U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 13,540 times

Advertisements

Hey, I currently live in NY, and im bored of it. Its the same thing day in day out. Im looking for something new. I am an avid hunter and fisher and I just want to get away from everyone.Im going to be driving here(I know its a long ways but..) with just me and my dog. No one else. I was thinking of moving to Alaska because its so isolated compared to NY. I was thinking about moving to either Fairbanks or Cooper Landing. Ive done some research and they both seem nice to me. Im just looking for a place with nice people where I can hunt, fish and enjoy the country without being bothered.

One question I have is that if I have my hunting license for NY, would I have to retake the test if I move to Alaska?
Also I know that it is kind of hard to bring weapons over to Alaska because of Canada but would I be able to bring a hunting bow over with little trouble?

Now I'm not going to be leaving for quite a while. I still have a few years. I know a lot of my friends say that Alaska's freezing all year round, but it gets pretty warm in the summer doesn't it? Either way im fine with it. Cold or hot I'll still love it. If anyone has any additional information about either Fairbanks or Cooper Landing I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 03:39 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,471,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
Hey, I currently live in NY, and im bored of it. Its the same thing day in day out. Im looking for something new. I am an avid hunter and fisher and I just want to get away from everyone.Im going to be driving here(I know its a long ways but..) with just me and my dog. No one else. I was thinking of moving to Alaska because its so isolated compared to NY. I was thinking about moving to either Fairbanks or Cooper Landing. Ive done some research and they both seem nice to me. Im just looking for a place with nice people where I can hunt, fish and enjoy the country without being bothered.

One question I have is that if I have my hunting license for NY, would I have to retake the test if I move to Alaska?
Also I know that it is kind of hard to bring weapons over to Alaska because of Canada but would I be able to bring a hunting bow over with little trouble?

Now I'm not going to be leaving for quite a while. I still have a few years. I know a lot of my friends say that Alaska's freezing all year round, but it gets pretty warm in the summer doesn't it? Either way im fine with it. Cold or hot I'll still love it. If anyone has any additional information about either Fairbanks or Cooper Landing I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
You can do anything as long as you bring enough money with you to pay for rent, food, and other expenses for at least six months until you get a job, or maybe two jobs since most places only hire part-time. Everything will cost a lot more up here than in NY.

You don't need to take a class to buy a hunting license here (such classes are optional), but if you took a hunting or safety class in NY and you bring the card or certificate with you, Alaska will honor it. Unless you are a resident, a hunting/fishing/trapping license will be expensive, however. But you will need to take a bow-hunting class, I believe.

In relation to firearms, bows, etc., you can buy then in here. There are numerous guns and archery shops around Fairbanks. You can also order bows and such from Cabela's if you want.

Finally, if you are bored of NY, you will get bored in Alaska, specially during the winter months when is dark and cold. Have you lived or traveled to Northern NY and Vermont? Take a look at the different towns along Highway 87 past Schenectady (during the Fall): Lake Placid and a bunch of little towns along Route 9 and 87, Plattsburgh, Peru, Saranac, etc. Drive from Plattsburgh to Vermont (don't take the ferry across Lake Champlain). Just drive along the Northern edge of Lake Champlain, all the way to Burlington.

If you fell bored of NY after spending some time in the Northernmost areas of the State, then you will certainly be bored to death in Alaska.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:40 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,954,033 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Well make sure you can afford not to be working for awhile, jobs are getting scarce like most places...

Hunt test? That is a tough one, most people from the "Outside" flunk it the first time they take it. There is a lot of trick questions on it that you have to think about... Stupid Questions to see how you think in the wilderness, kind of like "If you have two coins that equal thirty cents, and one is not a nickel, what are they?"

But if you really think about the questions, you will do just fine... Oh, and the other coin is a nickel, the one that wasn't, was a quarter...

The one where they ask what the direction do Snow Snakes migrate under the snow in early spring, the answer is "Down", they go down to the frostline for the summer. It is a trick question because they try to get you to think they migrate like birds and stuff North and South.

Oh, and for first aid when you get bit by one is to apply luke warm water, they have really fine teeth and will give a nasty rash of "Frost bite" from their venom, the warm water nutralizes it.

Fur Fish have no open season, but they are mostly North of the Brooks Range and that is frozen year round and you need major drilling equipment to get though the ice anyway. That was how they found the oil up North, there was a bunch of rich guys that went to the touble of fur fishing and hauled the gear up there to punch a hole though the ice and got oil instead.

Anyway, there is a lot more questions that I can fill you in on later, but maybe some others will fill them in for you.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:57 PM

Well I already have my hunting license for NY and I wasn't sure if I could just like renew it if I did move to Alaska or if I would have to take the whole test again.

And I live on Long Island but I have a house in upstate NY. It just seems that Alaska is much different then NY. It looks like its got much better hunting and fishing areas than NY too. But that could be false. Again I still have a few years till im moving out so im not deffinate on Alaska yet but it seemed like a nice place to live.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:34 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,471,349 times
Quote:
Well I already have my hunting license for NY and I wasn't sure if I could just like renew it if I did move to Alaska or if I would have to take the whole test again.

