U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,318,713 times

Advertisements

How about the Internet?

No offense meant. Few get to be Chefs but millions can get inspired. Cook better everyday and some maybe become proffesionals. The everyday joy - priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:56 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,174,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Judging by the responses , and thank you all again!, I think we will do fine too. We are FAR from being snobby and actually choose to live within our means rather then dive into debt to keep up with the Jones's. The wife hates makeup after 20plus years of wearing it and now that she is working from home and will there too, her idea of getting dressed for work is putting on an over the shoulder boulder holder.
Now the countdown begins and i "think" i have found the perfect house on the listings that i hope stays till i get there in a little more then 2 weeks! Granny is going to scout it for me ! Thanks again!!!! If it is as good as advertised i might have to pay her to stay in front of it and act like a lunatic neighbor to keep others away!
LOL...I can do that...:

Last edited by Grannysroost; 05-29-2009 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: Lunatic neighbor is good.. gotcha back... :)

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM

20,437 posts, read 26,568,031 times
I said seven years...I meant to say thirty.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:17 PM

6,423 posts, read 11,083,110 times
Wow, this food talk is making me hungry, and that dish sounds great Met.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,373,164 times
I have a pretty firm "manly" handshake, especially since I'm a "girl"; but that's because I grew up military and had to hold my own in the corporate world which tend to be full of testosterone-laden one-up-man handshakers. I dunno about you peeps... but I tend to adjust my handshake and eye contact based on what the other person is doing. I just think that's more respectful than trying to figure out ahead of time what they might be expecting... you will invariably get it wrong. I had an Asian businessman once comment that my adjusting my style was the most respectful thing he'd seen an American do. Just think about it... what is more respectful than noticing someone else's comfort and preferences? Even if you study up on someone's culture ahead of time, that doesn't guarantee that you'll do the right thing for them when the time comes.

Just be yourself, but be observant and willing to adjust as necessary. Yeah, and this is coming from someone with "broken" social interaction skills... if I can do it, so can you

Old 05-30-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I have a pretty firm "manly" handshake, especially since I'm a "girl"; but that's because I grew up military and had to hold my own in the corporate world which tend to be full of testosterone-laden one-up-man handshakers. I dunno about you peeps... but I tend to adjust my handshake and eye contact based on what the other person is doing. I just think that's more respectful than trying to figure out ahead of time what they might be expecting... you will invariably get it wrong. I had an Asian businessman once comment that my adjusting my style was the most respectful thing he'd seen an American do. Just think about it... what is more respectful than noticing someone else's comfort and preferences? Even if you study up on someone's culture ahead of time, that doesn't guarantee that you'll do the right thing for them when the time comes.

Just be yourself, but be observant and willing to adjust as necessary. Yeah, and this is coming from someone with "broken" social interaction skills... if I can do it, so can you
You are so right, follow suit with whom you have....body language, facial expressions, all go with the appropriate eye contact and handshake....you are amazing

Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,855,747 times
What is the proper protocol in Alaska for eye contact with this guy B.O.B.?

Photos of B.O.B.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
What is the proper protocol in Alaska for eye contact with this guy B.O.B.?

Photos of B.O.B.
We don't worry about him...go with what you are getting and a good bet you will be right on, but depends where in AK you are at!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or