U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM

3,450 posts, read 1,596,522 times
Default MTA Verses GCI

Just a quick question. We have MTA for our Cable in Internet connection. Over the last two days they have been up and down, up and down with the internet connection and the Cable has been choppy and marginal picture at best. I have found this to be true on and off since we signed up with MTA. Needless to say, I am not pleased with their service.

Can the GCI people out there give me a quick thumbs up or thumbs down on GCI's service? All I want to do is watch TV without a screen that jumps all over the place and log on to the internet knowing I will have a connection that works.

So, should we switch to GCI or is the grass not greener on the other side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 PM

5,964 posts, read 6,905,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Just a quick question. We have MTA for our Cable in Internet connection. Over the last two days they have been up and down, up and down with the internet connection and the Cable has been choppy and marginal picture at best. I have found this to be true on and off since we signed up with MTA. Needless to say, I am not pleased with their service.

Can the GCI people out there give me a quick thumbs up or thumbs down on GCI's service? All I want to do is watch TV without a screen that jumps all over the place and log on to the internet knowing I will have a connection that works.

So, should we switch to GCI or is the grass not greener on the other side?
We have always used GCI and no major problems with them; T.V. always fine, internet good (occassional down but usually due to a major problem somewhere) and good phone service. Personally, I would not want to use MTA.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 PM

145 posts, read 348,564 times
I have heard that GCI is better; we have MTA and have had the same problems. However, when we signed up, we were told that we were the very last people (in terms of distance) on their grid. That was a moment of quiet desperation So, up and down, slow, horribly expensive, but...we have it. Oh, did I say expensive and SLOW, and down more than up?

Good luck with your quest.

Deb

Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM

17,050 posts, read 10,901,516 times
I have been using MTA for the last 6 years and have had no problems. I'm on-line every day, some times for several hours at a time, and I have never had a problem connecting. I don't get MTA's DTV, so I can't comment on their service in that regard. I use to have DirecTV back in 2006 (before MTA came out with DTV), but the service was so bad that I ended up canceling my subscription. I have been watching DVDs exclusively since then.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 PM

I am thinking that MTA is going out the door when we move into our new house..

Old 05-20-2009, 10:36 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,913,467 times
Quote:
I am thinking that MTA is going out the door when we move into our new house..
Have you checked out their new speed tiers? I'm pretty pleased with it now.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Have you checked out their new speed tiers? I'm pretty pleased with it now.
I saw that post and I am glad you found something that works for you

While I certainly could use better speeds I do have a small issue with having to pay more for something that should work reliably to begin with. If I had solid reliability with what I have now I would be more inclined to pay for additional speed but when the basic service is not that reliable and the answer is to pay more to upgrade I am a little well...

I bet you get some kick butt download speed with the numbers you posted

Old 05-20-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I saw that post and I am glad you found something that works for you

While I certainly could use better speeds I do have a small issue with having to pay more for something that should work reliably to begin with. If I had solid reliability with what I have now I would be more inclined to pay for additional speed but when the basic service is not that reliable and the answer is to pay more to upgrade I am a little well...

I bet you get some kick butt download speed with the numbers you posted
Yep, I'm able to download my myriad game patches/updates/drivers at over 1 Megabyte/sec, which makes life much easier. However, it must be noted that I'm only 3500 feet from the nearest transmission node so I'm sure that has a direct impact on the reliability/speed of my connection.

That being said, I'm still paying $115/mo for this service when Comcast offered 16Mb/sec back in the People's Republik of California for $65/mo. But, I know that living in Alaska has it's drawbacks but it's benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:23 PM

6,272 posts, read 7,649,781 times
Get Hughesnet, it is high speed internet by Satellite to your house. The dish is oval shaped and about three feet across and mounts to the side of your house in most cases.

The national website is at HughesNet Services

The Alaska dealer is Alaska Satellite at (907)451-0088. I have had it at the house for about four years now and it works very well up by Fairbanks.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Get Hughesnet, it is high speed internet by Satellite to your house. The dish is oval shaped and about three feet across and mounts to the side of your house in most cases.

The national website is at HughesNet Services

The Alaska dealer is Alaska Satellite at (907)451-0088. I have had it at the house for about four years now and it works very well up by Fairbanks.
I looked into that when we lived in rural PA. It's speeds are too low for me and their download limits are ridiculous. However, if that's one's only choice, then they fit the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: