U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 33,734 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking here for about a year finding out as much as possible about moving to Alaska. Ideally, I'd live in the middle of nowhere, but I work full-time online. Therefore, I need a place with reliable high-speed internet, a mountain view, and as secluded/private as possible. I know it will be hard to find a balance between seclusion/privacy and high-speed internet, so does anyone have any town suggestions?

From searching the real estate ads, it looks like Homer may be a good possibility because it seems to have houses with views in my price range. I've been reading some conflicting things about the reliability of high-speed internet in Homer, so what is it really like?

Is the internet issue really depending on the house I get (not really depending on the town)? How do I find out about an individual house's internet capabilities? It's my job, after all, so reliable high-speed access is a deal breaker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:23 PM

243 posts, read 411,038 times
I have been struggling with this too. What i have found so far is that Homer/Anchor Point area is really hit or miss with a lot more misses. Cable modem is available in some areas of Homer through GCI but it only has about 250 upload speed wich was way to slow for me.
ACS provides DSL service and is very helpfull at checking individual addresses to see if it is available. Again some of the houses that are a yes for DSL the upload speed is barely tolerable. Others get up to 500 upload 1k download.
We kind of gave up on the Homer area because of this and are focused more on the Soldotna/ Sterling area.
I havent really looked closely but from what i have heard Seward is pretty easy to get hooked up and has the views you are looking for.
Get a list of possible homes and call ACS. They will tell you yes or no on each house. Pay attention to wether they say 1K or basic.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:24 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,944,970 times
You can get Hugesnet satellite high speed internet there. Alaska Satellite Internet is the Dealer that installes them in Alaska. As long as you can see better than 15 degrees above the horizon, and the sun at about 11 AM you won't have any issues.

You can contact them at (907)451-0088.

If you are on the phone system there, you can get the local internet systems but don't know about farther out of town.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times
Satellite in our area is hard, even for the tele...we have ours on a pole on the ground looking yonder... I work at home, depending on what you want to do makes a difference...I have cheap package from ACS just out of Soldotna, but am constantly downloading voice files, uploading text with the voice...what I have works, not as fast as -48, but does the job and works and I can pretty well maintain a good pace. If doing video or something similar, I would question or have patience, which is a virtue...click...go look out window, come back, click..etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska