U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2010, 01:16 AM
 
Location: Fairbanks, AK
1,745 posts, read 2,275,035 times
Reputation: 1855

Advertisements

Nope, we don't have to put up with people who can't imagine a world different from theres. It's nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Valdez, Alaska
2,762 posts, read 4,200,335 times
Reputation: 2778
Alaska isn't an island, and therefore isn't isolated from the mainland. Maybe Alakasa is, I don't know. Apparently they only get two hours of either sunshine or night as well, which sounds very strange.

Last edited by tigre79; 10-13-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM
 
20,432 posts, read 26,564,266 times
Reputation: 13133
Alaska is isolated from the U.S. mainland, which is what the poster said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
6,992 posts, read 10,387,225 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Alaska isn't an island, and therefore isn't isolated from the mainland. Maybe Alakasa is, I don't know. Apparently they only get two hours of either sunshine or night as well, which sounds very strange.
SSSshhhhhhh.....geeeez crapweasel....don't go telling idjit's that don't know the difference....just like on the national weather..Alaska is an island off the coast of Californsiki....they can't drive to Alaska and it is desolate, isolated an we all live in igloos and eat walrus and whale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
 
20,432 posts, read 26,564,266 times
Reputation: 13133
Blue...one more time Alaska is isolated from the U.S. mainland, like the poster said. I think that the person you quoted perhaps wasn't utilizing the reading comprehension skills that she touted so highly in another thread Or maybe she doesn't know about Canada.

Every time I see a post like the one in question, it's my assumption that it's made by a child. And I don't mean any offense there at all; probably just some youngster working on a homework project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Valdez, Alaska
2,762 posts, read 4,200,335 times
Reputation: 2778
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
SSSshhhhhhh.....geeeez crapweasel....don't go telling idjit's that don't know the difference....just like on the national weather..Alaska is an island off the coast of Californsiki....they can't drive to Alaska and it is desolate, isolated an we all live in igloos and eat walrus and whale!
Lol. Yeah, I guess some people don't know what "mainland" means. Wikipedia gets it mostly right (Mainland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) but says that the continental US excludes Alaska, which isn't technically true since we're still on the same continent (and the same landmass, or mainland, which includes Canada, and which we're not at all isolated from). The contiguous US is what Alaska is not a part of. And I'm not so sure that's a bad thing, myself.

Last edited by tigre79; 10-13-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:13 PM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
6,992 posts, read 10,387,225 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Blue...one more time Alaska is isolated from the U.S. mainland, like the poster said. I think that the person you quoted perhaps wasn't utilizing the reading comprehension skills that she touted so highly in another thread Or maybe she doesn't know about Canada.

Every time I see a post like the one in question, it's my assumption that it's made by a child. And I don't mean any offense there at all; probably just some youngster working on a homework project.
ahhh we have different definitions of "isolated"! my definition is "not connected" and as it is not connected to an actual physical section of the US it is still connected by land thru Canada! I have never thought of Alaska as isolated....ahhh crap....forget I said that...I didn't mean it ....it is isolated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM
 
20,432 posts, read 26,564,266 times
Reputation: 13133
It's isolated from the mainland U.S. because we're "apart" from it. That's what isolated means. Apart, remote, away. Guess some people don't know what isolated means. Could be argued either way of course, but for discussion purposes it's clear enough what the poster meant.

Poor kid, coming here doing homework and getting snarked at...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:28 PM
 
20,432 posts, read 26,564,266 times
Reputation: 13133
Blue; see my rep comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: on top of a mountain
6,992 posts, read 10,387,225 times
Reputation: 3256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Blue; see my rep comments
did see it...probably get a N/A but so what....thanks for the rep points though!! hehehhe...idjits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top