U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:20 PM

16,174 posts, read 27,449,163 times

Advertisements

All places have differences and similarities. There could be two people living in the bush, or in the city, and each has a different view of the same things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 02:36 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,899,341 times
There's a phrase about all history being personal, and the same goes for viewpoints. My view is different because I have a personal history that will never quite correspond to anyone else's. When the people in the US were not transient, and lived in the same neighborhoods as their parents and their friends for all of their lives, viewpoints within that neighborhood were close to homogenous. They had the same basic experiences, same lifestyle, and much of the same history to tie their viewpoints together.

With a society that now views a move every five years as normal, multiple jobs and careers as a new trend in lifestyles that affects 60% of the population, we now have a population that changes venues as often as other people might buy a car. This leads to a difference in viewpoints in even close knot societies.

Or, as my father used to say, opinions are like buttholes: everyone has one and they all stink. My opinion is different from the rest because it's personal. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's just my opinion.

JMO, of course!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 PM

20,428 posts, read 26,560,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Is she truly different, or a state of mind for those who were raised here, moved here... Does reality overcome fantasy...is she truly different or just a change of 'scenery'....Should she be conquered and turned into just another place, or is she already? Other than the fact we are in a part of country separate from the rest, is Alaska really different than living anywhere else? Any thoughts?
Well, like others have said, it depends on the person as well as the part of Alaska. I've never found Anchorage so very different. If someone held a gun to my head and said I had to live in a city, it would be Portland.

In the rural parts of AK where I have lived, it seems that quite a few of the newcomers complain that it isn't like where they left. The last logging boom on POW was representative of that...most of them made it clear that they were only there to take what they could and hot foot it back south as soon as possible. A few, though, stayed and made real lives.

During the off tourist season I feel comfortable leaving my keys in my truck, either in the Su Valley or on POW. I feel more of a sense of personal freedom, as well as personal safety. A lot of made of the statistical high crime rates in AK but it's been my experience that by avoiding a certain lifestyle and those who live it, you're safer there than anywhere. Crime in the lower forty eight is much more random.

I think that there are some who move to AK thinking its going to fix their lives. Most often they are disappointed.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 PM

4,986 posts, read 8,287,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that there are some who move to AK thinking its going to fix their lives. Most often they are disappointed.
So true. It is best perhaps best expressed in the old saying - "where ever you go, there you are". Simply put, if you are moving to Alaska (or anywhere else for that matter) because you wish to experience all the place has to offer, you will thrive. If however you are moving in an attempt to escape the demons that plague your personal life, they will only follow you here and you will continue to be miserable.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,948,189 times
Quote:
Is she truly different, or a state of mind for those who were raised here, moved here... Does reality overcome fantasy...is she truly different or just a change of 'scenery'....Should she be conquered and turned into just another place, or is she already? Other than the fact we are in a part of country separate from the rest, is Alaska really different than living anywhere else? Any thoughts?
One of the best measures of answering you question is what people do after getting here.

They start calling themselves "Alaskans" almost from day one, which is fine, but when they talk with others, they rate their "rank" by how long they have been here... Which is fine and funny at the same time...

When someone moves to most other states, they always refer to themselves as "From" whatever State they are from....

As far as "Alaska" goes, it is different, but that is because when people come here, they can still strike out and make something of themselves from nothing. In due time there will be an end to that as the population keeps increasing, there will be a point where we are stuck in the same mire that other states have been bogged down with.... To many restrictions and people blocking what you are trying to do!

Old 05-26-2009, 05:08 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,498,005 times
Quote:
Yes Granny she is different. We've been in the lower 48 since last September. We are in Minot, ND at a Super8, heading back out this morning. We are heading into Montana since hubby wants to stop there even though it's out of the way lol, and head to the Canadian Border from there. I will write lots more about my thoughts when I have time. All I can say is seriously, pray she "never" becomes just like any other State.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,386,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbytes View Post
I guess for me, what defines Alaska is it's isolation. I know, I know, you can get on an airplane and be anywhere in a few hours, but that's only if you are on the road system. Those folks who live in the bush know that their lives are dependent on each other because of that isolation and I think that is why the state is so unique. Yes, other states have splendid areas of little or no obvious impacts of man evident, but even in these areas, there is a road system that to some degree negates that splendid isolation. But here, when you are in the Gates of the Arctic, you are by gum!, really isolated. You have a problem, you solve it or you may die. For me, that defines why I continue to live here. Even if I now live in a place, that by all standards has all the same amenities of outside locals, Nikiski, I am still in close proximity to that intangible and exciting prospect of true isolation. I am now getting too old to enjoy the complete freedom of the raw, unadultrated wild places that I explored when a younger man, most notably a three week backpack in Wrangel-St.Elias by myself, or river trip in GofA, just knowing it is still there and mostly unchanged, recharges my batteries and renews my wonder of Alaska. And I don't think that any continued "gentrification" of the road system where so many live, will ever change that.
hey Polorbytes your still on the forum!!!! great...I PM'd you asking for follow up info from you which we chatted about a long time ago and now I could use more details...thanks!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 AM

2,739 posts, read 7,644,888 times
For the most part, Alaska is VERY different. And unique...nothing else like it anywhere. Of course, there are a few exceptions in some areas (Los-Anchorage comes to mind) (no offense intended to Anchorage-ites...used to live there myself)
In other words, there is an extreme diversity to be found here: from "big city" feel to almost total wilderness isolation...something for everyone.

Like: how many towns or cities in the lower-48 have snowmachines and 4-wheelers as their main mode of transportation? And how many of them have the entire town population show up to drag a whale up onto the beach? And then chop it up and eat the blubber (fat) RAW? (ugh!)
I've heard quite a few guys say the real plus about living in Alaska is being able to go out on the back porch and take a "whiz", or take a few practice shots with their 30-06, without getting into trouble with the local police...
(my wife frowns on both practices...but then...she's from Florida...)

Bud

Old 05-27-2009, 01:49 AM

46 posts, read 140,376 times
I grew up in Alaska (Anchorage) and also spent time in Bethel, Fairbanks and Palmer. In my opinion, Alaska truly is the last frontier. The isolation, sheer volume of rough wilderness, weather, unique economics and politics, all set it apart from the rest of the country. My father is an atty. and moved to AK in the early 70's. The stories he has about some of his clients are like something out of the wild west. My younger years were spent ice climbing, picking blueberries while singing to keep the bears away, eating rhubarb pies and fishing king salmon - truly unique experiences for any other state. Ultimately, I think it is the sheer size of unconquered wilderness,the harsh weather, and the distance from the rest of the country that sets Alaska apart. The vast majority of the state is wild and untamed. I also think there still exists a lot of opportunity in Alaska. In retrospect, I feel fortunate to have grown up there.

Last edited by rockybird; 05-27-2009 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or