U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times

Advertisements

Winter, 21 years ago I was laid off from the oilfeild. The ex wife had just given birth to our firstborn in August. I was up at the crack of dawn every morning, and out dropping trees, cutting up, packing chunks to the truck, then sitting in parking lot's with a firewood for sale sign on the truck. I paid off the hospital in cash just from selling firewood, not to mention groceries and gas. The one thing that helped...we were living in my newly framed small house with nothing for heat but a wood stove. No electricity, running water, had visquene windows, etc but very few bills. I busted my butt to make 65 bucks a day, and on a good day sold two loads for a cool 130 dollars.
Spuds from the garden and fish from that summer came in handy big time. I've had some rough times but thinking back they did me all the good. I take nothing for granted and am always thinking ahead. And it's amazing what one can do with top ramen!

I'll be unemployed come June. First time since that 21 years ago if I remember correct. But...I've got the garden, fish are coming, and top ramen is still pretty cheap! The cash I have stashed will be for Hannah's visa processing and hopefully her plane ticket to Alaska this fall. looks like I get a summer vacation right up to November.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,165,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Winter, 21 years ago I was laid off from the oilfeild. The ex wife had just given birth to our firstborn in August. I was up at the crack of dawn every morning, and out dropping trees, cutting up, packing chunks to the truck, then sitting in parking lot's with a firewood for sale sign on the truck. I paid off the hospital in cash just from selling firewood, not to mention groceries and gas. The one thing that helped...we were living in my newly framed small house with nothing for heat but a wood stove. No electricity, running water, had visquene windows, etc but very few bills. I busted my butt to make 65 bucks a day, and on a good day sold two loads for a cool 130 dollars.
Spuds from the garden and fish from that summer came in handy big time. I've had some rough times but thinking back they did me all the good. I take nothing for granted and am always thinking ahead. And it's amazing what one can do with top ramen!

I'll be unemployed come June. First time since that 21 years ago if I remember correct. But...I've got the garden, fish are coming, and top ramen is still pretty cheap! The cash I have stashed will be for Hannah's visa processing and hopefully her plane ticket to Alaska this fall. looks like I get a summer vacation right up to November.
I like that attitude

Old 05-24-2009, 11:28 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,076,457 times
You're right Rance, the hard times strengthen us for times to come. Always learn from the past and improve for the future.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:15 AM

45 posts, read 90,692 times
I'm such a lurker I can't believe I'm posting in two threads today! But, when I came up in '79,
I had nothing, no job, no wife (just an ex), but a place to live thanks to a good friend, no plumbing, no heat, no car, but hey, it was dry, and I could stay there indefinitely. Life was an oyster. Now I'm a relatively old codger with a stable job, wonderful wife, a teen age son, nice comfortable home, and for us at least, the poor economy hasn't had much of an impact. I don't grouse at the high cost of things relative to outside prices, I don't drive any less because Tesoro continues to take advantage of it's market position, I have compromised on how we heat the house and shop, wood stove using the gas has a backup instead of the other way around, (son needs to know how to chop and split wood!!), and we did update thermal quality to help reduce electric costs. I plan to keep my paid for truck until it won't go any more. But a little more money to live in alaska has always been what I've known, it just is and I accept that and won't leave, even if our income should drop substantially. Things might get a lot harder should that happen, but as the song says "we will survive".

Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,506,445 times
Rance and Bytes, you are true AK. It's the attitude that makes you one of the very rare and dying breed, which is what I feel life in AK is all about. Independent, self sufficient, survivor instinct. It is the moral fiber present there that is so missing in the majority of the -48. You can still find it a little in small town living. Neph is right on, you should visit the Mich forum to get a glimpse of some of the heartbreak, worse in some places than others. Families living in cars, children living in shelters and still trying to do well in school. So you buckle down, give up the cable tv you thought you couldn't live without, enjoy reading again, plant a bigger garden, get out the fishing pole, and learn to get back to the basics of treasuring friends and family, not possessions. Some good can come out of these hard times if people can see their way back to old fashion virtues. But then again, I've always considered myself born in the wrong era. Technology smology Ok, climbing down off of my soap box now.

Last edited by lyoness; 05-25-2009 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Adding, like I'm not wordy enough :)

Old 05-25-2009, 11:53 AM

319 posts, read 840,068 times
Default truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbytes View Post
I'm such a lurker I can't believe I'm posting in two threads today! But, when I came up in '79,
I had nothing, no job, no wife (just an ex), but a place to live thanks to a good friend, no plumbing, no heat, no car, but hey, it was dry, and I could stay there indefinitely. Life was an oyster. Now I'm a relatively old codger with a stable job, wonderful wife, a teen age son, nice comfortable home, and for us at least, the poor economy hasn't had much of an impact. I don't grouse at the high cost of things relative to outside prices, I don't drive any less because Tesoro continues to take advantage of it's market position, I have compromised on how we heat the house and shop, wood stove using the gas has a backup instead of the other way around, (son needs to know how to chop and split wood!!), and we did update thermal quality to help reduce electric costs. I plan to keep my paid for truck until it won't go any more. But a little more money to live in alaska has always been what I've known, it just is and I accept that and won't leave, even if our income should drop substantially. Things might get a lot harder should that happen, but as the song says "we will survive".
if your truck breaks let me know and i'll fix it for ya.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,115,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Rance and Bytes, you are true AK. It's the attitude that makes you one of the very rare and dying breed, which is what I feel life in AK is all about. Independent, self sufficient, survivor instinct. It is the moral fiber present there that is so missing in the majority of the -48. You can still find it a little in small town living. Neph is right on, you should visit the Mich forum to get a glimpse of some of the heartbreak, worse in some places than others. Families living in cars, children living in shelters and still trying to do well in school. So you buckle down, give up the cable tv you thought you couldn't live without, enjoy reading again, plant a bigger garden, get out the fishing pole, and learn to get back to the basics of treasuring friends and family, not possessions. Some good can come out of these hard times if people can see their way back to old fashion virtues. But then again, I've always considered myself born in the wrong era. Technology smology Ok, climbing down off of my soap box now.
When I got to AK, it was with a plane ticket someone else paid for, that I had to repay eventually. I had exactly one quarter in my pocket, then. But there was always a job of some kind, and I got by - and managed to raise a couple of offspring who expect to earn the money to pay for what they get or want. It wasn't always easy, not by a long shot. I also read other forums where people complain about not being able to keep up the standard of living they chose, and for the most part, I am bemused and beswoggled by their attitudes. It's such second nature for me to live within my means, whatever they are, I simply don't get consumerism. I've known people who had excellent jobs and were well-paid, who also were aware that anything could happen and at a turn of the dice, they might be living out of their car - and were pleased to think that if it ever came to that, they knew the best places to poach to feed their families, and this was in the Lower 48. That attitude is a lot more prevalent in AK, though.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 PM

218 posts, read 441,314 times
Consumerism is human nature, those who harness it and control it live happily no matter their circumstances, those who don't become exploited by capitalism. Don't get me wrong, I believe honest capitalism is the greatest, freest economic system in existence today. Corporations and capitalism will destroy those who do not control their desire to consume. It all comes down to self control and wise decision making on the individuals part.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 AM

45 posts, read 90,692 times
unconscious: "if your truck breaks let me know and i'll fix it for ya." you never know when that will happen.
Are you in Nikiski?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,165,472 times
Polar... Like your "Nikiski suburbs"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska