U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 AM

3,714 posts, read 8,121,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelationz View Post
Hi all...My husband is being transferred to Alaska and will be commuting between Kodiak and Ketchikan so we are needing a 3-4 bedroom house in a good area with good schools ASAP. I posted to craigslist but all that is there is Anchorage basically. Any suggestions? We are running out of time......Thanks so much!
Which place will need the schools? Is he military or Coast Guard? Kodiak has one school district and there is a school on the base. There is also one parochial school, but it's in no way limited to Catholics, I've known plenty of Russian Orthodox and some Jews stationed there who sent their kids to St Mary's. There is no 'good' area, as the Lower 48 knows it. You'll find houses of all kinds mixed together. If he's military, base housing should have a list, otherwise contact real estate offices, they mostly do property management as well.

Don't know anything about Ketchikan, as far as living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,035 times
Considering a job in Kodiak, but the housing situation is my only draw back. I can't find ANYTHING for rent there? Lots of homes for sale, but no rentals. Anyone have some feedback on why housing is so sparse?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM

6,919 posts, read 11,708,744 times
Because there is a big honkin' US Coast Guard Base there. Plus the can have influxes of seasonal workers depending on the fishing season. You probably aren't going to find too much on line. You might try picking up a telephone. Call the local real estate agents and the chamber of commerce.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,035 times
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,313 times
Default what about technology?

We are moving to Kodiak this summer, and I was wondering if our tivo will work up there? If not, I'll just sell it here in FL. Does anyone know?

Also, what about cell phones? I have Sprint. Their website shows that I'll be roaming in Kodiak, but I have free roaming. Does anyone else up there have Sprint?

This is a silly question but hey I don't know .... what about mailing letters from AK to FL? Is it the tradional 44 cents? What about calling the lower 48 from AK - is it normal free long distance if you have that on your cell plan or does that cost extra?

Please let me know! Thank you!!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,582,003 times
Check out GCI.com. You can get a DVR with your cable, not sure how Tivo's work up here but a DVR is the same thing. In Alaska cell phone plans distinguish between in-state calling vs out of state. I know of people in Anchorage using Sprint but I also know of one person being dropped by T Mobile for excess roaming.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 AM

18 posts, read 27,889 times
I am thinking about accepting a position with TSA in Kodiak. Before doing so I need to ask a few questions. First, I have a daughter which is a child with special healthcare needs. She is 19 years old and has cerebral palsy and seizure disorder. She is confined to a wheelchair. Is there adequate medical resources there for her? We would not only need a family practitioner, but also a neurologist, and physical therapist. Also, how do I get a vehicle over to Kodiak and what is the average cost to do so these days? Does anyone know of a handicapped accessible apartment or housing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Daniel

Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 AM

6,919 posts, read 11,708,744 times
These links should get you started. You'll have to make your own phone calls.

Kodiak Daily Mirror - Daily newspaper of Kodiak, Alaska

Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM

18 posts, read 27,889 times
Great links! Thanks for the help.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:42 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,121,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwblake View Post
I am thinking about accepting a position with TSA in Kodiak. Before doing so I need to ask a few questions. First, I have a daughter which is a child with special healthcare needs. She is 19 years old and has cerebral palsy and seizure disorder. She is confined to a wheelchair. Is there adequate medical resources there for her? We would not only need a family practitioner, but also a neurologist, and physical therapist. Also, how do I get a vehicle over to Kodiak and what is the average cost to do so these days? Does anyone know of a handicapped accessible apartment or housing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Daniel
I haven't lived there for about 10 years, but there were plenty of apartments and private homes that were wheelchair accessible, either to rent or buy. Many of the apartments are rented by the state and have a 'no pet' policy, but if you have a seizure alert dog, that would be acceptable. There was also plenty of medical services available as well. You could try contacting the state voc rehab office for current phone numbers. There was also sheltered housing and a sheltered workshop for people with disabilities. There are plenty of options in Kodiak.

As for the cost of bringing a vehicle, google the Alaska Marine Highway System. Used to be cheaper to drive up the Alcan and take the ferry from Seward or Homer, but with current gas prices, getting on the ferry at Bellingham WA might be a better bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska