U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 02:02 PM

374 posts, read 979,379 times

Advertisements

HollandOH- A while back I had posted a bunch of pictures in Nome. We just left a week ago after three years. Things we liked: The ocean is wonderful when it isn't frozen (June through December); The fishing is great, and berry picking is phenomenal. Things we didn't like: the social problems, the alcohol and homeless problems, the lack of entertainment that doesn't involve bars, the lack of trees, the cost of flying out to visit family, go to the doctor, etc, the cost of living (rent, food, utilities, etc).

If you decide to go, plan on buying a four-wheeler. It is super fun to get around and go up the beach. Be prepared for expensive rent and utilities, as well as food. Also plan on buying everything on sale and sometimes not being able to buy what you want. The people are nice, you will make friends and find people to be friendly. It is an old mining town, which also means some riff-raff and people that are only out for themselves, but that is probably the same anywhere. Culturally, you will pick up on things quickly. When I first went to a village years ago, they laughed at me often because I talked to much, too fast, and always said goodbye- even though I would see them tomorrow! It is a good experience and I am very glad we lived there, but don't go thinking you will make a ton of money and then leave- it doesn't work like that. The amount you spend just on living negates what you might make. If you have specific questions, you can PM me. I will try to help out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,250 times
Default I need Help......

I may have a job opportunity in Nome.....I know it's cold, and that it could be expenseive (ie $9.50 for 6 pack of soda)......but, can anybody there give me some idea as to what rent, utilities, food costs are?......I have found some information about the city but not much else......I need this info in order to make a better informed decision........thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
HollandOH- A while back I had posted a bunch

of pictures in Nome. We just left a week ago after three years. Things we liked: The ocean is wonderful when it isn't frozen (June through December); The fishing is great, and berry picking is phenomenal. Things we didn't like: the social problems, the alcohol and homeless problems, the lack of entertainment that doesn't involve bars, the lack of trees, the cost of flying out to visit family, go to the doctor, etc, the cost of living (rent, food, utilities, etc).

If you decide to go, plan on buying a four-wheeler. It is super fun to get around and go up the beach. Be prepared for expensive rent and utilities, as well as food. Also plan on buying everything on sale and sometimes not being able to buy what you want. The people are nice, you will make friends and find people to be friendly. It is an old mining town, which also means some riff-raff and people that are only out for themselves, but that is probably the same anywhere. Culturally, you will pick up on things quickly. When I first went to a village years ago, they laughed at me often because I talked to much, too fast, and always said goodbye- even though I would see them tomorrow! It is a good experience and I am very glad we lived there, but don't go thinking you will make a ton of money and then leave- it doesn't work like that. The amount you spend just on living negates what you might make. If you have specific questions, you can PM me. I will try to help out.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 AM

6,904 posts, read 11,690,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mets1973 View Post
I may have a job opportunity in Nome.....I know it's cold, and that it could be expenseive (ie $9.50 for 6 pack of soda)......but, can anybody there give me some idea as to what rent, utilities, food costs are?......I have found some information about the city but not much else......I need this info in order to make a better informed decision........thanks in advance
Nome Chamber of Commerce

Nome Alaska Visitor's Center

The Nome Nugget - Alaska's Oldest Newspaper

You'll have to make some phone calls to find this info out. Your not gonna find it posted on the internet.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:18 PM

61 posts, read 100,571 times
Is the job with the school district in Nome? While they do not pay for teacher housing there is an apartment complex that is out by the Nome Beltz school that is typically saved for teachers. I can get you the info for the lady that owns it if you want. I don't live in Nome, but I live in Unalakleet and have been to Nome quite a bit. For average food prices check out

AC

The AC store is one of the 3 large grocery stores in Nome. There is also Hanson's (carrs/safeway store) and Nome Trading Company. There are also several restaraunts up there that we all frequent when we goto Nome from the villages.

Nome, Alaska, Pizza, Menu, Free Delivery, Wireless, Apparel, Wear, Customer Reviews

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,865 times
Hey Megan, I am interested knowing more about Nome, AK
Can you please contact me at ruchpatel24@yahoo.com
I am Pharmacist.

Thank you

Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
Default moving to Nome

Hi. I will be moving to Nome in July for work at Norton Sound . Can you tell me anything about rental properties there ? Thank you .

Old 05-30-2015, 01:33 PM

16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debsmitb View Post
Hi. I will be moving to Nome in July for work at Norton Sound . Can you tell me anything about rental properties there ? Thank you .
Look at the links posted above. Rent will be very expensive.
----------------

Just reminds me of the movies I have watched where the punishment for a bad deed is being exiled to Nome

Sorry, I could not resists. La culpa es mia.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:31 PM

6,904 posts, read 11,690,350 times
Quote:
You need to call Norton Sound and ask them for some help finding a rental or temp housing. The rental market is so tight in Nome during the summer its almost impossible to find something without being there in person.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,168,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandOH View Post
I will possibly be moving to nome alaska very soon if specific job falls in to place for my other half. Other then the obvious culture shock and cold what i should i be expecting? I've been trying to do some research so i would know a little more about the area before we get there but i cant find much on this specific area. I know its rather small, on the bering sea and that theres no road access, i know the general population and stats that i could find online but no real information on what it is like or the culture in the are. I would appreciate any help as to what to expect...
Nome is actually fairly large...

Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,168,616 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You need to call Norton Sound and ask them for some help finding a rental or temp housing. The rental market is so tight in Nome during the summer its almost impossible to find something without being there in person.
Good advise from stiffnecked. I have a friend moving up to teach there this upcoming year and he had a very hard time finding a place. He eventually did find by word of mouth.

Ask your employer for help. Most employers in the villages will help with locating something for rent. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska