Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 15,342 times

Advertisements

Hi! This is my first thread and I just wanted some info from people who have been there or are there now. My family and I are moving to Fort Richardson in the November/December time frame. This is not our first pcs with the Army, we have been to Germany, are now in Hawaii, and on to Alaska. I would like to know the following:
1. What are the preschools/elementary schools like in that area? Any suggestions?
2. Is there a waiting list for housing? Army onestop says nothing......just to call the office.
3. What is the on base housing like? Is it nice? Garage/carport? Tell me about it. Are they building new housing on base? They are in Hawaii ........just asking. Do you have the option of living on Elmendorf? Here we had the option of Navy housing too.......that's why I asked.
4. Any other info that you feel the need to pass along.

We are soooo excited to be coming to Alaska. Can't wait. Thanks in advance for your replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 PM

119 posts, read 387,550 times
Hi there, best wishes for a happy transition to the great state of Alaska. I'll try to answer some of your questions.
1. There are preschools and elementary schools on post. I never heard anything negative about them. Off post there are good schools as well, but that's a whole other conversation.
2.Waiting list depends on the usual factors, rank, bedroom requirement, key and essential, etc. You will need to call housing for your particular situation.
3. Yes, they have built a large number of new housing units, and remodeled some old ones, turning 8 plexes into 4 plexes with garages. The new ones and the remodeled ones are very nice. Older, unremodeled, not so much. The old eight plexes do not have garages, there are plug ins and designated parking spaces. I believe housing on Fort Rich and EAFB are still separate, but they are in the process of merging the two installations, so housing options may change to include EAFB.
4. Check out the many threads in this forum, some great info and pictures here. Any other questions, just ask.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:31 AM

Mahalo! Ok, the new housing pictures must not be up on Army Onestop yet.....lol. I'm not really that picky......no mold, no bugs, and would prefer no apartments....I like things on the ground Those are really my only requirements. The pictures online look like the housing is pretty good. Do most places have basements? Are they sealed good or do they leak when the snow melts? We just found out my husbands brother is going there too.......so it's a family affair . Does housing require a deposit when you move in? They did in Hawaii but not in Germany. Should I get my truck the heating block before we go or should I wait until we get there?(thing that you plug in so it will start) Again we are coming in the dead of winter (November).lol We are going to tour some schools when we get there. We have our eye on some private schools and some public. Just need to get there to see for sure.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM

How are elementary students graded? Do they get letter grades? or possibly number grades? etc..........thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,905 times
Hi,
my husband just found out that we will be moving to Ft. Rich in November. My husband is currently finishing his AIT in TX and this will be our first move. We have a 3 year old son who is not in prescholl yet, but will be when we get there. Any info on the preschools or anything else would be great.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska