Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM

261 posts, read 780,533 times

Advertisements

Ok so here's the scenario, we decided to sell my truck advertised it and had a guy round week last wednesday. He made an offer on it and I accepted we shook hands his friend was also there so witnessed it.
He told us the funds were being transferred from a lower 48 bank so would be here as soon as possible. On Saturday he told us the funds were in but he couldnt access them but had a friend coming up from Anchorage to help him put new rims on so could he take it if he left us a deposit? we agreed, he also left his own car with keys as security.
Sunday I talked to him about his car being for sale, agreed a price and he bought over the signed title and rest of keys etc, this was witnessed by his wife / girlfriend.
Since then he and his family have given us the runaround over the remaining cash. Today I called and was told it was all off, turns out someone was buying the truck for him and had decided against it now.

Where the heck do we stand ? I have signed the title to the car and started the transfer with a sale pending notice sent to Haines and hes apparently going to be bringing the truck back this evening and will obviously want to take the car.

Any input would be great

Thanks
Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,734,672 times
you need to find out what the law in Alaska or the area of Alaska your in states! I would not give back his car until you have consulted a lawyer or a free legal service if available. Move his car to a safe place away from your property until all is resolved. In the state I am in...if the title is signed over it is yours...period! If you did not sign the title to your truck over to him...you still own it period! good luck and I hope you end up with both just for the inconvenience and it sounds like they were trying to scam you.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Horizon View Post
Ok so here's the scenario, we decided to sell my truck advertised it and had a guy round week last wednesday. He made an offer on it and I accepted we shook hands his friend was also there so witnessed it.
He told us the funds were being transferred from a lower 48 bank so would be here as soon as possible. On Saturday he told us the funds were in but he couldnt access them but had a friend coming up from Anchorage to help him put new rims on so could he take it if he left us a deposit? we agreed, he also left his own car with keys as security.
Sunday I talked to him about his car being for sale, agreed a price and he bought over the signed title and rest of keys etc, this was witnessed by his wife / girlfriend.
Since then he and his family have given us the runaround over the remaining cash. Today I called and was told it was all off, turns out someone was buying the truck for him and had decided against it now.

Where the heck do we stand ? I have signed the title to the car and started the transfer with a sale pending notice sent to Haines and hes apparently going to be bringing the truck back this evening and will obviously want to take the car.

Any input would be great

Thanks
Jan
Funds transferred from the lower 48 are usually available in about an hour or so after the transfer. You might want to talk to an attorney or a notary public regarding the signed title. I would inspect the truck from front to back and the inside completely when he brings it back and would not give the deposit back. My concern would also be if he rode the truck hard or caused any damage. Unfortunately IMO the day of the handshake agreement is long gone. Keep us posted and I hope this gets resolved for you.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
you need to find out what the law in Alaska or the area of Alaska your in states! I would not give back his car until you have consulted a lawyer or a free legal service if available. Move his car to a safe place away from your property until all is resolved. In the state I am in...if the title is signed over it is yours...period! If you did not sign the title to your truck over to him...you still own it period! good luck and I hope you end up with both just for the inconvenience and it sounds like they were trying to scam you.

I agree with you.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:49 PM

I called a lawyer and spoke to them about this, his advice was that if they signed the title then the car is ours. The title to the truck was never signed over by either party so the truck is ours too. He advised me to call this family and give them until 5o'clock to return the truck or payment if neither is forthcoming to call the police and report the truck stolen. We have called all 3 numbers with this message (as politely as possible) and now are just sitting waiting.

I'm not sure if they were trying to scam us or if we have unwittingly got tied up in the middle of a family feud, either way thats their business, the sale of the truck is ours.

Will let you know what happens next .

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 PM

122 posts, read 389,506 times
Nothing you can do. It's just a bad deal. However, if he gave you a signed over title to his car, and assuming he gave you a receipt, and assuming you pay him for it, it's yours. However, since it probably wasn't notorized, he could take YOU to small claims court and get it back, plus you could be liable for the court costs. Lesson learned, don't consider the deal done until you have the cash. You should have written him a receipt for his down payment to make it a legitimate transaction. Either way, you lose on this one.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 PM

Just thought i'd post a conclusion
Well they turned up with my truck, they have done some damage which they will be paying for.
I gave them back their car it just wasnt worth the hassle as it turned out that it wasnt his to sell ... they are welcome to it i'm a big believer in karma and they will get theirs eventually.

Our first incident with Vally trash.

live and learn ... back to advertising the truck

Old 05-15-2009, 09:22 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
I guess the days are gone when you can get an honest deal with a handshake and someones word. When I look a person in the eye, shake hands and say it's a deal, it's a done deal. I keep my word, guess this trash doesn't know the word.
We did talk with an attorney about this, and he said that we were in the right, and that he has seen this a few times before.
We really just didn't want deal with any other crap from this trash.

Oh well, eh.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:16 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Horizon View Post
Just thought i'd post a conclusion
Well they turned up with my truck, they have done some damage which they will be paying for.
I gave them back their car it just wasnt worth the hassle as it turned out that it wasnt his to sell ... they are welcome to it i'm a big believer in karma and they will get theirs eventually.

Our first incident with Vally trash.

live and learn ... back to advertising the truck
Just be careful...If some going for a test drive..go with them (preferably armed )...if they are buying and pay even cash...drive them to the license bureau and watch the paperwork signed and title transferred...only way to be safe...sorry this happened to both of you...

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
Thanks Deb
It just seems that my faith in mankind goes down every year. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, and wish for the simpler, more honest times, don't know. It seems there are very few "real" people left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska