Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,382 times

Advertisements

Feature from NYT -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/18/sc...u.html?_r=1&hp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,416,517 times
We gain about an inch per year. My grandpa used to be able to take his commercial fishing boat upto the airport. Now it is swamps, and a golf course

Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Guess you'd better get up here with your camera fast before they're gone!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:20 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Guess you'd better get up here with your camera fast before they're gone!
It is no longer a question of 'if,' simply a matter of 'when.'

Old 05-18-2009, 04:08 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
It is no longer a question of 'if,' simply a matter of 'when.'
Kind of like "when" California falls into the ocean ? I think time will tell what Mother Nature has in mind.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 05-18-2009 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-18-2009, 05:35 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
Where's Floyd to obfuscate this thread?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:39 PM

244 posts, read 486,078 times
Another change in direction here. I thought sea levels were supposed to rise from the increased melting of the ice caps? Okay so if you had a heavy glacier you rise because the land is now lighter but if you dont have a glacier you sink because the oceans getting higher. Makes sense to me. Or just maybe they have only been keeping records of temps for 150 years out of millions and we really dont know what the optimum temps are supposed to be. In our arrogance we assume its what we have now and we must be the ones changing it and the last few cooler years are a blip.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
I get such a kick out of this stuff. Glaciers have been growing and receding for eons, and now in the last twenty years the "Experts" say we are all doomed... If we are, so what... I think it would be better spent enjoying life instead of running around with our hands in the air.

Forty years ago, in school they were teaching it was going to an oncoming ice age, but it didn't show up.

About some 25,000 years ago the Great Lakes were under a Glacier's sheet of ice, then it melted... again, so what. It made for a neat fishing spot...

We have dozens of volcano's going to blow here in Alaska just about all the time in the course of the big picture of time, and any one of them can put more crap into the air in a day than all of what mankind can do in decades. It would blot out the sun and lower the planet's temp a couple of degrees to where a new ice age could kick in.... so what... The sunsets will be a really pretty red...

A Meteor could come crashing out of the night sky and extinct us all like the dinosaurs... so what... It may be the cockroaches turn to rule the earth, heaven knows they have already been waiting for millions of years...

We are going to die in due time, and then what... who knows

Having said that, you don't dump your garbage over your fence into the neighbor's yard (well most of the time) and expect to have a clean street...

Basically for those dancing around with both hands in the air screaming the "Glaciers are melting, the Glaciers are melting"... put your hands down and into your pockets, take a deep breath and enjoy the time you have on the planet...

I think the bigger picture is that while everyone is standing on the mountain looking at the sky for answers, the guys that want to kill us for them to get to heaven, are going to sneak in down in the valley with a nuke and get their virgins...

You aren't getting off here alive. I am though, I have been in contact with Aliens and they are going to beam me up.... tough luck for the rest of you...

Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Where's Floyd to obfuscate this thread?
He'll be along shortly....

Old 05-19-2009, 01:54 AM

180 posts, read 566,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
maybe they have only been keeping records of temps for 150 years out of millions and we really dont know what the optimum temps are supposed to be. In our arrogance we assume its what we have now and we must be the ones changing it and the last few cooler years are a blip.
This kind of thinking misses the point. Even though they don't publicly admit it, Al Gore and the rest of the sustainability movement are about preserving the planet so it's fit for human life. What they're asking is... How can we continue to live technologically advanced lives in a way so that our kids will survive, and we don't have to put too many restrictions in place - like population control? They want cars, computers and ipods, but would also like to ensure the survival of our species. This is also the sole purpose of the EPA. It's not about the environment, exactly. For that, you'd have to look to deep ecology. We can let people continue to pollute, burn coal and use gasoline for transportation. The Earth will be fine... human kind will die. We'll just keep plugging away until there are all out wars over something like water.

People can sit around debating about what's causing it and how it all started, but it's still happening! We have enough knowledge to know how to mitigate it though.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska