place in Alaska.. .. let me clue you in to a little unknown secret..

drive down to Glenallen - head towards valdez - ANY river name ending in 'na' has no fish !!

there is a lot of them.. A native told me that lil gem !!
OK...lets try it somewhere else...

Susitna, Tanana, Nenana, Yukona...that's the indian name, Koyukona, Slana, Chena, Chitna, Gulkana, Gakona...we can go on and on. Na is the Athabascan name for river. You have been had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska