U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Now that health problems are in the rear view mirror its looking like we will be moving to the Kenai Peninsula this summer. I have seen lotsa people say dont bring Cali. with you. You dont need to worry about the politics as thats a major reason we are leaving but what other attitudes are you refering to?
I know with my mother born and raised in Cali, when she moved to Utah the hardest thing for her was every one looking her in the eye! In Cali. thats subconscious aggresive behavior!
Thoughts?
====================
great dear i read your comment i agry with you i learn alot of things from your comment i hope everyone lieks your post dear thanx for this information god bless you take care
==================
brock lesner
===================
Mod Cut

Last edited by Rance; 05-27-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,541,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
And now, the mother of all "Don'ts" -

Don't listen to people who write posts on C-D that contains the word "Don't..."
Especially by someone who uses three of them.

For the most part, be yourself and be open to new ideas.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,459,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Don't:

Try to change anything or anyone for at least 5 years. It's not like back home for a reason.

Be surprised to see mobile homes, next to shacks, next to $300,000 homes. And all of them living harmoniously together.

Judge anyone by what they wear or drive. Some of these old-timers wear oil stained overalls and drive beater trucks, but they are very well off.

Ignore people when they greet you with a smile. They expect a greeting and smile in return.

Give up easily after you arrive. It takes awhile sometimes to let the country in.

All in All, I think you will do well here. After a few months you will feel at home.
Very well put, based on recent experience!

I would only add, no matter how many "conveniences" you see up here.........DON'T forget this is ALASKA and she'll remind you should you forget .

Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,108,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Now that health problems are in the rear view mirror its looking like we will be moving to the Kenai Peninsula this summer. I have seen lotsa people say dont bring Cali. with you. You dont need to worry about the politics as thats a major reason we are leaving but what other attitudes are you refering to?
I know with my mother born and raised in Cali, when she moved to Utah the hardest thing for her was every one looking her in the eye! In Cali. thats subconscious aggresive behavior!
Thoughts?
I'm glad you're able to come up; just be yourself and you'll be fine.

Prepare for a bit of culture shock....the looking people in the eye business is pretty strange, isn't it? It's normal for both Prince of Wales Island and my little town in Oregon; but when I go to the city I learned to curtail that.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 PM

6,420 posts, read 7,653,527 times
That's something that I think is great, looking someone in the eye while talking, saying hi, or even just passing by. You can tell a lot from the eyes.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,505,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
That's something that I think is great, looking someone in the eye while talking, saying hi, or even just passing by. You can tell a lot from the eyes.
Do that in many places, and you'll find that everyone sort of shuns you. The obvious indication being that you don't trust them (and hence they should clearly not trust you either).

It isn't so much true today as it was a few decades back, but when I first went to western Alaska most people there thought the rudest thng that Outsiders do was to look at someone in the eye, and then ask a direct question. Every new school teacher, for example, would look kids in the eye and ask "What's your name?". The kids would look down in embarassment, shrug their shoulders, and in an attempt to be polite, say "I don't know." Teachers thought the kids were dumb, kids thought the teachers were dumb.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:01 PM

Looking someone in the eye IS a look of trust.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,108,808 times
Quote:
I think Floyd's talking about Native culture; I know what he means.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 PM

I realist that. I worked for a native government for the past 7 years, or there abouts. Looking someone in the eye was a big thing, showing that you had interest and trust in the person you were with or talking to. They were Odawa Anishnabee, some of the best people I have ever known.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,505,133 times
Quote:
Why do you need to look them in the eye to judge them, if you trust them????

Continuously looking someone in the eye while talking to them is a very good indication that you don't trust them. The question then is if that distrust is an insult, or not. In many cultures, where everyone is individually responsible for themselves, it is assumed that virtually everyone is out to get the best of you, and that is part of the discussion. But in cultures where people are thought to be responsible for each other's well being, it is an insult to insinuate that the person you are talking to is trying in some way to get the best of you.

It fits right in with the affront that asking direct questions can be. It puts a person on the spot, forcing them to tell you they know something you don't. That is socially unacceptable in some cultures. It amounts to calling someone a braggard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska