U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 PM
 
Location: Homer Ak.
243 posts, read 411,126 times
Reputation: 130

Advertisements

Quote:
Get Hughesnet, it is high speed internet by Satellite to your house. The dish is oval shaped and about three feet across and mounts to the side of your house in most cases.

The national website is at HughesNet Services

The Alaska dealer is Alaska Satellite at (907)451-0088. I have had it at the house for about four years now and it works very well up by Fairbanks.
The only problem with Hughesnet is that the satelite provides the Download speed but most of the time the upload is done through the phone meaning your upload is at dial up speeds. Earthlink improves on this a bit by getting upload speeds to about 300 but that is still slower then basic dsl or cable modem.
Im in the middle of the miles of city here in SoCal and the fastest DSL speeds i get are 1500 download 380 upload. Satch has me beat by a longshot!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Wasilla
1,331 posts, read 2,590,878 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
The only problem with Hughesnet is that the satelite provides the Download speed but most of the time the upload is done through the phone meaning your upload is at dial up speeds. Earthlink improves on this a bit by getting upload speeds to about 300 but that is still slower then basic dsl or cable modem.
Im in the middle of the miles of city here in SoCal and the fastest DSL speeds i get are 1500 download 380 upload. Satch has me beat by a longshot!
The price is still ridiculous unfortunately. However, I'm a computer nut so it's a cost that has to be paid. After a full year of lousy 768k, this is a Godsend.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,948,189 times
Reputation: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
The only problem with Hughesnet is that the satelite provides the Download speed but most of the time the upload is done through the phone meaning your upload is at dial up speeds. Earthlink improves on this a bit by getting upload speeds to about 300 but that is still slower then basic dsl or cable modem.
Im in the middle of the miles of city here in SoCal and the fastest DSL speeds i get are 1500 download 380 upload. Satch has me beat by a longshot!
Nope, uses no phone lines, matter of fact you can make calls through it. There was an older system that did use phone for outbound calls, but not this system which is 100% satellite. Speeds I'm getting are not as fast as what you say you have, but I can download movies and watch them as in real time. What slows it down is a router with Wi-Fi, but if need I faster speeds, I plug directly into to the satellite modem.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Interior alaska
6,381 posts, read 11,948,189 times
Reputation: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
The price is still ridiculous unfortunately. However, I'm a computer nut so it's a cost that has to be paid. After a full year of lousy 768k, this is a Godsend.
My system was $390.00 then I got a $100.00 rebate off that. Installation is about $300.00+- because of where I live. The monthly charge is about the same as cable Internet.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,414,586 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
The only problem with Hughesnet is that the satelite provides the Download speed but most of the time the upload is done through the phone meaning your upload is at dial up speeds.
Hughesnet uses satellite for both the downlink and the uplink. It can be used in places where there simply is no telephone service at all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Wasilla
1,331 posts, read 2,590,878 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Hughesnet uses satellite for both the downlink and the uplink. It can be used in places where there simply is no telephone service at all.
Which is it's only advantage, as I'm positive that you already know. ADSL and cable are superior in speed/reliability, not to mention ping time(which is only a concern if you are doing some online gaming). And then there is the Fair Usage policy which I wouldn't be able to tolerate given my heavy reliance on Internet access.

I can understand why starlite mentions Hughes because in many places, especially here in Alaska, it is one's only means of Internet access.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top