And I live on Long Island but I have a house in upstate NY. It just seems that Alaska is much different then NY. It looks like its got much better hunting and fishing areas than NY too. But that could be false. Again I still have a few years till im moving out so im not deffinate on Alaska yet but it seemed like a nice place to live.
Alaska does have a lot more hunting areas, and big game game species than NY. However, unlike NY there aren't roads to perhaps the best hunting areas. It means that you you have to fly-in on a small airplane (very expensive), park the truck by the side of the road and ride an ATV in, or ride a boat to a place where you can hunt. there are plenty of opportunities to hunt deer in Northern NY, and maybe moose around Vermont.

Now, you can bow-hunt moose within the city limits once you have passed the training class and gotten a permit.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM

6,992 posts, read 10,390,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Well make sure you can afford not to be working for awhile, jobs are getting scarce like most places...

Hunt test? That is a tough one, most people from the "Outside" flunk it the first time they take it. There is a lot of trick questions on it that you have to think about... Stupid Questions to see how you think in the wilderness, kind of like "If you have two coins that equal thirty cents, and one is not a nickel, what are they?"

But if you really think about the questions, you will do just fine... Oh, and the other coin is a nickel, the one that wasn't, was a quarter...

The one where they ask what the direction do Snow Snakes migrate under the snow in early spring, the answer is "Down", they go down to the frostline for the summer. It is a trick question because they try to get you to think they migrate like birds and stuff North and South.

Oh, and for first aid when you get bit by one is to apply luke warm water, they have really fine teeth and will give a nasty rash of "Frost bite" from their venom, the warm water nutralizes it.

Fur Fish have no open season, but they are mostly North of the Brooks Range and that is frozen year round and you need major drilling equipment to get though the ice anyway. That was how they found the oil up North, there was a bunch of rich guys that went to the touble of fur fishing and hauled the gear up there to punch a hole though the ice and got oil instead.

Anyway, there is a lot more questions that I can fill you in on later, but maybe some others will fill them in for you.

you are soooo bad!!!! naughty naughty!!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:

What you want to do before you decide to pull anchor and head up to Alaska is to come visit first, summers are great, winters are brutal. The lack of sunlight is really hard on some people in the cold dead of winter, not to mention that they are long too.

People come here because they saw some TV "Not very reality" show and figure they can handle it. If you live in the bigger towns, it is easy, if you live farther out, it is a bit more of a challenge to some, normal to others and a visit to "Hell" for even more.

It amazes me that people see the "Deadliest Catch" and figure that they can come to Alaska and be a "Crabber" when they don't even know how to tie a square knot and expect to be some kind of sailor on a ship, when they can't tell you the name of the Pointy end (Bow) from the flat end (Stern).

Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM

Well, I may do just that. Take a trip to Fairbanks or Cooper Landing and see how its like. And I'm not interested in Alaska because of some stupid T.V. shows. Ive head that it's great for hunting and fishing and a good place to live. And it seems to be very different from N.Y. ive seen many pictures of Alaska and I have to say that the landscape is absolutly beautiful. I think it would be a great change from N.Y. scenery.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 9,902,563 times
I piloted craft for the Navy in Spec War for 8 years and never wanted to see another boat. 99% of the time, it was the sheer boredom part and the other 1%, I was either terrified or worried about the time coming.

Crabbing seems to me to be flipped around. 99% terror and 1% boredom. My boss is an old crab fisherman. His wrists and knees are shot. He was on 1 boat that sank, went overboard once, and made and lost bundles. He's a funny guy, but everything bad that happens to someone else is funny in the remove of time. I don't think I would ever survive some of the stuff he did. I would swear that it's all BS, except for the fact that other crabbers come by and see him from time to time.

As far as coming to Alaska for the hunting and fishing are concerned, it might be a reason, and even a valid reason. But, after summer and fall are over, you'll need other, better reasons. Winter is coming and that cuts hunting and fishing down. Foshing is limited to ice fishing, and all the hunters I know of turn to trapping in winter. More efficient ways of scoring meat than hunting. Jobs are tough to come by. You haven't addressed what your other skills are. Are they useful here? Construction and some engineering jobs are holding, but are not gaining at all. Other engineering jobs have been lost due to the credit crunch and a lack of funds to start new jobs.

Most jobs here is tied to construction or the energy industry. Oilfield jobs depend on experience and who you know. Jobs do become available, but are snapped up almost immediately.

Last edited by JavaPhil; 05-31-2009 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Well, I may do just that. Take a trip to Fairbanks or Cooper Landing and see how its like. And I'm not interested in Alaska because of some stupid T.V. shows. Ive head that it's great for hunting and fishing and a good place to live. And it seems to be very different from N.Y. ive seen many pictures of Alaska and I have to say that the landscape is absolutly beautiful. I think it would be a great change from N.Y. scenery.
Some people come here and get off the plane and love the place, others can't seem to leave fast enough...

We have large boxes of Mosquitos that we cut loose to make them think we are overrun by them, when in fact they are all imported to Alaska...

But before you do decide to move here, visiting is a much cheaper way to find out if you like it or don't.

Personally, I can't think of any other place I would want to live having been in lots of other places all over the U.S. and the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or