U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM

21,040 posts, read 22,834,495 times

Advertisements

I'd go with the North Dakota route, why cross the Rocky Mountains three times? Manitoba and Saskatchewan provinces are flat and easy to cross. Once you hit Minot you can take Highway 52 to the Saskatchewan border and that turns into highway 39 to Moose Jaw. From there head north on Highway 2 up to Highway 11 to Saskatoon. From there stay on Highway 16, the Transcanada highway all the way past Edmonton Alberta where you want to take highway 43 to the British Columbia border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:55 PM

164 posts, read 203,498 times
Thanks Warpt! That was almost the exact way I had mapped out with a few mile improving adjustments!! Now if April would just hurry up and get here already..I'm ready to go..

Old 07-08-2009, 02:39 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,916,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unconscious View Post
do like i did. sold what little i had and bought a plane ticket to sitka walked the floats talked to people till i landed a job as a deck hand on a boat. persesain season starts 7/4.but we'd spend 6to 4weeks on the gear. march april may.black cod&halibut. u can get on these boats in seattle too.at fishermans warf.ballard docks ect.also catcher prosessors are in seattle. i had 20$ in my pocket when the plane touched down & i made it. if all else fales there is always the proccesing plants on the beach.

$20 in your pocket when you touched down in Alaska? Wow, brave soul. Can't imagine doing that.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM

Default To much time to think...

So now that things are a little more set in stone, got a place to live, applied for my pass port, bought a small camper, had a yard sale to sell off what I can do without.. my nerves are taking over now, and I think it ok to have this doubt about such an unforeseeable future.. I tend to doubt myself very much, I have never been a risk taker, I have always kept myself in a safe way, never going out of the bounds.. am I making the right choice? I don't know and I suppose I won't know till I get there and it is to late.. a million little things go through my head, ways I can fail, new ways I can be disappointed in myself if I do.. leaving the security of my job that I love and the family I will miss horribly I can't help but think it is a huge mistake but in my gut I know there is something more for me out there somewhere and I am never going to find it is I stay "safe".. there has got to be more to life then this dreaded existence I wake up to every morning here.. I want both worlds..I want to be as happy in my personal life as I am in my professional life.. then maybe everything else will fall into place and make since.. Can moving 4000 mile form the only home I have known in 30 yrs by myself do that for me?? Well only time will tell..

If I get lucky enough to find a decent job that makes me happy and pays my bills and meet some good people that will take me for me and not just use me for there selfish desires and toss me aside.. I think I can handle my doubts if that is the case.. Life has never been easy..but can't help but think I am making it harder than it has to be by making such a selfish decision of my own, at least I know I am not taking anyone down with me..

Scary stuff this thing called life is.. to be honest I have wanted to give it up quite often only to realize that would be the easy way out and I am better than that.. no one will ever hurt me again, I will create a new exciting beautiful life for myself while holding on tightly in thought to the sacrifices I am making to endure this journey. Time for me to be selfish.. I want to go hiking in those beautiful mountains, I want to walk around in those lazy cities and watch people live, I want to learn how to fish with the best of them to make my dad proud.. and if I have to do this life all alone well then bring it on.. I want to be happy.. for the first time in more yrs than I can count.. just happy..

Can't wait to hopefully meet some of you wonderful people soon. I enjoy readying all your post everyday trying to soak up knowledge. Sorry for this post.. just things I have needed to say out load but with no one to say them too.. Cheers to you all.. Thanks for providing me with good reading material! B

Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,116,997 times
I think you'll be fine. It's not like you're moving up with a passel of kids to support.

When are you going to be starting the move?

One thing...be careful of expecting or wanting Alaska to be the answer to whatever is missing in your life. Think more about what you can give to whatever Alaskan community you end up in than what you can get, and most likely it will all fall into place.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think you'll be fine. It's not like you're moving up with a passel of kids to support.

When are you going to be starting the move?

One thing...be careful of expecting or wanting Alaska to be the answer to whatever is missing in your life. Think more about what you can give to whatever Alaskan community you end up in than what you can get, and most likely it will all fall into place.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, I can't get enough of that.

I will start my drive up the last week of April, that gives me one more "holiday" season with my family. My 8yr old nephew found out last weekend.. really hard to explain to an 8yr old why you are leaving him.. but he will manage (probably better than me)

I really don't expect anything from Ak, except a fresh start.. I know most of my problems will not go away in fact at first I will probably just have a whole new set of them.. but not having to live scared to be home alone and not having someone make it there lives mission to ruin you every chance they get will be the one thing that AK can give me.. he will never find me there..

But unlike that probably sounds... I am so excited, I am really not running away from anything.. there are so many wonderful things I can't wait to see, do, explore.. people to meet.. as fast as the months have been going, April will be here before ya know it and that is what keeps me going.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:46 PM

16,106 posts, read 16,116,997 times
What part of AK did you decide to go to again? It's probably in this thread, I know...

Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What part of AK did you decide to go to again? It's probably in this thread, I know...

I have a place in Palmer. Someone that does some volunteer work running our events lives in Anchorage and owns a place in Palmer as well.. she is going to rent it to me for $700 all bills paid and she is completely remodeling it just for me... Its very comforting to know I have a place to live..

Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'd go with the North Dakota route, why cross the Rocky Mountains three times? Manitoba and Saskatchewan provinces are flat and easy to cross. Once you hit Minot you can take Highway 52 to the Saskatchewan border and that turns into highway 39 to Moose Jaw. From there head north on Highway 2 up to Highway 11 to Saskatoon. From there stay on Highway 16, the Transcanada highway all the way past Edmonton Alberta where you want to take highway 43 to the British Columbia border.

Hey Warpt, is it unreasonable to think I can make this trip in 5 to 6 days? I wasn't worried bout it till I read that it took that gentleman from NY 10.... We were going to drive 12 to 15 hrs a day the way I have it mapped out it should take 5 but I wanted to leave a day for "just in cases", my mom is making the trip up with me so 2 drivers but we will stop to sleep. She has to request time off of work so I need to be sure I can have her back in 7 or 8 days..(oh she will be flying home by the way)...
Thanks!
B

Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 PM

11,772 posts, read 18,400,607 times
With a good supply of amphetamines or cocaine I don't think three days would be impossible. Its not about how quickly you can get there, its about the journey itself. Go at a pace that is comfortable to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska