U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,268 times

Advertisements

I'm really interested in straw bale homes, and was wondering if anyone in Alaska constructs them, or has a straw bale home. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I live in Bethel right now, but my husband and I would eventually like to move somewhere on the road system.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 PM

218 posts, read 441,314 times
good thread on straw bale homes already brought up on these boards : here

The national registry only lists 2 straw bale homes registered in Alaska. Good luck finding them on C-D!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
I think the biggest issue is getting straw in this state. And you want straw bales due to the hollowness of the straw.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:26 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,871,034 times
Jim Sykes, who ran for governor as a Green Party Candidate, has a straw bale house in Palmer. I'm not sure, but I think he got his straw in Alaska.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Jim Sykes, who ran for governor as a Green Party Candidate, has a straw bale house in Palmer. I'm not sure, but I think he got his straw in Alaska.
don't know if it is still for sale, but.... a 300+ acre hay farm in trapper creek w/equipment and trapper cabin for sale (I guess you would call them a trapper cabin, couldn't be more than 2 small rooms, couldn't be more than a single bed, maybe a cot, a chair and a woodstove, the hay barn/tractor barn is way bigger than the house, looks to be the size of a real barn, 3 walls, one of the long ends is open, my guess would be on the lee side, wouldn't imagine someone leaving the weather side open. close to a lake, also woods on property as well, looked a bit marshy on the posted ariel photo on the NE edge of the property going down to the lake. My first thought was, plant soybeans also, mature quickly and would draw in every moose within 100 miles, soybeans being high in protein, and change the straw to alfalfa and every grazing critter with a couple of hundred miles would pilgrimage to the site. Alfalfa, a sweet grass is also good, high quality, straw.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,871,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
don't know if it is still for sale, but.... a 300+ acre hay farm in trapper creek w/equipment and trapper cabin for sale (I guess you would call them a trapper cabin, couldn't be more than 2 small rooms, couldn't be more than a single bed, maybe a cot, a chair and a woodstove, the hay barn/tractor barn is way bigger than the house, looks to be the size of a real barn, 3 walls, one of the long ends is open, my guess would be on the lee side, wouldn't imagine someone leaving the weather side open. close to a lake, also woods on property as well, looked a bit marshy on the posted ariel photo on the NE edge of the property going down to the lake. My first thought was, plant soybeans also, mature quickly and would draw in every moose within 100 miles, soybeans being high in protein, and change the straw to alfalfa and every grazing critter with a couple of hundred miles would pilgrimage to the site. Alfalfa, a sweet grass is also good, high quality, straw.
Ha...nice thought. If you could figure out how to grow alfalfa and soybeans in Alaska you would be a rich man. They have to truck in the alfalfa from down below. That's why it's so costly to own a horse in Alaska.

Hay is mostly either timothy or brome.

The newest ag crop in Alaska is Peones. Seems that those flowers are in high demand about the time they are blooming here but no where else. Lots of people starting them up.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,895,229 times
I always thought Alfalfa was the kid in "Our Gang" that had the spiked hair! LOL

Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I always thought Alfalfa was the kid in "Our Gang" that had the spiked hair! LOL
Hummmmmm, makes me wonder just how many goofy lookin' freckled kids with spiked hair you could grow per acre? Also, is there a market for same?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,364,401 times
Straw is not hay. Straw is normally the stalks of cereals grains (http://www.uaf.edu/ces/publications-db/catalog/anr/FGV-00041.pdf - broken link), and have little (if any) nutritional value. Hay (forage (http://www.uaf.edu/ces/publications-db/catalog/anr/FGV-00042.pdf - broken link)) is usually grasses and legumes, and has high nutritional value. You build with straw, not hay (unless you want critters!). My research into building a straw bale home pointed me toward the barley and oat (sometimes wheat) farms in the Valley.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,640,460 times
Although I like the concept, my biggest concern with straw-bale construction would be that in some parts of Alaska it tends to rain A LOT. If any of that straw gets damp or wet, are we setting up conditions for mold and mildew to grow inside the walls? My wife is VERY allergic to that stuff...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or