U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 02:47 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,192,014 times

Advertisements

We came almost two years ago in August...My man-guy got laid off twice in a month...how many couples are up here with two-people incomes working....

This happened to us in the last couple months, economy...I brought my job with and am still working, don't see losing it soon, but am working overtime + to make up the difference and being creative...how many people moving up recently or have been here and feel okay in their world... or not...any thoughts.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 AM

153 posts, read 401,016 times
We're on our way soon, and I am not comfortable. I can't bring my job with me (I'm a lowly nursing/med aide), and Anchorage area offers 2/3 of my wage here in San Antonio (which is sad, really, because SA has craptastic wages).

It is enough to make me consider going back into adult entertainment (ensured income level, if high burnout and stress) to help smooth our way, while I am finishing my degree in prep for med school.

Shan

Old 05-24-2009, 12:20 PM

6,307 posts, read 4,190,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoatflan View Post
We're on our way soon, and I am not comfortable. I can't bring my job with me (I'm a lowly nursing/med aide), and Anchorage area offers 2/3 of my wage here in San Antonio (which is sad, really, because SA has craptastic wages).

It is enough to make me consider going back into adult entertainment (ensured income level, if high burnout and stress) to help smooth our way, while I am finishing my degree in prep for med school.

Shan
Well, I am heading to the kitchen to get a bag of popcorn This has got to get interesting...

Old 05-24-2009, 12:28 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,129,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
We came almost two years ago in August...My man-guy got laid off twice in a month...how many couples are up here with two-people incomes working....

This happened to us in the last couple months, economy...I brought my job with and am still working, don't see losing it soon, but am working overtime + to make up the difference and being creative...how many people moving up recently or have been here and feel okay in their world... or not...any thoughts.....
There were times I worked 2 jobs, one F/T, one P/T, other times two F/T. Once I had a day job, plus an on-call job, and I averaged around 100 hours/week. I always had one job with health insurance, for what good it did. DH couldn't work a regular job due to physical reasons, but he managed to do enough trading and selling of various things to add substantially to our income. We also had a house big enough to keep boarders, some in exchange for work, one kept us suppied with enough firewood to keep the house heated all winter, others did other things. Looking back, I guess it was hard work, but at the time, it's just the way it was. In Alaska, you either compromise or it eats you alive. If you get picky about what kind of work you will or won't do, it will make life a lot harder. The only reason I'm not still there is because after DH died, I couldn't afford to move back. That, and it's difficult to get around when one can't drive anymore.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,301,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post

Yup, two incomes here. Everything seems to be secure so far, but you never know what can happen. However, relatives and friends down south are definitely feeling the hard times more. Particularly some of our friends who are self employed, I hear stories that they haven't been paid since Jan or Feb! So all things considered Alaska is still doing better than most.

Hope everything works out for you. Perseverence always pays off in the end!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:23 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,098,209 times
Two incomes here also. We started off here sort of rocky, the job transfer that Jan had fell through the week after we arrived, we were really counting on that. We had a good amount of savings, but with Jan's job falling apart, we went through that much faster then expected. The job market for me had dried up a bit in the period of time we took to get up here.

We are now starting to dig ourselves out of a hole, though things are starting to look up for us. Jan is being put up to management. I'm working, and I just found out about a better good job from our landlord, I'll be calling Tuesday. They wanted me back when we arrived, but I was still holding out for better, now I'll be jumping all over it.

I still go onto the Michigan forum here, there is really lots of doom and gloom posts there.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:57 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,239,110 times
one income here, but it's just me. as of june it's gonna be hard to say how things are going. the SE is in a rough way at the moment, so I may be looking at the south central area this fall.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:15 PM

16,183 posts, read 27,535,764 times
Alaska is just like any other place, not just greener grass at the other side of the mountain. But it's far away than most places in the lower-48, so one would usually have to take a big loss just to start something new. The loss incurred is relating to having to get rid of a lot of stuff you already own, before you come up here. Then you realize that it does not matter where you go, since you have to start from scratch, and work much harder than before to own similar things as the ones you had to sell or give-away before moving to Alaska. Not only that, but time passes real fast and you realize that working so hard is more difficult than when you were younger and had a lot more energy and desire to do so.

The best idea would be to slowly get closer to the rest of the family, hopefully one where all the family member pitch-in and work for a common goal. Up here there is more work during the summer months, but not so during the winter months when everything is more expensive. One has to consider that there are a lot of Alaskans already working the best jobs, and that it's not easy to displace one of these people so you can get his or her job. It means that you will have to do the kind or work others don't want to, mostly which is part-time, seasonal, or temporary. So, if you make it for a couple of winters, there is a good chance that you will make it for a few more winters. That's the reality of living in Alaska.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-24-2009 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 09:42 PM

243 posts, read 411,701 times
As i dont live there yet all i can offer you is my prayers and well wishing that you get settled and stabilized soon. I know you love living there, it shows in all you say about it. A door never closes without a window opening!
thoughts prayers and best wishes to you and yours

Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,192,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
As i dont live there yet all i can offer you is my prayers and well wishing that you get settled and stabilized soon. I know you love living there, it shows in all you say about it. A door never closes without a window opening!
thoughts prayers and best wishes to you and yours
This is not a pity party by any means...we are fine for the time being. I was just curious as to how others feel about this economy, job situation, prices...etc. Thanks for the thoughts though...wonder if I can still climb out (or in) a window
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska