Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:19 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times

Advertisements

Save some money, drive here in the spring. Spend at least one month looking around for a job in several locations and then settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Kenai, Soldotna, and Sterling are close enough together where you get people living in one community working in one of the other two communities. Palmer and Kenai are about the same size in population, right around 7,000. However, your prospects for employment increase significantly when you factor in Anchorage's proximity to Palmer.

It may take more looking, but I believe you can find what you are looking for in Kenai, Soldotna, or Sterling. If you still don't have a job lined up before you move to Alaska, then I would recommend Palmer only because there are more job opportunities if you are willing to commute 1.5 hours round-trip every day.

It is quite a radical change from Kansas. Not so much as far as the weather is concerned. The Kenai Peninsula and the southern Matanuska-Susitna Valley areas are about the same temperature in the winter as Omaha, NE, but with more snow usually. So either in Kenai, Sterling, or Palmer, your winter in Alaska will only be slightly colder than what you are used to in Kansas.

The biggest change for you will be the mountains, forests, large wildlife, and the axial tilt which causes long summer days and long winter nights. Nothing insurmountable, but a big change nonetheless.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM

164 posts, read 328,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Save some money, drive here in the spring. Spend at least one month looking around for a job in several locations and then settle down.
I hope I do not sound naive by asking but it is something I need to know to finalize any plans... When you say "Spring" what does that mean to you all up there... here it means March... and that would be perfect timing for me.. march couldn't get here soon enough... but considering I will have to drive through the Northern US, Canada and most of Alaska I am needing to know I can get there with out loosing my life on the highway. I am wanting to get there as early in the yr as weather will allow cuz it sounds like I will have to find a place to rent before the tourist arrive and also might help to get a seasonal job to get me started up there..

Old 06-02-2009, 03:16 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
I hope I do not sound naive by asking but it is something I need to know to finalize any plans... When you say "Spring" what does that mean to you all up there... here it means March... and that would be perfect timing for me.. march couldn't get here soon enough... but considering I will have to drive through the Northern US, Canada and most of Alaska I am needing to know I can get there with out loosing my life on the highway. I am wanting to get there as early in the yr as weather will allow cuz it sounds like I will have to find a place to rent before the tourist arrive and also might help to get a seasonal job to get me started up there..
In March there will still be a lot of snow. But by the end of March we will have more daylight than anyone south of us. It's a great time to be in Alaska. But really, spring is here with no snow around the first of May or so. That would be a great time to arrive.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I agree with Marty, the beginning of May would be the best time to arrive in Alaska. There still may be some snow on the ground, but it is fading fast at that point. Temperatures will still drop below freezing at night, but it will warm up to the mid-40°F by mid-day.

The mosquitoes start coming out in mid-April, even though there is still snow on the ground. That is what I use to mark "Spring in Alaska."

Last edited by Glitch; 06-02-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 03:33 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Saw some gnats today, first time I've seen them before the mosquitoes!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
There are the mosquitoes (mutants maybe?) that are out early, but don't bite. Now after a few days with rain here, the 'biters' are out for sure...

Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Quote:
I am 29, and thanks for the advice, I had been thinking of going the "seasonal" route since it will be the right time frame, though I know AK is where I want to live for sure, I just don't want to live in a large city like Anchorage, I want a small town and good people to surround my life without the stress of the city, but willing to drive for work. Thanks for your comments! I have been reading all the threads that are on here and have gotten a lot of insight and everyone seems really nice and greatful to live in such a beautiful part of the country, can't wait till I can wake up in the morning and see it with my own eyes every day...
I think you will find a lot of compatition for the seasonal jobs in the smaller towns. Futhermore there is a good chance what these jobs pay will not cover all of your expenses. Unless you have a decent bankroll be prepared to be willing to work whatever over time is available or possibly work 2 jobs. However, many people that work at these seasonal jobs seem to go out of their way to do as little as possible. Thus if you show even the slightest hint of motivation, opportunities to advance will appear.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
There are the mosquitoes (mutants maybe?) that are out early, but don't bite. Now after a few days with rain here, the 'biters' are out for sure...
The Alaskan Snow Mosquito spends the winter as an adult under dead leaves and in dead trees. They are sluggish when they emerge, and primarily interested in laying eggs, so they are not too eager to bite.

"Snow Mosquitoes" the First Wave of Summer Irritants , Alaska Science Forum

Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM

164 posts, read 328,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I think you will find a lot of compatition for the seasonal jobs in the smaller towns. Futhermore there is a good chance what these jobs pay will not cover all of your expenses. Unless you have a decent bankroll be prepared to be willing to work whatever over time is available or possibly work 2 jobs. However, many people that work at these seasonal jobs seem to go out of their way to do as little as possible. Thus if you show even the slightest hint of motivation, opportunities to advance will appear.
Thanks, yeah I know it will be hard that is why I am trying to save up as much as possible before I go, ambition is not a problem, I currently hold down 3 jobs here in KS (1 full time and 2 part time) unfortunately it is not easy anywhere financially for a young single woman... so I might as well be somewhere that makes me happy.

And thank you Marty and Glitch for the advice on the "spring" arrival time, I was figuring it was wishful thinking to assume I could make it in March, heck the Dakotas still have tons of snow at that time... I think I am going to shoot for late April or early May!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska