U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:14 PM

10 posts, read 35,129 times

Advertisements

Finally decided, and definitely moving to Kodiak come August. Was just curious if anyone has any thoughts on housing. Don't really need all that much, just a place to lay my head. Read a little about the Fir Terrace and Sea View apartments and was just wondering if anyone has any input either way. Just trying to pin a place down ASAP. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,089,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM1684 View Post
Finally decided, and definitely moving to Kodiak come August. Was just curious if anyone has any thoughts on housing. Don't really need all that much, just a place to lay my head. Read a little about the Fir Terrace and Sea View apartments and was just wondering if anyone has any input either way. Just trying to pin a place down ASAP. Thanks!

I live in seaview apartments right now. They are old and crappy but the rent is cheap for me and my roomate at the moment. I am trying to find a house to buy right now, but the market is limited and the buying process is a major pain.

Places I would look for housing are Craigslist and the Kodiakdailymirror. Go to google, type in kodiakdailymirror and check the classifieds for stuff to rent. Craigslist usually has a few things on it. The other way to find somewhere is once you get here to check the inside of the grocery store on bulletin boards. The thing is, the coast guard here is having a massive turnover in the next few months and places to rent/buy are about to be very scarce. I suggest picking up whatever you can afford at the moment, then finding something more comfortable in the future when the summer rush/coast guard transition dies down. If you have other questions or need help just ask.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,117,530 times
Quote:
Fir Terrace is convenient, it's basically across the street from Safeway and Walmart. Unless things have changed a lot, there's also a lot of paperwork involved in getting into an apartment there. Best bet really is the bulletin boards in the stores, anything that's actually advertised will be more expensive. And consider a roommate or so, some of the fishermen have places that they might be willing to share, or if there are several of them, very few would be in town at the same time.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I won't be able to check the stores cause I need to pin down a place before I arrive and August, and that will be my first time in Kodiak. Would you be able to provide any information regarding the rents at Seaview or Fir Terrace? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I won't be able to check the stores cause I need to pin down a place before I arrive and August, and that will be my first time in Kodiak. Would you be able to provide any information regarding the rents at Seaview or Fir Terrace? Thanks!
Call them, and put a 'housing wanted' on craigslist. You'll have to get phone numbers from someone else or information. Or you could just camp out for a few weeks, plenty of others have.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,590,387 times
Make sure that you have a vehicle that can handle potholes. My wife and I spent a week there last May and they were freaking HUGE!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,855,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Make sure that you have a vehicle that can handle potholes. My wife and I spent a week there last May and they were freaking HUGE!!!
Damn that Obama. He is not content expanding the govt, now he is expanding potholes in Kodiak too.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
Damn that Obama. He is not content expanding the govt, now he is expanding potholes in Kodiak too.
Those potholes have been there forever. Some of them have names, even. There was one so big it regularly popped off hubcaps, and the guy who lived by it laid them all out on the edge of his lawn so whoever lost them could retrieve tham again. Another one a guy with a brand new truck hit, and it broke the truck frame - right off the showroom floor, and he never even got it home! Roads aren't good there, but on the other hand, not all that many people speed, either. Except on the paved ones.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 17,835 times
Default 3 or 4 Bedroom Needed...Kodiak or Ketchikan Area

Hi all...My husband is being transferred to Alaska and will be commuting between Kodiak and Ketchikan so we are needing a 3-4 bedroom house in a good area with good schools ASAP. I posted to craigslist but all that is there is Anchorage basically. Any suggestions? We are running out of time......Thanks so much!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM

Still searching for housing in KOdiak. Recently picked up a roommate who will be working in the schools there as well so now we're in the hunt for a 2-bedroom apartment or small house. We're also up for housesitting for a bit until we get our feet on the ground and find a place. If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska