U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:10 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,709,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
I am 29, and thanks for the advice, I had been thinking of going the "seasonal" route since it will be the right time frame, though I know AK is where I want to live for sure, I just don't want to live in a large city like Anchorage, I want a small town and good people to surround my life without the stress of the city, but willing to drive for work. Thanks for your comments! I have been reading all the threads that are on here and have gotten a lot of insight and everyone seems really nice and greatful to live in such a beautiful part of the country, can't wait till I can wake up in the morning and see it with my own eyes every day...
Hummmmm, "large city" is open to interpretation, Charlotte,N.C. is about 4 times larger than Anchorage (population wise, land area, maybe more). Anchorage is indeed the largest city in Alaska, but, that does not mean it is a large city *****. I believe the saying goes something like " the best thing about Anchorage is that Alaska is closeby" or words to a similar effect. It would not be a bad place to start out, find a job and see if you can take the Alaskan winter. Once there, you can make contacts and perhaps find other work more to your liking. You're young, don't rush things, I've heard too many tales of lower 48'ers moving out in the bush and freezing because they didn't learn to deal with Alaska before they put down roots. As is the case with a lot of wilderness areas, mistakes can kill. And please, don't try to make friends with the wildlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM

164 posts, read 277,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmmm, "large city" is open to interpretation, Charlotte,N.C. is about 4 times larger than Anchorage (population wise, land area, maybe more). Anchorage is indeed the largest city in Alaska, but, that does not mean it is a large city *****. I believe the saying goes something like " the best thing about Anchorage is that Alaska is closeby" or words to a similar effect. It would not be a bad place to start out, find a job and see if you can take the Alaskan winter. Once there, you can make contacts and perhaps find other work more to your liking. You're young, don't rush things, I've heard too many tales of lower 48'ers moving out in the bush and freezing because they didn't learn to deal with Alaska before they put down roots. As is the case with a lot of wilderness areas, mistakes can kill. And please, don't try to make friends with the wildlife.
Ahh.. well darn... and here I was plannin to go up to the first grizzly I found with a T-bone in my hand and try to make a new pet.... what a disappointment....

hmmm.. well plan b then.. and yes I am well aware of Anchorage's population.. I was raised in a town with 3000 people and now live in a town with over 100000 and trust me, I am not a city girl and 100000 is just too many people for me even though it is still not considered a "large" city.. also I am completely aware of Alaska's weather that is what is one of the things that is so intriguing for me, the colder the better.. and trust me I am doing all the research I can possibly do so I won't be one of the "lower 48ers" that is naive enough to not know what I am getting myself into, but thanks for the advise all the same...

Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,611,581 times
Quote:
Thanks, yeah I know it will be hard that is why I am trying to save up as much as possible before I go, ambition is not a problem, I currently hold down 3 jobs here in KS (1 full time and 2 part time) unfortunately it is not easy anywhere financially for a young single woman... so I might as well be somewhere that makes me happy.

And thank you Marty and Glitch for the advice on the "spring" arrival time, I was figuring it was wishful thinking to assume I could make it in March, heck the Dakotas still have tons of snow at that time... I think I am going to shoot for late April or early May!
That is what I did when I moved to Alaska. I left Los Angeles April 27, 1991 and arrived in Alaska on May 4th. It was still cold enough to freeze the dog's water dish solid at night, but the roads were clear of snow and I did not have to deal with any RV traffic.

I think you would like the Kenai Peninsula. The smaller communities of Sterling, Soldotna, and Kenai better fit the kind of place you describe as desirable. Yet they are not that small where the possibility of employment is out of reach.

We will often recommend Anchorage as a starting off point for those who are new to Alaska. Primarily because it is the most like the lower-48, has the most number of jobs available, and it gives Cheechakos time to acclimate and learn enough about Alaska to determine where they really want to live. But Anchorage is not for everyone.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 24,868 times
Hi....
One big different to consider.....Do you need to be near a big city? I LOVE Kenai & Sterling, but they are about 2 hours from Anchorage. Palmer, which I really don't care for is about 40 minutes from Anchorage. I found the people in Kenai & Sterling to be friendly. What about Soldatna? (Just south of Sterling) I would love to live there. And yes....there are places to rent for sure. I hope this helps you....

