Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM

3 posts, read 16,025 times

Advertisements

Touristy...I don't think that's really a word...but you get the idea?

My hubby and I have lived in Seward for 2 years now and will soon (VERY SOON!) be celebrating our 2nd anniversary. It's my year to plan our anniversary and I'm looking for something neat that we could go do/see here in Seward that we wouldn't neccesarily know about already. Any adventures around that only locals know about? Romantic spots that have awesome views (and don't take longer that an hour or so to get to?) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 AM

26 posts, read 113,824 times
I guess there's nothing non-touristy to do in Seward due to overwhelming responses.... I haven't lived here long but I think it would be fun to rent one of the state park cabins out in the bay and take a water taxi out there. Also girdwood is a fun short drive away and the restaurant there at Aleyeska--I think it's called seven glaciers is really fun. You take a tram up to the restaurant from the ski lodge. Maybe an overnight hike to lost lake. I haven't been to Hope yet. I'm not sure if there's anything to see over there. It's probably classified as touristy but the Kenai Fjords tour to Fox Island or there overnight trip there with the kayaking would also be a romantic getaway.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSweetpea View Post
Touristy...I don't think that's really a word...but you get the idea?

My hubby and I have lived in Seward for 2 years now and will soon (VERY SOON!) be celebrating our 2nd anniversary. It's my year to plan our anniversary and I'm looking for something neat that we could go do/see here in Seward that we wouldn't neccesarily know about already. Any adventures around that only locals know about? Romantic spots that have awesome views (and don't take longer that an hour or so to get to?) Thanks!

Congratulations on your anniversary! My wife and I will celebrate our 7th this year!

My #1 vote would be this (and I say this after having lived here for 61 years...I KNOW what's good, and what isn't...):

Orca Island Cabins

It is literally an island, albeit a small one...perhaps a hundred yards across. Have been there THREE times already, and each is an adventure...and then some. And...they have kayaks (free) for you to use, to explore the surrounding area with. (There is a cool salmon stream about 1/2 mile to the south with...um...er...bears!) (they don't bother the people...due to ultra-plentiful fish) (see that 2nd to last pic...and last pic? That's where they were...) We have seen thousands of salmon, sea otters, land otters, whales, seals, bears, sea birds, and totally incredible scenery...the place is just awesome...but it's not "touristy" at all...it's not at all crowded. (might be at most 6 people there at any given time)

There is a profound feeling of quiet solitude...like you are 1000 miles from civilization....but it only takes a 45-min boat ride to get there. The views are just awesome....just unbeatable. And the yurts give the feeling of home away from home...kind of hard to describe...peaceful...wild...remote...but at the same time secure...

Bring you fishing gear...we have caught salmon right off of shore from there.

You will NOT regret it...

Rule No. 1: DO NOT forget your camera...

I very rarely "plug" commercial businesses...and only when they deserve it...I make an exception in this case...this place is truly "something else"...a place to be remembered...IMO...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 05-19-2009 at 01:58 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Bud...Thanks for that link!!! Looks wonderful, fish off the shore, all the wildlife viewing you could ask for...how many people can say they've stayed in a yurt? I particularly like the watertaxi info with this "We specialize in small, personalized groups, rather than the large industrialized cattle tours." That is priceless in my book

Old 05-19-2009, 03:43 PM

26 posts, read 113,824 times
Looks great! Thanks Bud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska