U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 01:20 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,887,567 times

Advertisements

We moved up last summer after having a full time (year round) job offer and the house to live in. We are still in the house and hubby has been laid off twice in less than a year...something he has never had to deal with. He hasn't worked since February. Thank God we have been able to bring in a slight income with horse boarding. But it's been so hard. I homeschool but now that we're almost through they are enrolled to start school this Fall with the rest of the Valley kids. I would love to find work I could do from home until the 3 year old starts school in 2 years, but I may have to put him in daycare and go back to dental assisting (if there are even any jobs like that available).
I wonder when things are going to get any better for this country or if this is just the beginning
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM

20,426 posts, read 26,555,365 times
Dream, have you thought about getting a job with the school system so you could have the same days off as your kids?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,118,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Dream, have you thought about getting a job with the school system so you could have the same days off as your kids?
I did that for about 10 years, though I also had second jobs at the same time. The SD was more for the health insurance for the kids, though.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM

45 posts, read 90,724 times
Granny,
you can't hoodwink the regulars! they all know that everywhere in Nikiski is in the suburbs

Old 05-27-2009, 11:30 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,946,614 times
One thing about Alaska is that if you want to work, you can find something to do anywhere you go.

I have cut firewood to sell, picked cranberries at .50 cents a pound... seems that about half of them didn't make it to the Gal that bought them for her Candy Kitchen between eating them and having cranberry squirt fights, came home looking pretty bloody from the berry juice...

I started "Sliming" fish when I was 14 in Bethel, by 16 I got tired of that and started working the Riverboats carrying freight from Bethel to McGrath...

Pumped Gas, tuned up cars, chased girls...uh, that was work too, most were faster than me....

Went into the Coast Guard and got stationed back in Alaska for a bunch of years and then started my own companies (couple of them), went broke a couple of times and kept at it.

The point is there is always something that you can do if you have the will to go out an try! You can paint light switches and tourist will buy them, they sky is the limit...

Or, you can sit on your Butt and feel sorry for yourself and go really broke...

Then you can go to Bean's in Anchorage and get free meals, go next door to the shelter and get a warm bunk for the night. After a good nights rest, head out to one of the intersections with a sign stating "Help me, Homeless", collect tax free money and get enough to buy a car to get out of Alaska to where you started at....

Alaska is full of stories where people came here with less than a dollar in their pocket and made a good living, or even better... It is what you make of it

Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,561,048 times
Ah the berry picking. My brothers and I picked and sold berries in grade school. We'd pick everyday after school. We filled the entire back of my dads pickup one fall, with low bush cranberries.
Bought my first plane with my money. Had a cox engine, two strings with a handle, and went round and round in circles!
We even went as far as making minature birchbark canoes and sold to the local gift shops. Not big money...but enough to buy a candy bar or some other worthless item that we really needed!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Ah the berry picking. My brothers and I picked and sold berries in grade school. We'd pick everyday after school. We filled the entire back of my dads pickup one fall, with low bush cranberries.
Bought my first plane with my money. Had a cox engine, two strings with a handle, and went round and round in circles!
We even went as far as making minature birchbark canoes and sold to the local gift shops. Not big money...but enough to buy a candy bar or some other worthless item that we really needed!
I splurged and bought a "Cranberry Picker", sounded good, but seemed to collect more leaves than berries... Not to mention it crushed the berries more than not...

Yep, I got my first plane the same way... had the .049 in it... lots of HP, even started it backwards a couple of times after smacking my fingers a few times, really hard... The first flight came back around because I glued the rudder direction on wrong and it came back at me, stupid strings didn't do a thing for it that flight, there was no "U-control" about it.

But I moved up to Estes Rockets... Made one we could shoot at moose from the other side of Eagle River Valley... Never got close, but the homemade cherry bomb war heads scared the hell out of the moose...

Uh, I think the statue of limitations expires after 50 years or so right?

Back then, pop bottles in Anchorage had a ten cent deposit on them, use to go down to Boniface and Debarr before they were paved and mined the bottles in the ditch by the stop signs, made a few bucks a week for the old candy fund too...

But I got to say, Sliming fish in Bethel with no running water to get the fish scales off after a 15 hour day, was a bit miserable, the bears kept trying to snag us thinking we were fish with scales permanently stuck to us...

Didn't do the canoes to sell, we kinda made them, but filled them up with little plastic soldiers and a touch of oil... set them on fire and sailed them down Eagle River and shot at them with our trusty BB guns while running down the river bank....

Yep, those were the days....

Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 AM

3,774 posts, read 9,898,448 times
I remember the small pop bottles were a 1 cent deposit and the large ones were a nickel. It was a real find! Candy bars were a nickel apiece.

BB guns were the thing, and yes I had Marx soldier sets, civil war, Revolutionary war, and WWII sets. Tonka trucks. Black Cat firecrackers, the best.

Mitch Miller on Friday nights. "Be kind to your web footed friends..."

Ed Sullivan and Lawrence Welk "Wunnerful, wunnerful!"

Sky King, Sea Hunt, the 3 Stooges.

Sunday suits, and a backyard fort.

Nostalgia suddenly set in.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I remember the small pop bottles were a 1 cent deposit and the large ones were a nickel. It was a real find! Candy bars were a nickel apiece.

BB guns were the thing, and yes I had Marx soldier sets, civil war, Revolutionary war, and WWII sets. Tonka trucks. Black Cat firecrackers, the best.

Mitch Miller on Friday nights. "Be kind to your web footed friends..."

Ed Sullivan and Lawrence Welk "Wunnerful, wunnerful!"

Sky King, Sea Hunt, the 3 Stooges.

Sunday suits, and a backyard fort.

Nostalgia suddenly set in.
There was one TV channel in Anchorage, it came on the morning, went off the air about ten AM and then came back on around four in the afternoon til about ten at night.

All the news was two weeks old, by tape delay... Too bad they didn't have the Super Bowl back then, could have made a killing betting locally on the game results...

The local kids shows were pretty dumb, but we all watched them! The "Buckaroo's" was a kids show where the host wore a sealskin vest and cowboy hat with local kids on the show interspersed with cartoons... Was watching it in '64 when the Earthquake hit...

People that lived out of town got their messages from the local AM radio stations when they read the messages to them out over the air. Everyone listened to "Eavesdrop" on what was going on to the "Smith's" out at "No Name" creek...

Now we have dozens of local channels 24/7 and nothing worth watching...

Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,561,048 times
I'll bet you watched the sourdough show...with mother moose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska