U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 AM

8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times

Advertisements

[quote=Metlakatla;9093299]We've been onto Nephler and his aptenodytes forsteri la cosa nostra for a number of years now. We have a couple of squealers headed straight for the witness protection program once they've commenced finking out their capo.

Do you recall the penguin who ended up on the fishing vessel of POW several years ago? That was one of Nephler's thugs in an escape attempt gone bad. This was when it was first brought to our attention.[/quote/]

I remember, you said prince saw that guy I think...I have the surveillance out detecting incoming, but then I think Guido likes me, but just in case....He has nasty flippin teeth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 AM

20,424 posts, read 26,550,284 times
[quote=Grannysroost;9093310]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
We've been onto Nephler and his aptenodytes forsteri la cosa nostra for a number of years now. We have a couple of squealers headed straight for the witness protection program once they've commenced finking out their capo.

Do you recall the penguin who ended up on the fishing vessel of POW several years ago? That was one of Nephler's thugs in an escape attempt gone bad. This was when it was first brought to our attention.[/quote/]

I remember, you said prince saw that guy I think...I have the surveillance out detecting incoming, but then I think Guido likes me, but just in case....He has nasty flippin teeth...
Guido is our major candidate for the finky relocation program. He's asked for a nice little suite somewhere in Antarctica in return for his services and we are only too happy to oblige him.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:21 AM

Granny, as we type, Guido is encounced in a safe house where Nephler's thugs won't be able to exact revenge.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 AM

46 posts, read 140,331 times
Default Ice worms

Those we do have! THey live on the glaciers off of algae that gets blown onto the ice. Most amazing thing I have ever seen! I saw them at Byron (?) glacier while ice climbing and exploring some ice caves there. There were quite a few of them.

Seriously, if you dont like cold, Alaska is not for you. Maybe the southeast, but then you will get lots of rain and cloudy days.

I grew up in Anchorage and loved it. But I found the LONG cold dark winter to be difficult. I tried to make the best of it...ice climbing, winter mountaineering, x-country and downhill skiing...but regardless winter seems unrelentless and can get you down. When we got cheated with a bad summer, I would get so mad! By mid-August, it's cooling off again and you start to notice the daylight changing and the fireweed losing flowers. By Sept., its definitely getting colder (but the short fall is beautiful). Oct.-you watch the snow on the mountains creep closer and know it is only a matter of time. Mid-Oct. through March is winter - and I mean lots of snow! Also, less daylight and many bitter cold days. April is "breakup" - tons of snow melting in the city - mud puddles everywhere, entire parts of roads sometimes under water. I remember trying to run on the roads (as it was still knee deep snow on the trails - the kind that is icy at night, impossible to walk on during the day) and coming home EVERY day covered in mud from the cars splashing me. It was so bad that I would inevitably get mud in my mouth. May is breezy and cools (we used to fly kites on the park strip) and the grass is yellow to brown from the months of snowcover. The grassy ground is also very wet and your feet sink into the mess when you walk on it. June and July are beautiful (if it's a good summer) and there is no better place to be. Anyway, these are my experiences on Anchorage only, and that off of memory. I live down South now.

Last edited by rockybird; 06-02-2009 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: .

Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Granny, as we type, Guido is encounced in a safe house where Nephler's thugs won't be able to exact revenge.
OMG...ROFLMAO...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:28 AM

Due to the gravity of Nephler's activities, I made a thread concerning them so as to not hi-jack the OP. I suggest that we all give the situation our full attention.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:29 AM

Nephler, we are onto you

Old 06-02-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Due to the gravity of Nephler's activities, I made a thread concerning them so as to not hi-jack the OP. I suggest that we all give the situation our full attention.
My attention might come tomorrow....time for bed for me...In the meantime..Neph might come back to life...or Guido bit him in the ...New Horizons will help...

Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 AM

38 posts, read 131,610 times
I am originally from ND and Ak has nothing on them with the cold winters. I have lived in Anchorage for 30 years and it is nice compared to ND. Have been to Barrow durning the winter and they don't have the wind that ND has so it's easy to adjust to. Thanks.........

Old 06-02-2009, 05:45 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,413,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiechicken View Post
I am originally from ND and Ak has nothing on them with the cold winters. I have lived in Anchorage for 30 years and it is nice compared to ND. Have been to Barrow durning the winter and they don't have the wind that ND has so it's easy to adjust to. Thanks.........
I've never been to North Dakota. But frankly, one visit to Barrow on a calm day in January is hardly the way to determine which is "colder" than the other. But if you look up average climate characteristics, they aren't even close.

As for wind, only Fargo (which is significantly windier than Bismarck, Grand Forks, Minot or Dickinson) is similar to Barrow. I looked up data (City-Data has useful info on most US locations) for each location and compared it to Barrow. Fargo and Barrow both have about 2 months of the year when winds are greater than 13 mph; Fargo has about 7 months at above 12 mph while Barrow has 6; and Fargo dips below 11 mph for a whole month while Barrow never averages below 11 mph in any month. Pretty much the same overall (Fargo is windier in spring and Barrow is windier in the Fall).

But there is a huge difference in average temperatures. In July Fargo ND averages 71 degrees, and in January they average 6 degrees. Those are the extremes for the daily average. Fargo is above 30 degrees for 7-1/2 months of the year.

Barrow is colder than -10F average for almost four months of the year! The July average in Barrow is about 39 degrees. Barrow's average daily temperature is above 30 degrees for almost 4 months of the year.

I don't know the number for Fargo (it would be large) but if memory serves me, Barrow usually only has about 60 some days a year when the temperature does not get down to freezing.

To put it mildly, Barrow is hugely colder than Fargo North Dakota. A quick check on Bismarck shows that it is warmer and has less wind than Fargo. Same with Grand Forks, Minot, and Dickinson.

Note that Barrow is a Maritime Arctic climate at latitude 71 degrees. It is in the extreme north, but is moderated by ocean on three sides.

North Dakota is below latitude 49 degrees, but is a Continental climate several hundred miles and over multiple mountain ranges from an ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or