Old 06-14-2009, 03:41 PM

319 posts, read 840,759 times
Default just do iiiitttt

do like i did. sold what little i had and bought a plane ticket to sitka walked the floats talked to people till i landed a job as a deck hand on a boat. persesain season starts 7/4.but we'd spend 6to 4weeks on the gear. march april may.black cod&halibut. u can get on these boats in seattle too.at fishermans warf.ballard docks ect.also catcher prosessors are in seattle. i had 20$ in my pocket when the plane touched down & i made it. if all else fales there is always the proccesing plants on the beach.

Last edited by unconscious; 06-14-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: u may like fishing villages i know i loved it.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM

319 posts, read 840,759 times
Default ya

how bout saldovia.hoonah. i like hoonah.sittin in jackass pass gettin drunk with rosie.yaaaahoooo!!!!!!!!

Last edited by unconscious; 06-14-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: seldovia was a lot of fun too.worked for john cabbott

Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM

1,629 posts, read 4,763,656 times
Quote:
Hi, I posted my desire of wanting to move to Alaska last week, I have only gotten one comment back and I appreciate it very much but I am at an impasse now and would really like some outside opinions if any of you have time.. I have it narrowed down to 3 towns that I would like to make my home, Sterling, Kenai or Palmer.. can anyone share info on these towns, and maybe which one would be the best fit for me? Is the job market good, is it easy to find a place to rent, is the community welcoming, anything that will help me make up my mind so I can start concentrating more on my move as opposed to where I am moving... make since? Thanks for all your help, it means a lot... Can't believe I have to suffer through one more Kansas summer... blah...
The job market in all 3 cities are bad in my opinion unless you want to work in a big box store for minimum wage. Have a job or at least a possibility lined up before moving, especially in the smaller towns. You could commute to Anchorage from Palmer for work. You should visit before you even begin researching.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,521 times
If you are comming here for work, DON'T. Full time jobs are rare, they all want to give you part time work , even at the BIG BOX stores. and still at low wages. Rent is on the rise and everything cost more here. The Mat-Su valley is great in the summer, but unless you are active outdoorest for winter sports, stick to visits in the summer. I've been here 40+ years, 25+ in mat-su

Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 AM

45 posts, read 90,763 times
Just to chime in here: Walmart will open this fall in Kenai, so now there will be three big box stores within
a hundred yards of one another. But, on the plus side, they seem to all be hiring all the time. Summer brings lots of seasonal jobs in the canneries and on the drift boats/set net sites, with tourism related jobs not far behind. Rent, at least in Kenai/Soldotna is getting more and more reasonable, I understand. Land prices, if you don't want to be on a river or a lake, are also very reasonable, especially in Nikiski or Sterling. On the plus side, winter is kind of a locals only time, with the crush of visitiors gone, and there are more prospects for lining up a job for the coming summer. I've lived in both Palmer and now
here on the Kenai, but my Palmer experience was long ago, before the 4-lane to Anchorage, so can't speak accurately anymore to that area, except that it is close enough to commute, if you like that sort of thing, but I always liked the town and still do. Good luck on your move wherever you decide.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM

164 posts, read 277,095 times
Thank you guys for all the great comments. A few things have came up since my last post, the best of the news is I might have found a place to rent, although it is in Palmer which wasn't my first choice I am sure I would be happy there for a while,then I can travel around and to find my final destination.
I have made an acquaintance there through my job here in KS, she runs our Rally events up there, and she has been very welcoming (it is her rental home that is up for offer) and supportive! It is comforting to know I will have a home to go to when I get there... if I get there I should say... bad news keeps coming my way, my original plan was to come up there with enough money to pay a couple months rent and truck pmts (I'm not leaving my baby behind) so I will have that cushion till I find a job and if I have to work 5 PT jobs instead of one FT I will.. Hell I work 1 ft and 2 pt jobs here now..
I am having a yard sale this month to sell everything I own, not much but whatever helps get me out of this place is a huge bonus! I had a set back a couple weeks ago though Got home from work and someone had broken into my house and among other items they found my stash of "leaving KS" money, it wasn't much but it was all I had and now I have to start over but I will make it, just makes me more determined to get the hell out of here..
Last but not least, just found out I might not be aloud to drive through Canada... grrr.... I got a DUI about 4 yrs ago and although I got a diversion so it is not technically on my record and I did go a yr without a licence (normal first offence sentence) I guess the Canadians won't let you pass through.. so not sure what to do about that yet but I am trying to communicate with the CBP to find out what I have to do..
SO... don't count me out yet... I am still fighting... B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or