U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,076,457 times

Advertisements

Respect For...is not judgment, it's giving your respect. Loosen up Floyd.

I just sold, yes, just, to the minute, as this thread moves, our truck to a native person from one of the villages on the Yukon, wish I could remember the name. Anyway, he looked me straight in the eye, as did I, while we were talking. He looked me in the eye as we met also. It's called giving your respect to the other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
OK. All Floyd was trying to say was that before white culture had much of an impact on the Native villages, some of them were different that way. He isn't talking about here and now; he even specified that in his post.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
Well let's keep it to the present time...since thats where most of us are.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK. All Floyd was trying to say was that before white culture had much of an impact on the Native villages, some of them were different that way. He isn't talking about here and now; he even specified that in his post.
Ok, I just went back and reread Floyd's first post. In the past that may have may have been true, but this is now, and times have changed. It may have been the whites that brought the eye contact in, but as far as I have ever heard, most native have always had eye contact as a form of respect.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Now that health problems are in the rear view mirror its looking like we will be moving to the Kenai Peninsula this summer. I have seen lotsa people say dont bring Cali. with you. You dont need to worry about the politics as thats a major reason we are leaving but what other attitudes are you refering to?
I know with my mother born and raised in Cali, when she moved to Utah the hardest thing for her was every one looking her in the eye! In Cali. thats subconscious aggresive behavior!
Thoughts?
omg that is why everybody has been getting angry with me since 1977.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,364,401 times
I find this whole argument about eye contact rather amusing and bemusing. I have Aspergers, a form of autism, and direct eye contact really freaks me out. I understand that many people expect at least some sort of eye contact during a conversation, so I make an effort (yes, it really is an effort) to hae full eye contact at least once while we're talking. But most of the time, I'm looking in their general direction, not directly at them. I try not to let my eyes wander too much, so they know I'm paying attention because I am looking at them (their mouth or ear maybe).

I've had the opportunity to interact with many people from many different cultures and have noticed that eye contact means very different things in all of them. Even in Caucasian/European-descent cultures you find variations - in some direct sustained eye contact is a show of respect, in others direct sustained eye contact is a show of aggression, in some my eye contact problem makes people think I'm lying, others don't even notice. It's terribly confusing for someone who already has problems understanding social rules... so I gave up and just do my thing so that I can actually, respectfully concentrate on what the person is saying, not waste my energy worrying about whether I'm making the "right" amount of eye contact.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,300,817 times
But what if you can't tell which eye to look into? One can have eyes like this... (.) ( .) or something like that. Or even ( .) (. ) or on occasions (. ) ( .) crab eyed.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,364,401 times
ROFL Warpt... I almost spit my coffee all over my keyboard!! I know what you mean though, some people have one eye looking at you and the other is looking for you... and you know that you're just going to make eye contact with their bad eye, not the good one! o_O

Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the chuckle Warpt!
You always seem to have the right timing.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,411,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Well let's keep it to the present time...since thats where most of us are.
Visit western Alaska and learn something about the present time, and do NOT assume that your culture is the "correct" one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or