U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 PM

153 posts, read 400,424 times

Advertisements

Hullo again all,

My husband wishes to bring his Mossberg 8-round shotgun with us on the trip. We have the border paperwork printed out, and the description of his shotgun falls within the stated specs for permitted firearms, but he wants to make certain that it will be allowed before we put it in the truck.

Has anyone got any experience with something similar?

I know that we can call one of the numbers on the Canada site, but having a frame of reference from someone who's crossed with a firearm recently would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Shan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:54 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,319,499 times
Taking Guns to Canada? Beware!

Carrying Firearms and Weapons into Canada (http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/weapons_into_canada.asp - broken link)

Guns through Canada - The Alaska hunting forum

A Practical Guide to Canada's Gun Laws for Americans (http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/ - broken link)

Old 05-29-2009, 10:55 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,319,499 times
Firearm Users Visiting Canada

Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,949,658 times
it is easier to just ship to a gun dealer in Alaska and pick it up here. If I recall correctly, an eight shot shotgun isn't allowed as well as any autoloader, has to be a pump or bolt action. Been awhile, but that seems to come to mind.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,173,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoatflan View Post
Hullo again all,

My husband wishes to bring his Mossberg 8-round shotgun with us on the trip. We have the border paperwork printed out, and the description of his shotgun falls within the stated specs for permitted firearms, but he wants to make certain that it will be allowed before we put it in the truck.

Has anyone got any experience with something similar?

I know that we can call one of the numbers on the Canada site, but having a frame of reference from someone who's crossed with a firearm recently would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Shan
We did a couple years ago...do not keep ammo with the gun...not sure where it 's okay...not sure if we brought any with because of the shotguns....I will leave that to another...just don't put them together...

Old 05-30-2009, 10:47 AM

16,455 posts, read 21,482,977 times
If you only have one gun, just mail it to yourself. It's really only worth the hassle with Canada if you have a lot of guns (which are classified as non-restricted in Canada) to take up, then shipping gets really expensive...when I finally get up there I'll take all my guns through Canada except my handguns and my SKS.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM

4,986 posts, read 8,288,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoatflan View Post
That's the problem, there is no way to be 100% certain that you will be allowed in. Yes, you are correct that your firearm meets all of the criteria and there should be no reason for any problems. However, if you call those numbers and talk to a real person, you'll find out that the ultimate decision to allow the weapon through rests with the actual agent you deal with at the checkpoint. If he/she happens to be in a particularly foul mood that day, or doesn't like your style of hair or the color of your vehicle, or whatever, they have the power to deny you entry. Then you are kind of stuck.

Now, I know plenty of people who have crossed with a shotgun with no problems. But the possibility always exists. Worts case, if you meet up with a grumpy border agent would probably be to just drive to a different crosing and try again. The odds of meeting two on the same day would be unlikely.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM

153 posts, read 400,424 times
After reading through all the links (some again) I am assured that this shotgun is one of the permitted weapons.. but I hate to rely on the obscure mood of some border agent.

I also hate to be in the middle of nowhere without something protective, and apparently mace isn't allowed (wth.. I can bring a gun but not mace?).

We do have a little arsenal that we are shipping, but we wanted the shotgun with us as we intend to do some remote-ish camping along the way up and would like something in case of deranged humans or if a curious animal gets all butthurt with us... or if we accidently hit something and it's still alive but laying there all broken and tortured. (All scenarios I've dealt with in the past. In Canada too.. but that was before all this Super-Security stuff)

Shan

Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,482,977 times
Canada doesn't like people to defend themselves against people. And you'd probably need to keep it locked up the whole way. You can technically carry a long gun for defense against wildlife in remote areas but it can be a bit confusing since some places don't allow it, it can be a patchwork quilt, and, many of the popular camping spots don't allow it.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,372,339 times
Browncoatflan -- I just talked to the Canadian officials about our Remington 8-shot pump shotguns... they are NOT allowed, as they are considered "high capacity" magazines. They might give you another answer if you call, seems the officials never agree, but better to be safe than sorry when heading to the border.

You may legally mail (USPS) your own long-guns to yourself care-of wherever you'll be staying on your trip. This saves you the extra firearms transfer expense of sending it dealer to dealer. However, if you want to ensure safe storage or exact delivery date, using UPS/FedEx and the dealer transfer may work better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or