U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 PM

6 posts, read 19,938 times

Advertisements

My hubby wants to move near Delta Juntion to ranch and farm, whats in Delta Juntion any way? Are there many home schooled kids? Entertainment? What is the weather in the winter and summer like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 09:50 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,634,626 times
There isn't much in the way of entertainment. About once a week, a local band may play in the local bar. Quite a few kids are home schooled in Alaska. Delta has about 3 restaurants, same amount of hotels, the Food Cache for the grocery. Wells Fargo has a branch there. Nice little library. Small branch of the University. Couple of mechanics shops. Ace hardware. Fairbanks about 2 hours away.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 AM

395 posts, read 1,126,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveak View Post
My hubby wants to move near Delta Juntion to ranch and farm, whats in Delta Juntion any way? Are there many home schooled kids? Entertainment? What is the weather in the winter and summer like?
Hey LOVE' Whatever happen to Juneau? I Thot U were serious about that place!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:49 AM

32 posts, read 128,445 times
Delta Junction!... NO WAY! It is the worst place on earth to raise a family as far as I am concerned! There is nothing for the kids to do around this town. The fact is if you don't have the resources to buy them a 4 wheeler or a snow machine they have nothing else but trouble to get into in this town.

I have seen it happen time after time with kids around here. They get board and turn to drugs or making meth.. that is a big one in this small town.
The Schools lack some to be desired all though if you like public schools go for it.
The town is not a Borough so this means there is no funding for the schools so that less fortunate kids wont be able to go on trips w/ their class due to costs.

We have been here for 5 years. I want nothing more then to move at this point. We have a large family.. maybe not as large as most have in this town.
With our family we do homeschool, and yes there are a lot of homeschoolers in this town. Yet again if you do not have them signed up with one of the "public school" homeschooling groups then your kids will lack the social gatherings that one needs growing up. There is church and that would be a help... but that is only on Sundays, so one day a week doesn't seem to be enough if you ask me. I think that there are some families that can tolerate this type of remote lifestyle,but if you aren't really really strong in your bonds as a family, then I am not certain that it will work out here for you. Even then I would be cautious. The closest hospital or shopping centers around are over 100 miles away one way. That makes for a really long trip if you have young children. I don't know about you , but I would think a lot about this before making a final decision. There are other locations in Alaska that you might want to think about looking at. Seriously I would not come here to raise your kids if I were you.
What Faith are you affiliated with if any?

Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,559,969 times
Hey Zapporah: good post/good info. What do ya'll do for a living there? If it's that bad there, there must be a good reason you are still there...high paying jobs maybe? Just wondering...

Bud

Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM

32 posts, read 128,445 times
Actually, the pay has helped,but with the type of work my husband does we wont have a problem getting the same pay if not better down in the states.

I think for some people it is the draw of better pay or a slope job..ect. I think that if they are ready for the drastic change it will bring in ones life then MORE power to them. Alaska is a wonderful place.. Don't get me wrong. I love Alaska.! I just cant stand Delta Junction. We are here because the job brought us to this town, but with this company we can transfer and so back down to the states it will be.
I think that there are so so many other places that one could choose from to raise their family up here if they really thought it through first. Never the less.. it is just my opinion on Delta Junction itself.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 19,938 times
Default Juneau?

Yes, Juneau is where we are seriously looking at, it's just that my hubby threw this curve ball in, the rest of family isn't really for it, we all have to dream I guess, right????

Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,634,626 times
My personal feelings only: It's a hard-scrabble life in the Interior. The winters are fierce. No other word. It's only for the hardiest, and those most comfortable with themselves, truly self-reliant folks. No others need apply.

I am not one of those folks. I have always claimed to be a lazy, citified kind of guy. I admire them, and have wondered about that life in the abstract. I would NOT want to fail at that, it might give me a more accurate picture of myself than I care to look at. (In my mind, I'm the hero of my own life movie.)

All that aside, those are the kind of folks who pioneered the North American continent. They left comfortable life behind and made a new nation.

To quote (or misquote) from "Cool Hand Luke", a man has to know his limitations. And I am pretty comfortable with mine. Walter Mitty daydreams of hero-dom aside. My kids like me and that's good enough for a daydreamer like me.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 PM

395 posts, read 1,126,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveak View Post
Be honest w/me, Love'. Have U &/or your husband ever farm before? Ranching and farming is a tough life and even tougher to eke out a living. U are hearing this from a old farmer before he got smart and decided aerospace pays a lot better. It is nothing like Eddie Albert and that Hungarian blonde in "Green Acres". Where I was, the growing season was much longer and in the good old days, family farms were much more prevalent. Now, in many areas, corporations have mostly taken over and they farm by the thousands of acres so they can afford high cost mechanized farming. Yes there are still family farms but they are in a specialized niche where it is still labor intensive. U are thinking of raising a large family and putting them to work??

Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,339 times
Hmmm. GREAT POST! Zapporah. I TOTALLY agree with you about the town of Delta Junction. I could shed some other light on that subject to pertaining to the moral issues found in that town as well. I wont go there though.. not yet anyway. I used to live there last year. I have sense left and site "Good Riddance" . There was nothing in that town to do other then to gossip or cheat around. The few stores they have are just that a few and to go to the Good stores you have to travel a little over 100 miles one way to get there. That would be the reason for being able to sell things for so MUCH $$$$ there in the town of Delta Junction Alaska. They know that you would have to pay the 30 or more denaros in gas to get to the better store so they figure why not jack up the price of stuff in that town to that much and make a profit.
The kids are either bored out of their skulls with NOTHING to do but to stare out their front window, or they are doing drugs because it is something to do.
That is sickening! Clicks in this town... the clicks are the gossipers and the ones that attempt to ruin another's life due to their own boredom or lack of excitement at home. I think it is a shame that the town had to turn the way it did. I lived there for more then long enough and couldn't be more proud then I am now for leaving. That would be my opinion on that town.
Now with that being said, I think Alaska ROCKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska