U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 PM

164 posts, read 277,163 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking to move to Alaska within the next yr.; currently saving the money for the move and doing what research I can. I do not have the financial means to be able to visit first, though I can see the benefit of that it would set my move back. I am looking at the Kenai or Sterling areas mostly but have yet to set my mind. Does anyone have any helpful updated info or advice. I am a 29yr old single female, I will be driving there with what possessions I can fit in my truck and my 2 cats as my navigators; I want to rent a home I am just looking to have some adventure and try something I thought I would never have the nerve to do and hopefully have a happier more fulfilled life. As far as my skills in the job force, I can and am willing to learn anything, I have done a little bit of everything from farm hand to cook to cashier to currently being in Accounts Payable for 5 yrs now and would really like to do something a little more active but always have the knowledge to fall back on, This is really about me recreating me.
And before you comment.. yes I know its cold there.. yes I know it rains and snows.. hey.. try living in Kansas for 29 yrs., you would understand why I have always dreamed of Alaska...

Last edited by bajadrmin; 05-29-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:50 PM

6,307 posts, read 4,182,767 times
That area of the state is beautiful and you would probably enjoy yourself there. There is a lot to explore! Caribou Hills, The Keani Fjords, Homer, Seward, Moose Pass, Ninilchick (Razor Clams) Placer and Twenty Mile rivers, Whittier with access to the sound. There is nothing like walking out onto the sand at sunrise, looking across the inlet at Mount Redoubt and digging razor clams!

You didn't say what skills you had to make a living so that should be a factor in where you want to land if you make it up here. It is expensive to live here but worth every penny. If you are an outdoors type person will not find a better place to live than Alaska period.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,601 times
BaJadrmin,

For the same reasons , I too, am coming to Alaska, with really nothing but myself and a few personals , I don't know anyone there, but it's been in my spirit for a while now, to go to Alaska and within a fews weeks I will be flying there. I stayed in Maine for two years, and loved it, lots of snow and cold , but it was a dry cold which was not so bad , too me !!! I am getting the feeling Alaskas weather and Maines are some what the same. In any case , I just have the feeling that everything is going to work out just fine. God will be with us.[ warm smiles ]

Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,504,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulbalm View Post
BaJadrmin,

For the same reasons , I too, am coming to Alaska, with really nothing but myself and a few personals , I don't know anyone there, but it's been in my spirit for a while now, to go to Alaska and within a fews weeks I will be flying there. I stayed in Maine for two years, and loved it, lots of snow and cold , but it was a dry cold which was not so bad , too me !!! I am getting the feeling Alaskas weather and Maines are some what the same. In any case , I just have the feeling that everything is going to work out just fine. God will be with us.[ warm smiles ]

I would say everything will be fine as long as you either have a job lined up or you have enough funds to carry you over for a minimum of 8 months plus funds to leave if it doesn't work out. Not trying to discourage you just giving you advice so you don't end up homeless in Alaska. Best of luck in your move.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 AM

27 posts, read 74,922 times
Just some other food for thought. If you are riding the ferry up from Washington you won't have to worry but if you plan on driving through Canada you may want to go to their customs site and read up on all of their rules and regulations. Cat's have to have papers and shot records, firearms cost $25. each and no pistols, etc....Things aren't like the good ol' days for traveling in and out of Alaska.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:30 PM

43 posts, read 84,183 times
So the wife, kids and I are planning to come up next year. We're packing what essentials we can in the back of our truck and driving up. No pets, no guns. We're both office and computer-related in our work preferences and the plan is to settle in either Fairbanks or Anchorage. We lived in both for 10 years each and have now lived miserably in the lower 48 for the past 10. I know it's not much, but we're thinking $8-10,000 is what we'll head up with, the grand plan being that we'll both get to work as soon as we're settled. Of course, we will be trying to secure something BEFORE we get there, but I understand the thin line of realism that has of happening. Still, any advice or two cents would certainly be welcome! We just want to give our boys a better life than what they have here and we miss it up there terribly!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,277,317 times
Get registered with the Alaska Job Bank as soon as possible. They can be a great resource.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:16 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,050,051 times
Don't take this the wrong way, but how can you possibly want to move somewhere you've never been to?

Are you basing this on something you've seen on TV or read in a book? Or is it more based on your fantasy of what it will be like?

Just curious.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:20 PM

4,058 posts, read 8,584,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but how can you possibly want to move somewhere you've never been to?

Are you basing this on something you've seen on TV or read in a book? Or is it more based on your fantasy of what it will be like?

Just curious.

This thread was re-started yesterday by someone who has lived in Alaska. That's the problem with resurrecting old threads with a new situation. It gets confusing for the reader.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 PM

407 posts, read 625,281 times
HOW people live in Alakasa a state that is isolated from US mainland and they get only 2 hours of sunshine or night lol ? life there must be miserable lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or